Wifi Hotspot For BB 9810

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Wifi Hotspot For BB 9810

Hey I was wondering when you will be releasing the new O/S update that allows the Torch 9810 to be a mobile hotspot? the Samsung alread has this feature and is not locked on the Bell network? Blackberry has released the update that enables this feature a few weeks ago.Thanks

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wifi Hotspot For BB 9900

Also wondering the same for Bold 9900. In times as such where RIM is in a uphill battle with just about every mobile platform out there. Carriers should NOT interfere with any of their device upgrades..

I get that Rogers have Rocket sticks and so on. And I get that by snuffing out RIMs 7.1 OS upgrade with hotspot integration is necessary to prolong Rocket sticks existence. But Rogers, If you're going to carry a device.. How about you do just that! Especially in RIMs current state.

Help out a fellow Canadian.. Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Wifi Hotspot For BB 9900

If you look around the internet you'll see that OS 7.1, which includes Wi-Fi hotspot, is already available for the Bold 9900.  It hasn't been officially released by carriers yet, so good luck getting support for it if anything goes wrong, but take comfort that it does exist and will be released officially within the coming weeks (months?).

I hope that helps you.  🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@Billj. Honestly i have added the AT&T version & the RIM Version of the 7.1 (official RIM software release without carrier bloatware) & yet i have never had a issue with the phone. Also if you add lets say a software & the phone goes bad You can easily add the other software back into it unless you bricked / ruined the phone in total in which takes more then this.

Waiting for Rogers is nothing special anyways. Rogers does not do anything to the software all they do is just add their own stuff into it. They do not touch the software to make it better or anything.
Highlighted

@Meowmix, I'd LOVE to see the link from which you downloaded OS 7.1 because I've looked around the internet and all I can find is leaked versions.

As for the AT&T version vs. the RIM version, they're ALL RIM releases until the carriers add their own branding to them (vendor.xml file).  AT&T's is exactly the same as RIM's + the vendor.xml file.

I anxiously await your reply.  🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Wifi Hotspot For BB 9810

Leaked is the same as official OS. As you said the only difference is the vendor xml
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Wifi Hotspot For BB 9810

I'm waiting for the Blackberry 9860 7.1 OS. Rogers sure is taking their time with their official release. I'd prefer to download it officially from the carrier.

They shouldn't be taking this long to push out updates, especially on Blackberry's where things need to be fixed asap. Why doesn't RIM push out the update themselves?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@BillJ

Thanks for that, I've since updated to the 7.1.0.205 version. I'm actually tethering wirelessly to my desktop as I speak, and seems to be golden.. Only reason I had considered waiting for the official carrier release was fear of voiding any warranties or "bricking".  Anyone else considering this, remember to remove the vendor.XML file from your Apploader folder on your laptop/desktop.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

@BillJ i will PM you the link to it..

I had a few issues with it but nothing major. Honestly in order to brick your phone you have to either not install it the right way or do something wrong.

Like Marliemount said REMOVE the Vendor.XML from the Apploader & it should work fine.
Highlighted

For anyone interested in the 7.1 OS, I'm currently running 7.1.0.205 on my Torch 9860 and it runs like a dream!  The Wi-Fi hotspot feature RULES!  I've encountered no major problems so far, although I am seeing some pretty fierce memory leakage.  I routinely do 3-4 battery pulls per week, so the memory drain is of no consequence.

More updates as events warrant.  🙂