WiFi radio signal cuts in and out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bogard
I've Been Around

WiFi radio signal cuts in and out

SMC8014W-G router is not performing reliably. A Rogers person said that the problem is caused by the radio station; is that true?

***edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: WiFi radio signal cuts in and out

Both the SMC and the cisco from rogers, are known to have some signal issues PERIOD.. they dont seem to work as well as a stand alone router.

But that being said.. there can be things that effect it.

location.  In a basement, etc.. there can be ibeams, etc that get in the way and can interfear with signal, espeicaly if they are close.

Other things using the same frequencies.  Depending on what you are using (G or N wireless), they are often on the same frequency ranges as portable phones (2.5 and 5.8).  These can interfear with it as well.  Chaning the frequency can possibly help some.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Bogard wrote:

SMC8014W-G router is not performing reliably. A Rogers person said that the problem is caused by the radio station; is that true?

Sounds like another CSR who is making it up as he goes! First I ever heard of that one though!

As Gdkitty mentioned though, both the SMC and the CISCO modems suffer from both poor range and dropped connections. What many do is to have the modem placed in bridge mode (disabling the router) and then use their own router. This of course defeats the purpose of the gateway, but what else are you going to do when Rogers does not authorize a stand alone D3 modem?

The CISCO is generally considered better than the SMC so you might want to try and exchange your SMC for the CISCO if it is a rented unit. I would still put it into bridge mode though.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What IHR has said is correct.. many users so choose to forgo the built in router and use their own.

But bar you owning another router, i would recomend trying a few of what i have sugested. 
Those things can effect ANY router.

At my split level basment apartment before i moved into my house.. router was like 2 feet from an ibeam.. and there was a phone base between me and the router.. when the phone rang.. i got knocked offline >.<