cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Tethering with Infuse 4G on Rogers

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

I called support and they "enabled" tethering on my account but I still can't use my phone as a "Mobile AP".

All of my devices (iTouch, Acer A500, wide Acer Liquid E) will connect via WiFi and within a few seconds acquire an IP address but I can't do anything else without getting a connection error when they timeout (browser, Facebook App, Weather App, etc).

No luck Googling the problem - everyone else seemed to have an error when enabling Mobile AP but with older phones updated to Froyo 2.2. The Infuse came with 2.3.3 installed.  My Mobile AP enables within a few seconds and the blue Mobile AP and the 4G symbols come on. I did notice when I first fire up an app and it trying to use the data connection that the 4G symbol will show activity of a couple of seconds and then that's it.

Any suggestions as tech support says they "do not officially support" tethering? 

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: WiFi Tethering with Infuse 4G on Rogers

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Frisky, I called again yesterday to have Name Display added and at the same time asked about tethering. The gentleman on the phone verified I wanted turned on for my Hamilton number and then asked me to remove the battery from my phone for 3 to 4 minutes. It's now working - maybe it was turned on for my wife's phone instead of mine last week. Either way, it's working and I am happy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Friskywhiskers
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey -  simple question - what kind of data plan do you have?  - if it's just 500 MB - you need at least 1 GB plan to tether - call Rogers CC and ask them to check to make sure you have the correct plan that allows tethering.  Good luck!

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks. I did know that though - I have a 2GB family share with my wife. I'll call them though. I'm just curious if anyone has done it with the Infuse 4G without rooting and such.

Friskywhiskers
I Plan to Stick Around

ok!    Well for starters you are on the wrong plan if you want to tether  - family share plans with only 2GB of data do not allow for tethering - don't ask me why - just the way it is - if you want to keep your plan as is you need to upgrade to 4GB of sharable data   I included the link for family share plans - hope that helps!   http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WLRS_Plans&category=FAMILY

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! That helps tremendously. Now to figure out why it's like that - LOL.

I wouldn't use tethering very often but it would be nice to have if needed. It shouldn't matter which plan you are on, data is data IMO whether I am surfing on my phone or downloading an app to my iPod.

I really appreciate the help and let you know what happens.

JayPoel
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Frisky, I called again yesterday to have Name Display added and at the same time asked about tethering. The gentleman on the phone verified I wanted turned on for my Hamilton number and then asked me to remove the battery from my phone for 3 to 4 minutes. It's now working - maybe it was turned on for my wife's phone instead of mine last week. Either way, it's working and I am happy.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation