WiFi Tethering with Infuse 4G on Rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

WiFi Tethering with Infuse 4G on Rogers

Has anyone managed to get this to work?

I called support and they "enabled" tethering on my account but I still can't use my phone as a "Mobile AP".

All of my devices (iTouch, Acer A500, wide Acer Liquid E) will connect via WiFi and within a few seconds acquire an IP address but I can't do anything else without getting a connection error when they timeout (browser, Facebook App, Weather App, etc).

No luck Googling the problem - everyone else seemed to have an error when enabling Mobile AP but with older phones updated to Froyo 2.2. The Infuse came with 2.3.3 installed.  My Mobile AP enables within a few seconds and the blue Mobile AP and the 4G symbols come on. I did notice when I first fire up an app and it trying to use the data connection that the 4G symbol will show activity of a couple of seconds and then that's it.

Any suggestions as tech support says they "do not officially support" tethering? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Tethering with Infuse 4G on Rogers

Hey Frisky, I called again yesterday to have Name Display added and at the same time asked about tethering. The gentleman on the phone verified I wanted turned on for my Hamilton number and then asked me to remove the battery from my phone for 3 to 4 minutes. It's now working - maybe it was turned on for my wife's phone instead of mine last week. Either way, it's working and I am happy.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey -  simple question - what kind of data plan do you have?  - if it's just 500 MB - you need at least 1 GB plan to tether - call Rogers CC and ask them to check to make sure you have the correct plan that allows tethering.  Good luck!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks. I did know that though - I have a 2GB family share with my wife. I'll call them though. I'm just curious if anyone has done it with the Infuse 4G without rooting and such.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ok!    Well for starters you are on the wrong plan if you want to tether  - family share plans with only 2GB of data do not allow for tethering - don't ask me why - just the way it is - if you want to keep your plan as is you need to upgrade to 4GB of sharable data   I included the link for family share plans - hope that helps!   http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WLRS_Plans&category=FAMILY

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! That helps tremendously. Now to figure out why it's like that - LOL.

I wouldn't use tethering very often but it would be nice to have if needed. It shouldn't matter which plan you are on, data is data IMO whether I am surfing on my phone or downloading an app to my iPod.

I really appreciate the help and let you know what happens.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Frisky, I called again yesterday to have Name Display added and at the same time asked about tethering. The gentleman on the phone verified I wanted turned on for my Hamilton number and then asked me to remove the battery from my phone for 3 to 4 minutes. It's now working - maybe it was turned on for my wife's phone instead of mine last week. Either way, it's working and I am happy.

View solution in original post