cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling with IOS 8

ximofo
I've Been Here Awhile

With rogers being on record that they will support wifi calling in ios 8, and with the GM now available, when should we be expecting a carrier update to enable it?

***Edited Labels.***

134 REPLIES 134

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Shawnieboy
I Plan to Stick Around
No that's ok my plan is fine but I wanted to replace one number with this but one number provides so much more except for iPhone integration

Shawnieboy
I Plan to Stick Around
And for some reason I can't use both one number and wifi calling which I don't understand either

Thank you for confirming that information @Shawnieboy!

I am glad to know that you are satisfied with your plan.

Theoretically speaking, Wi-Fi calling and Rogers One Number should not be compatible and that might have been the reason why you were experiencing issues yesterday.

In the end, you get the best of both worlds! Smiley LOL

RogersMaude

codemonk
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersMaude

I have a very high tolerance to understand corporate speak and ocassionally I enjoy writing some of it myself .

(I know it is a guilty pleasure but hey nobody is perfect)

So DearMaude, In order to further increase my customer satisfaction and induce a long term positive relationship between me and Rogers Communication I would  like to give the opportunity to you to help me better understand this statement:

"There seems to be confusion pertaining to the way Wi-Fi calling is billed.
You are not charged a certain rate per minute for using that function. 
It simply goes according to your regular monthly plan."

Specificaly would you be so kind and explain again to me what would happend in the following theorethical scenario:

A long term Rogers customer just happends to have a plan that allows him to enjoy 300 free anytime minutes every month wherafter every minute is charged at  $0.35 for each minute. What would be the charged amount for phone services at the end of the billingperiod if said Rogers customer uses his or her 300 minutes for calls (either cellular or wifi call) and then makes  a 100 minute local  wifi call on Monday 10AM ?

My understanding is that for every minute of wifi call , one minute is deducted from the pool of available minutes or if no more  minutes  left in the pool then whatever is the contracted rate per minute will be charged. I think this effectively  establishes the price per minute for a WiFi call.  In the above scenario would Rogers charge $35 for the call ?

I truly would like to congratulate Rogers to introduce this groundbreaking service only a year after it was announced and applaud their industry leading wisdom and foresigth to  establish a price point for it that would ensure the long term profitability of this great institution. 

Your answer is eagerly waited and greatly appreciated.

Lol at that response, made my laugh for the day.

I personally can see where Rogers is coming from re wifi calling being chargeable. When you make a call over the HSPA+/VoLTE network, you are using the tower to leverage what is theoretically an internet connection to Rogers' backend, which then routes the call and completes it. When you use wi-fi calling, your wi-fi connection is simply replacing the tower. You still have to leverage Rogers' backend systems to route and complete your call. So it isn't "totally free" for Rogers to provide the service. It still costs them money when you use their backend.

The reason RON probably didn't use minutes up was probably because they knew how much it actually sucked, whereas wi-fi calling is an easier, better integrated way of doing it. RON is also a poorly-done VOIP service, whereas wi-fi calling is of similar or better quality of sound to the cell towers. So better service = higher price point.

To solve the issue you could always switch to a plan with unlimited minutes. The pricing isn't that horrible if you ask to speak to client care/retentions, and with roam like home to sweeten the pot vs older grandfathered plans, it just might be worth it.
Cheers 🙂

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us @jackthecompguySmiley Wink

Hello again @codemonk,

It would be my pleasure to reach out to you via Private Message.

We could look into your account and see if we would have the chance to offer you a price plan with unlimited airtime.

I would obviously do everything I possibly can to either keep your pricing the same or try to lower it.

Let me know!

RogersMaude

Has anyone tried updating from iOS 9.0 public release with the correct carrier update for Wi-Fi calling, to the 9.1 Public Beta?

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around

regardless to how you connect to the call you are making/getting ultimately that call is being routed through Rogers phone network and thus they are still billed for connecting calls to the party you are speaking with.

Can0nfan
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm running iOS 9.1 public beta on a 6+ (updated from all the previous Dev 9.0 Betas and running Rogers 21.1.5 as carrier settings) and Wifi Calling is working...as long as Rogers One Number is not activated on your account. My phone is actually on Wifi Rogers right now at work where I have only 2 bars of Rogers LTE coverage it seems to grab on automatically when it dips below 3 bars...the call quality is insane!  i could hear my wife breathing and little things in the background that no cell call ever could before. I cant wait for VoLTE to come to iPhone now. I know it can support it with a carrier update. any update on that Rogers? i see the original LG phone is now at home on VoLTE with a bunch of Samsung phones now

View solution in original post