WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Pretty sure you need a Share Everything plan for wifi calling anyways, dont you? And those have unlimited mins usually. I personally think its helpful as I usually find people can't hear me as well over H+ when i'm in my basement, have to be on the second story. So wi-fi calling should end up being a clearer signal. As well as being able to send standard SMS over wifi.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

RON is crap on mobile for sure. It drops every call I made after a couple mintutes even when standing next to the router.

On the other hand RON works great on my Mac. I use it every day for over an hour and it costs me zero minutes.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey Community,

Note: We're aware that some customers are experiencing issues enabling Wi-Fi Calling and we're currently working through determining the cause and implementing a fix as soon as possible.

You may experience an error message like this:

iOS9 WiFi EN_6.PNG

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't get an error, my toggle just never turns on after I enter the 911 information. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

make sure port 500 udp is not blocked, thats used for initial provision when wifi calling is turned on. port 4500 udp is used for all data transmission through wifi calling after its on

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How long will it take for Wifi Calling to be working? I have been using Rogers One Number for a while and it is a major battery drain so I would really love to be able to stop using it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Why does wifi calling use minutes when RON doesn't. This makes no sense.
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Thanks all. Up and running on wi-fi calling now. Just had to give it 24 hrs... Went in at 4pmish today, switched toggle on, entered 911 info, 5 mins later I am in business. I left, went to my school (which has bad wifi) for an hour, did not get wi-fi calling there, but as soon as I was home and on my (very good) wifi connection it instantly flopped over to wifi calling.Screenshot_1.png

Highlighted

Good day @Shawnieboy!

Thank you for your post!  Smiley Wink

Our objective is to improve customer experience and provide calling and messaging services in areas with poor or no cellular coverage using your wireless phone number. Unlike other apps such as Viber, WhatsApp or FaceTime, Wi-Fi calling allows you to use your own business phone number to call and message anyone.

When you use Wi-Fi calling, you are still leveraging Rogers Network to complete your calls and messages using your wireless phone number, and you are therefore licensing costs incurred by Rogers to let you use your phone number over Wi-Fi. As a result, billing of voice over Wi-Fi is treated the same way as being made over the traditional network. 

You indicated yesterday not being able to turn Wi-Fi calling on after entering the 9-11 information. If you are having issues using Wi-Fi calling, you should ensure the firewalls in place allow UDP Port 500/4500 and ESP Protocols, as @inferno129 stated above.

If you are still experiencing difficulties, please let us know!

It would be my pleasure to reach out to you directly via Private Message.

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersMaude,

Sorry but your argument is deeply flawed.

Lets see an example:  Rogers currently offers the Share Everything plan with 500 Mb data that  includes free Wifi calling for $55.  On the other hand my $80/month grandfathered plan with 6Gb data does not include free wifi calling. I pay way more yet I do not get the free Wifi calling.

Lets approach this differently, Your argument is that Wifi calling is not free since there is a cost associated with the call as the call is using the Rogers backbone network. Currently Rogers cheapest internet package is 25Gb/$25 monthly plus modem rental. Your FAQ states that one hour of Wifi calling requires about 75 Mb data.  It is a very  simple math to calculate what would wifi call cost if we would use Rogers ISP pricing for the backhaul network cost:

ROGERS ISP price: 0.0012 dollars / minute  -- ROGERS WIRELESS price  0.35 dollars / minute

ROGERS WIRELESS 286 times more expensive

it gets even worst when a more realistic  internet package is used: 200Gb/$50 monthly:

ROGERS ISP priec: 0.0003 dollars / minute  -- ROGERS WIRELESS price  0.35 dollars / minute

ROGERS WIRELESS 1146 times more expensive

BTW I'm not eve sure what the CRTC would do if someone would file a complain that Rogers is double charging them for the same service as the customer would pay $.35 cent a minute for the wifi call  and then charged again for the network traffic.

Now, if you objective is truly to "improve customer experience and provide calling and messaging services in areas with poor or no cellular coverage" then why dont't you try to deliver on that objective for all of your cellurar subscribers not just the ones that are on certain recent plans ?

Please understand that I'm not neccessarily advocate making wifi calls completly free.  Rogers is profit oriented business and at the end  nothing is free. What I'm trying to suggest here is that he pricing should be consistent. "A megabyte is a megabyte" and Rogers cannot just charge thousand time more for something that is sold by Rogers for far less or provided free.