cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling with IOS 8

ximofo
I've Been Here Awhile

With rogers being on record that they will support wifi calling in ios 8, and with the GM now available, when should we be expecting a carrier update to enable it?

***Edited Labels.***

134 REPLIES 134

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Quick sort of off topic question - does Rogers support Wi-Fi calling on any non-iOS devices? Like Note 5, S6 etc? And same with VoLTE? Where is VoLTE?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @jackthecompguy

Some LG devices use VoLTE. I remember a long time ago Blackberries and some android devices used WiFi calling. No its hard to see that

Thanks Meowmix... Thought i'd try 🙂
I am happy with Rogers compared with my last provider for wireless but just a little disappointed stuff like VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling has taken so long to be mainstream.

inferno129
I'm a Reliable Contributor
ill believe the article when i see "Rogers Wi-Fi" & a setting for it in settings/a carrier update..

i will not be, in the slightest, surprised if another year goes by with rogers being silent & no wifi calling, AGAIN..

remember when they said itll launch when ios 8 was available.? ya.....

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @inferno129

As posted above, MS did get something telling them that Rogers and Fido will release it with IOS 9. Again we shall see what Rogers says about this

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @inferno129

" Now with Wi-Fi Calling, Rogers customers on an eligible monthly plan can call and text in even more places using a compatible iPhone.6 Stay connected to friends and family wherever there’s a Wi-Fi connection – in places like basements, condos and tall buildings.

Available in areas with a Wi-Fi connection where there is unusable mobile network coverage. Customers must enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature and have a compatible device (iPhone 5C or greater purchased in North America) and Rogers postpaid wireless plan. Regular usage rates apply as per your plan. Visit rogers.com/wificallingfaq for full terms and conditions."

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/why-rogers

codemonk
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is the FAQ from Rogers:
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/wi-fi-calling/2196

It is a good first try but needs some clarifications: For example what happens when somebody has unlimited free evenings and weekends calls. Would be the wifi call free for those time periods ?

Also the FAQ states that:

"Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to Wi-Fi Calling:

• Rogers One Number"

This is interresting. So if I have RON on my account then I cannot have Wifi calling? Why is this and how would that work ? If I interpret this correctly I can have free incoming and outgoing  calls using RON but if I want to use WIFI calling and pay $0.25 a minute for the same service then Rogers does not want my money ?

Lets talk about pricing:

I think that Rogers should price the wifi calls cheaper than the regular over the air cell calls. If they can do free local calls on RON why they do not provide the same for free on Wifi ? Essentially both are voip calls and the wholesale  cost of a voip call in north america is $0.001 cents a minute currently.  

This pricing scheme encourages customer to get the unlimited call /text share everything accounts as that would include also unlimited wifi calling. The problem with this approach is that it does not encourages offloading from the cell network to local wifi unless the cell network is not usable.  Making wifi calling free or at least significantly cheaper than any calls routed through the cell network would promote the right behaviour: Use wifi whenever it is available (and offload  a large load from the cell network) and save cell network capacity for those who are truly mobile and away from their wifi. 

T-Mobile offers wifi calling for free for their postpaid customers and charges regular rates for prepaid customers. Rogers should follow the same practice.

inferno129
canadian companies never follow the americans, like they should, & t-mobile's ceo is..different..than the majority (in a great way too) so dont hope for it

inferno129

its sept 16 ios 9 release day, still no carrier update on iphone 6 with ios 9. still at rogers 21.0

dieselx
I Plan to Stick Around
Public release usually comes around 1pm EST. My guess carrier settings will be updated once iOS 9 is live. Knowing Rogers they probably won't lol. GM build hasn't had an updated carrier.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @inferno129

As the above user said, the public release time for ios9 is at 1pm EST. After that it may take a couple of minutes or hours for the carrier settings to kick in.

Just checked for an update on my iPhone and it still says 8.4.1 is current. I imagine it will show up this afternoon. Not sure why people keep talking about EST when we're on EDT, so we'll see what happens at 1PM ET. I think it's much easier to talk about ET rather than EST or EDT. Presumably, we all know what time of year it is. Smiley Wink

inferno129
rogers 21.1 is it actually here & working!?

no..after entering 911 address it says its fine & wifi calling was added to my account & its provisioning, the setup page then closes back to the wifi calling toggle which is still disabled..turning it on again starts the loop again with 911 address & itll keep doing this over & over..

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @inferno129

Have you tried restarting your device or doing a factory reset to see if that will fix it? I know some in the states are having major issues not being able to install the update / the update is messing around with settings.

Checked my phone just after 1pm ET and got the iOS 9 update. Installed it and everything seems fine on my old 4S.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @jimboden

Great to see everything works great!

inferno129

thats the first thing i did, for the last 40+ mins i couldnt log into the forum/my rogers either..

after spamming it it finally gave a different error with slightly useful information, telling me to contact my carrier, i did. had to turn off one number, fine.

yet again rebooted reset network settings those are ruled out, wifi calling was able to toggle on now. still no "Rogers Wi-Fi" in status bar.

now its off again & upon trying to turn it on, its a 50/50 of giving me the same contact my carrier message, or showing a rogers page that says "we are unable to process your request at this time. please contact customer support 1-888-764-3771"..my account was checked & theres nothing stopping it from working all that had to be done was disable one number, its off, wifi calling isnt working still..

Ok just so I am clear. 

1) If I use Wifi calling even when in Canada it still uses up my minutes?  WHY?? Rogers 1 number uses no minutes when using VOIP.

2) If I turn on Wifi calling I can no longer use Rogers One number?

3) When I turn to turn on Wifi calling it say "Contact your carrier".

Wonderful.

inferno129

after my second call i had a network reset done on my account, still no wifi calling "to allow wifi calling on this account, contact your carrier"..

im not surprised at all, i expected this to not just turn on & work that easily..

edit: it looks like its starting to show signs of life, it says "WiFi Rogers" now, test call to 611 worked..but its taking a long time 1-4 minutes after connecting to wifi to switch to it. if its in airplane mode, forced to another carrier to force no service, or legit no service from dead zone etc, it will connect to wifi calling almost instantly within 10 seconds. when its got connection to a tower it lags its time it takes to move to wifi calling.

but if i try to change my emergency address it goes back to giving me that i need to contact my carrier error message again, not that i need to just testing the options..bandwidth is about 75kbps down & 12kbps up so even caveman internet should handle it fine. after rebooting the iphone it takes up to 15 minutes to switch to wifi rogers..toggling the setting does nothing. my wifi network is quality with signal & not lagging, i have qos on it, firewall isnt blocking anything so its not on my end.

what needs fixing:

-updating emergency address, thats a serious thing

-users on ios 9.1 beta still have rogers 20.5 with no wifi calling, they dont get an update, even though on 9.0 the carrier version with wifi calling is 20.1. ios probably doesnt allow it cause it thinks its an older version, solution? repush the carrier update as rogers 20.6..

-lag time from when being on a wifi network, to when it says "WiFi Rogers"

-after rebooting the phone it takes over 10 minutes to move to wifi calling

I'm currently restoring from 9.1 PB to the iOS 9 general release, update carrier settings, then i'm going to reupdate to 9.1 and restore from my backup and see what happens. I want wi-fi calling darnit 😉

EDIT: I'm on an iPhone 6 🙂

Sigh. "Please contact your carrier"
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats