WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Here is the FAQ from Rogers:
http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/wi-fi-calling/2196

It is a good first try but needs some clarifications: For example what happens when somebody has unlimited free evenings and weekends calls. Would be the wifi call free for those time periods ?

Also the FAQ states that:

"Customers with select features and services, including any of the following, will not have access to Wi-Fi Calling:

• Rogers One Number"

This is interresting. So if I have RON on my account then I cannot have Wifi calling? Why is this and how would that work ? If I interpret this correctly I can have free incoming and outgoing  calls using RON but if I want to use WIFI calling and pay $0.25 a minute for the same service then Rogers does not want my money ?

Lets talk about pricing:

I think that Rogers should price the wifi calls cheaper than the regular over the air cell calls. If they can do free local calls on RON why they do not provide the same for free on Wifi ? Essentially both are voip calls and the wholesale  cost of a voip call in north america is $0.001 cents a minute currently.  

This pricing scheme encourages customer to get the unlimited call /text share everything accounts as that would include also unlimited wifi calling. The problem with this approach is that it does not encourages offloading from the cell network to local wifi unless the cell network is not usable.  Making wifi calling free or at least significantly cheaper than any calls routed through the cell network would promote the right behaviour: Use wifi whenever it is available (and offload  a large load from the cell network) and save cell network capacity for those who are truly mobile and away from their wifi. 

T-Mobile offers wifi calling for free for their postpaid customers and charges regular rates for prepaid customers. Rogers should follow the same practice.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

canadian companies never follow the americans, like they should, & t-mobile's ceo is..different..than the majority (in a great way too) so dont hope for it
Highlighted

its sept 16 ios 9 release day, still no carrier update on iphone 6 with ios 9. still at rogers 21.0

I Plan to Stick Around

Public release usually comes around 1pm EST. My guess carrier settings will be updated once iOS 9 is live. Knowing Rogers they probably won't lol. GM build hasn't had an updated carrier.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @inferno129

As the above user said, the public release time for ios9 is at 1pm EST. After that it may take a couple of minutes or hours for the carrier settings to kick in.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Just checked for an update on my iPhone and it still says 8.4.1 is current. I imagine it will show up this afternoon. Not sure why people keep talking about EST when we're on EDT, so we'll see what happens at 1PM ET. I think it's much easier to talk about ET rather than EST or EDT. Presumably, we all know what time of year it is. Smiley Wink

Highlighted

rogers 21.1 is it actually here & working!?

no..after entering 911 address it says its fine & wifi calling was added to my account & its provisioning, the setup page then closes back to the wifi calling toggle which is still disabled..turning it on again starts the loop again with 911 address & itll keep doing this over & over..
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @inferno129

Have you tried restarting your device or doing a factory reset to see if that will fix it? I know some in the states are having major issues not being able to install the update / the update is messing around with settings.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Checked my phone just after 1pm ET and got the iOS 9 update. Installed it and everything seems fine on my old 4S.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @jimboden

Great to see everything works great!