cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Calling with IOS 8

ximofo
I've Been Here Awhile

With rogers being on record that they will support wifi calling in ios 8, and with the GM now available, when should we be expecting a carrier update to enable it?

***Edited Labels.***

134 REPLIES 134

Re: WiFi Calling with IOS 8

Aαron
I'm Here A Lot

So I pretty much got my Iphone because Rogers announced wi-fi calling because of the lack of cell reception in my basement (no signal pretty much all the time) My old Iphone 4 used to get 2 bars down here pretty much all the time.

Pretty dissapointed it hasn't been released yet and I hope it comes out soon...

Quick question; With Rogers One Number, I've been using it and it seems like a great alternative for now, I cannot however, send any picture messages even though this and Rogers advertises MMS support with the app....and the duplicate messages suck but I guess I can turn off some setting to turn that off.

Looking forward to your replies, thanks.

inferno129
I'm a Reliable Contributor
seen this a few days ago

https://twitter.com/iOS_Support/status/517169176902139904

im running ios 8.1 beta 1 on iphone 6, theres still been no carrier update or wifi calling option, rogers? unless it will be "activated" in beta 2 or final which i doubt

also this

https://twitter.com/iOS_Support/status/517166802183659520

i only have enable cell data & enable lte. my iphone 4 & 4s years back did allow to switch between EDGE & 3g(rogers hspa+ network is still showing "3g", still waiting on "4g"), it seems to have been stripped starting at iphone 5 & above..

i feel like speaking to rogers iphone department but something tells me theyre going to know absolutely nothing about wifi calling or the addition of EDGE data toggle, like most reps in any company. yet apple is always in constant communication with their carriers for things like this & their carriers need to approve the ios update too.

with rogers being the largest wireless company in canada..makes me wonder what the smaller companies must be like & how bad/slow they are for these things..

I agree! Rogers, give us more information about the ETA. This is a very awaited feature. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Inferno129 & 88825455

I agree. Rogers NEEDS to give us a ETA or atleast give us something so we know. The iPhone 6 / 6+ & IOS8 came out almost a month ago.. Still waiting for WiFi calling.. I would expect it before the new year or after.

any news on this today - and does anyone know when it will happen 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Cygbetinn1

Unfortunately there isn't any news on this yet. I wish there was tho as many of us are looking forward too it.

inferno129

well rogers? whats so hard about doing what u say to ur customers? u guys can spend that *effort* to tweak the forum user interface, but dear god when it comes to a major feature that u guys go public about, hide away in complete silence..

djnewb
I've Been Here Awhile

and now any news on that matter?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello djnewb

Unfortunately there is no news at this time from Rogers. They said they will enable it when IOS8 comes out but nothing after that.

saqib2013
I've Been Around

Hi,

Any idea when Iphone will launch wifi Calling (UMA) feature on iOS8 and roger will support that in iphone 6.

inferno129

so..? clearly not by 2014 let alone when ios 8 launched, huh rogers? is 2024 a decent guess? since u refuse to speak about something u went PUBLIC about.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello inferno129

Agreed at this point everyone is taking what Rogers said about WiFi Calling with grain of salt. I was really happy to own the 6 Plus & use WiFi calling on it but after a few months of not being able too because Rogers decided NOT to say anything about it i was not too happy to say the least. They made a public statement about it months ago & have not delivered anything else about it since.

hockeyt
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on the verge of moving to another provider for my 2 cell phone lines.
Within last year, I have logged 2 technical tickets with Rogers due to poor cell phone reception in my house.

Potential WiFi calling capability with latest iPhones is the only thing that kept me with Rogers, hoping it would help with calls being dropped.

Announcement was:

"We’ll support the iOS 8 Wi-Fi calling feature when it becomes available in Canada.."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/rogers-wireless-becomes-second-carrier-to-confirm-ios-8-wi...

Now, 3 months passed by since iOS 8 release, and we are still waiting..

Dropped calls are extremely annoying, and I just hope somebody at Rogers would come out and give us a more concrete update rather than just "stay tuned". How much more?

hockeyt:

By any change, do you have Rogers One Number? It works on Wi-Fi. I've tried it on my old IPhone 4S and it seems to work OK. Normally, I just use RON on my computer and not my iPhone.

hockeyt
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I've tried it a couple of times and it's not very seamless. There are delays when you open the app and for some reason the quality is inferior, even though my Internet is good. Ookla shows 35Mbit/s downstream and 10 up.

My expectation wifi calling would offer better quality.

hockeyt:

I've tried it a few times, but have also noticed the poor quality. I usually get a bar across the screen near the top saying there are network issues or words to that effect. I have the Hybrid 150 package with an ASUS router and get download speeds on my old iPhone 4S up to 48mbps, so there's certainly nothing wrong with my Wi-Fi.

hockeyt
I've Been Here Awhile

so, I guess we don't expect any answers from Rogers on these forums?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello hockeyt

Unfortunately the forums are user to user help forums. Hopefully we do get a answer on this topic tho.

KWUser
Unbelievable that over 6 months after rushing to announce support, Rogers still has "no comment" as their official answer.

This is a perfect example of a customer service fail. Over promise and under deliver.

If you guys can't figure it out, maybe hire some engineers from T-Mobile. They enabled support immediately.

Rogers. This is PATHETIC!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello tingtong

I agree but it seems Rogers is not the only carrier that is doing this. Other carriers said they would enable it once ios8 comes out but seems like they havent either but Rogers does need to come out say something.
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats