cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

audit13
I've Been Around

I live in the High Park area of Toronto. Duirng the day, my internet download speeds are awesome. After 6:00 pm, they drop like a rock. It barely reaches Rogers Lite speeds. Anyone else notice this trend? The last time this happened was months ago and that was because Rogers has replacing or repairing their servers?

This is driving me crazy, enough to jump ship to dsl or Bell's Fibe.

***edited labels***

52 REPLIES 52

Re: Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around
Open router was meant non restricted to the people that have the password and not "closed" mac address restricted. Sorry. And do you mean the upload amd download results I get from a speed test or from the routers logs? If you want my router logs I will have to set it to report traffic and we me the results (I assume if you mean that that it can be done) if that is what you want then you will have to walk me through the section where I can do that in the router docsis page(s) there are anumber of subpages so it will save me time going through them all

What modem do you have?  I think in every modem there is a separate Status page titled DOCSIS WAN, which contains two tables a downstream signal level table and an upstream signal level table.  Those tables refer to tne voltage levels on the cable and the signal to noise ratios, which are independant of the downstream / upstream data counts.

Cisco DPC-3825:  STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN tab

Hitron CGN2:  STATUS......CM STATUS tab

Hitron CGN3:  STATUS......DOCSIS WAN tab

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio: Channel 1: -20.9 dBmV 31.0 dB Channel 2: -24.0 dBmV 28.0 dB Channel 3: -19.0 dBmV 32.8 dB Channel 4: -24.3 dBmV 27.6 dB Channel 5: -24.4 dBmV 26.3 dB Channel 6: -18.0 dBmV 33.6 dB Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Channel 8: -18.5 dBmV 33.0 dB    

Upstream Channels         Power Level: Channel 1: 56.5 dBmV Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV         Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio: Channel 1: -20.9 dBmV 31.0 dB Channel 2: -24.0 dBmV 28.0 dB Channel 3: -19.0 dBmV 32.8 dB Channel 4: -24.3 dBmV 27.6 dB Channel 5: -24.4 dBmV 26.3 dB Channel 6: -18.0 dBmV 33.6 dB Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB Channel 8: -18.5 dBmV 33.0 dB    

Upstream Channels         Power Level: Channel 1: 56.5 dBmV Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, you have some pretty severe signal level issues.  Time to call tech support and arrange for a tech to visit your home.

The downstream levels are around -21.3 dBmV and you are missing a downstream channel, so you are only running on 7 out of 8 downstream channels.

The upstream only has one channel instead of three, and that channel is running at the maximum level for single channel operation.  The combination of the low signal levels on the downstream and single channel upstream is severely limiting your data rates.  That points to a cable and connector issue.  Make sure that the cable is tightly screwed down on your modem connection point. 

Do you use a power bar by any chance to plug in all of your equipment?  If so, unplug the powerbar completely for test purposes.  Use extension cords if you have to to run your equipment.  Power bars very often contain a metal oxide varistor to protect devices from overvoltages, but, when that varistor starts to break down, it can cause and emit RF noise into the RG-6 cable.  So, if you do use one, unplug it, and when you're back up and running, look at the numbers again. 

The signal level range for the downstream is - 15 dBmV to + 15 dBmV, ideally at 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratio in the 36 to 40 dB range.  The upstream is normally from 36 to 51 dBmV with three channels running.

The one problem that you have is the possiblity of a single line going to the house which is split 4 ways at the entrance.  If so, that splitter will drop the signal by 7.5 dBmV.  Reaching your apartment, will be another splitter, with at least a 3.5 dBmV drop.  So, possibly you're down -11 dBmV to start with.  Signal amps are a bad idea as they can apparenlty cause packet loss, so, the signal levels necessary to drive all four apartments has to come from the node, and depending on how far that might be, its possible that signal levels will not be sufficiently high when they reach the building entrance.  Its possible that another cable or two might need to be installed.  It will depend on what the tech finds when he or she checks the cables and connectors.

I would say that its probably a good bet that your neighbors are suffering from the same problems.

Hi @machv5,

I’m sorry to learn about the slow speeds you are experiencing, thank you for posting RF table per @Datalink request. That table definitely helps, seems like modem receiving strong upstream signal but not all channels bonding and downstream power levels are off as well. Tech visit is required. I’m going to have someone reach out to you in Private Message, please check our Messages from the Envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Regards,

RogersMoin

-----

PS: Thanks @Datalink . Great analysis as usual

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

OK I am the first to admit that upon hearing this interpretation of my table's results that there is likely a hardware fault (my cable is screwed in tightly no pun intended) something which has never been pointed out to me before that I may have been a little hasty with my negative posts (which were removed) tech support either at the store when they switched my modem nor on the phone (which was a nightmare due to my using a wifi phone)

So if anything from now on I will be using this forum as a first resort instead of the other avenues i mentioned.

Out of curiosity what should a typical set of tables look like so I have a comparison, ansd which may help others in the same boat as me.

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

k ty

Have a look at msg #19 on the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

That table is from my CGN3 last summer.  Ideally the downstream signal levels should all read zero.  The signal to noise ratios should be between 36 to 40 dB typically.  Typically the field tech aims for 3 to 5 dBmV signal level when the installation is done or corrected.  That allows the signal levels to drop over time as the cables and connectors age.  The cables and connectors don't last forever, and every once in a while a field tech has to replace one or both 

The upstream should have three channels with a signal level in the 36 to 40 dBmV range typically.  That is the modem output power heading back to the node.  As the cables and connectors age, the node and modem communicate with each other to set that power level, and with aging affecting the cables and connectors, that signal level goes up to overcome the resistance in the cables that run back to the node.  If the modem can't supply enough power for three channels, it drops one upstream channel, running on two channels.  If there isn't enough power for dual channel operation at some point, another channel is dropped. At this point, in single channel operation, the modem is running in survival mode basically, and by now, typically you see severe degradation in the cable data rates. 

This is all very normal, and all a customer has to do usually is have tech support check the signal levels at the modem, which they can do. 

Edit:  When the tech has finished correcting the problems, and you have time, can you post in the final signal level tables?  I'd like to see what the end result will be in this case.  Thanks.....

DrHe
I've Been Around
Mine too
Stops at midnight everyday
Nothing done by Rogers except changing modems
Admitted of pack dropping nothing done

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@DrHe wrote:
Mine too
Stops at midnight everyday
Nothing done by Rogers except changing modems
Admitted of pack dropping nothing done

DrHe, the troubleshooting done for your issue is based on questions asked and answered. It sounds like you issue was troubleshot for intermittency. In that case, after troubleshooting, if no issues were found, the appropriate step is to swap the modem the first time you call.

If you feel your issue is slow speeds, then please connect a computer direct, run speed tests during the day and at the time you are having issues. Then call us when you are having the issue. We may then be able to complete the troubleshooting and possibly submit a slow speed or packet loss ticket on your behalf so that this issue can be resolved. Please note, we do NOT troubleshoot speeds on a wireless connection, only wired as too many factors can affect your wireless speeds. Wireless issues lead us down a totally different troubleshooting path.

Brian

Topic Stats