cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

audit13
I've Been Around

I live in the High Park area of Toronto. Duirng the day, my internet download speeds are awesome. After 6:00 pm, they drop like a rock. It barely reaches Rogers Lite speeds. Anyone else notice this trend? The last time this happened was months ago and that was because Rogers has replacing or repairing their servers?

This is driving me crazy, enough to jump ship to dsl or Bell's Fibe.

***edited labels***

52 REPLIES 52

Re: Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

mmarlatt
I've Been Here Awhile

Honestly, anyone that is having this problem and is not getting the correct information (or no information at all). Follow what ROGERSLOW

katrinachu
I've Been Around

I have been having slow internet speeds for ages....I live in downtown TO.  I was getting anywhere between 0 (YES... actually ZERO) Mbps and 14 Mbps when I should be getting around 32.  It was slower in the evenings, and two calls to Rogers yielded non-helpful tech support.  Tried getting a new modem, which did not work.  

Anyway, we figured out the problem.  It's the **bleep** modem/router that they gave us: SMCDG3N.  We turned off the wireless function on their router and used our old Apple Airport Express, and we're finally getting the 32 Mbps that we were supposed to get!

Katarina
I've Been Around

mine is slow sometimes even after midnight... when you'd think most people have gone to bed Smiley Sad

It seems to stall and then suddenly get going again, like something going through a bottleneck. 

bradley
I've Been Here Awhile

I have been having latency issues also. It just started about a week ago. It is not on my side! Just pinging the first hope router in rogers from different computers plugged directly in the cable modem (no nat router) was producing a constent 1000msec ping return time, too suspensious, usually varies between 10-15 msec. Becaise it is really consistent and hovers around the 1 sec mark I believe rogers is playing with their rate limiting system.

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup same thing here.  My Pings in BF3 have gone from 60 to 100+ (all the time now).   My ping to the SC2 Servers has also jumped from 70 to 200ms (all the time).    Friggin sucks. 

ToneTone
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue here at Lansdowne/Bloor.... Complete B>S!!!!!!!! Im so agro, its scary.

I have called and called numerous times.... it fixes, or seems to fix for a day or two... Then same SH*T again! I'm about one more crappy night from canceling it all and jumping to something else for my internet, I'm sick and tired of this run around....

ToneTone
I've Been Here Awhile

I am sending an email right now to eroseman@thestar.ca

enough is enough.  Someone has to stop te robbery. I'm paying for 25 MBPS and getting less than 1MBPS most days. Unacceptable.

jblackrupert
I've Been Here Awhile

In the meantime,  stop giving rogers money and have the cable internet switched over to Teksavvy.

It's the same line but your money goes to Teksavvy and Rogers only gets leasing fees.

Teksavvy deals with Rogers instead of you, so you don't need to deal with Rogers.

Shaw, Telus and Bell users can all do the same. 

you don't need to buy a new modem or anything, you just set a cancellation date for Rogers and a activation date for Teksavvy

in the same date and you won't have any downtime.

Stop giving Robbers money.

@jblack

While everyone is free to switch companies, that is their choice... doing so may not solve the problem.
In many areas, its not rogers itself that may be causing the slowdown, but the rogers infrastructure in the area.. Switch to techsavy sure.. but if its an ifrastructure problem.. you could experience the same thing with techsavy since its renting the usage right from rogers.

NathanWillow
I've Been Around

It goes the other way for me, at night my internet speed is great but during daytime, like 10am up until 3pm, i have connection problem.

ashgill123
I've Been Around

same in brampton i hate this.

Matter
I Plan to Stick Around

Count me in the club.

From 10am-3am I get speeds ranging from 1mbps to 4mbps. When I wake up in the morning I get my full 28mbps speeds. Contacted a live chat tech and they mentioned signal to my modem is showing as low. It's funny how I have to stream music on my phone's 3G connection because my home internet is too slow.

Mississauga/Erindale here

TryonThis
I've Been Here Awhile

Same problem began in my part of London, ON about 1+ month back.  Consistently crappy download speeds from late afternoon through to end of night.  I posted this in the forums:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/6081

before looking around here further, only to realize that this appears to be a systemic problem in many metropolitan locations, and from the time range on the posts, it looks like Rogers isn't doing much to improve the situation.  Not good.

Our family depends on our ability to use the internet effectively during the evening hours.  Guess I'm going to have to start shopping plans from other providers who can actually deliver a consistent service level?

A shame, since I've had very good Internet service from Rogers for many years up until this problem began, and we've got a whole lot of services with them -- if I move one, I'll move them all to bundle on cost!  I wonder how much business Rogers needs to lose before the lost revenue actually gets their attention?  If the diversity of geopgraphic locations discussed in this forum thread is any indication, they have a very, very widespread infrastructure problem on their hands.

obone2
I've Been Around

similar problems in Woodstock...most days I cannot connect to the web...I can no longer use internet on the deck. Its time to switch providers !!!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you say on the deck... where is your wireless router, in comparison to WHERE the deck is?
(and which router are you using).

I am using a 3rd party router, and in a good location, and still only get a lackluster signal on my deck.. further away from the router, the weaker signal, and possibly issue you can encounter.

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine is slow at all times of day. Right now it's so bad even loading these simple pages was a nightmare. I have switched modems once already. It seemed to be ok for a week or so but now the extreme lag (0.4 mbps download) is back. I get very temporary relief when I unplug my modem. This is ridiculous I pay $96 a month for fibre 30 (how it is fibre is beyond me when it's coax from the street to the modem, it's like a firehose being switched to a garden hose which negates the firehose's capacity) plus unlimited bandwidth for up and downloading. Seems like I am wasting my money. I have noticed a corelation when I download large chunks at a time and the subsequent lag. I pay for unlimited so it shouldn't restrict my activity no matter how much I use but it seems to. I get the same old response that they don't cap or restrict bandwidth but it is mighty peculiar that it seems to be more prevelant when I download a lot of stuff at one time. I am at the point where I am seriously thinking of switching my Rogers ISP to another company and having them go whistle for my outstanding bill. They aren't selling me the product they promised so I have a good case for their lack of providing the service I am paying for. And proof via saved speed test results for this almost daily occurance coupled with my restricting only my system at those times so it isn't my roommates causing the lag as they aren't online at the time. Regardless of which I and them never reach the speed cap limit that is imposed and there should be ample bandwidth to spare during these times.

Can you log into the modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those tables contain the RG-6 cable (signal levels and signal to noise ratios) that connects to your modem.  They should show if you have any issues with the cable feed at this time.

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes I can. I don't have any issues with logging into the router. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to temporarily set the access restriction to only my computer during the speed tests. I also sometimes use a bandwidth monitor and connections monitor to filter out the possibility of hackers during the times my network is open.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is this in an apartment building? or a house?

if its Time of day, often comes down to congestion possibly in the area... or durring a time of load, the signal is droping.

----

You are right with the term.. its one reason that rogers uses 'hybrid' fibre, that its only fibre to the node then coax to the house.

Bell Fibe is much the same (though they dont really say what it is.. many believe it is fibre to the house).  Its fiber to the CO, then phone line the last portion

machv5
I Plan to Stick Around

It's a house with 3 other appartments in it. All have their own cable and internet connections separate to mine

Can you post the downstream and upstream tables so that I can have a look at them. 

Can you expand on your explanation of running an open network.  Is that to mean open wifi networks, no encryption?

Would you happen to know if every apartment is running Rogers services?  If so, that could mean a single coax line into the home, split at the entrance with a 4 way splitter and then split again in every apartment.  Each split drops the signal levels, which is one reason that I am interested in seeing those tables.  Ideally, every apartment would have its own feed from the tap, so that the signal levels don't drop too much due to splitting.