cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

audit13
I've Been Around

I live in the High Park area of Toronto. Duirng the day, my internet download speeds are awesome. After 6:00 pm, they drop like a rock. It barely reaches Rogers Lite speeds. Anyone else notice this trend? The last time this happened was months ago and that was because Rogers has replacing or repairing their servers?

This is driving me crazy, enough to jump ship to dsl or Bell's Fibe.

***edited labels***

52 REPLIES 52

Re: Why is my internet so slow at night? I'm near High Park in Toronto

a_customer
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same situation here in Ottawa. Great speeds during the day but almost halted in the evenings. It is not possible to do anything but the most basic web surfing. How long has it been going on for you?

I have tried 2 different SMC modems now. I have tried connecting directly to the modem with no router using different computers (Mac and Windows). The router part of the SMC is turned off. It is frustrating but I now have a technician coming out soon to check it out.

It is only a recent problem (maybe a month?).

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Sounds like everyone is going home and turning on netflix... 😉

But in all seriousness it's most likely congestion when everyone gets home from work and goes online.

Charlie_Foxtrot
I'm Here A Lot

I have the opposite issue where my speeds and connection is intermittent during the early morning hours but is super fast by dinner time

Kaopod
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having latency issue off and on sometimes it's every night of the week. Being a gamer when I call Rogers Tech all they ever want to tell me was it's a problem at my end which is total BS. During the day usually the internet speed is fine but in the evening or like right now at 11:15PM it's horrible I can't do anything but browse websites. I always do Pingtest whenever I realize this is happening because when it's really bad, my game latency would show that it's happening again. Tonight my Ping test result were D's and F's which means it's the worse I've seen in a while. What is going on with Roger's line?? I'm in Toronto near downtown, A few of my friends in Toronto complain about the same lag issue. For the amount of money we're paying for our top speed service...please...put it to improve your service.

Just wondering if you had any resolve to this issue. I'm in the Kitchener area, and have the same problem. I had it last year, for  a few months, and they were unable to fix it. Even after I had several techs in my house, and at the road.  Then a few weeks later, the problem just went away. Now it's back. Don't listen to what people tell you about Netflix, and everyone jumping on the internet at the exact same time every night! Its BS! Imagine how many people would have to jump on to slow the speeds that much. My ping times go from 12-20ms in the day, to as much as 4500 at night! The techs over the phone also test the neighbours systems, and they always check out fine. i imagine it's gonna be like last time, where they say, they don't see a problem, I must be making it up. Change your modem, change your router, jump up and down on your left foot. The truth is, they have no idea why this happens, or how to fix it as far as I can tell. Just keep paying!

paully
I've Been Here Awhile

I think it's not a problem from servers as @audit13 said. Probably the problem is from the CMTS devices.

kbhn
I'm Here A Lot

IT IS BEACUSE ROGERS IS A MONEY GRABBER PIECE OF **bleep**!.

I HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT LOW SPEEDS AND THEY JUST DONT CARE.

THEY ALWAYS SAY THE SAME **bleep**.

EricL
I Plan to Stick Around
Yea, i am in the same boat, i have rogers Ultimate, an only thing is i am ultimately **bleep** off, like this is 100 bucks a month i got home today at 3:30 d/l a few thiings at 3.2/meg sec.. went watched them, ate supper come back at 9:30 an bam i can't download anything faster then 200/k a sec this is retarded... I pay for the high speed an the 175 gig to d/l... why the hell did i pay for that when that speed is express lite if that ....
a very upset
EricL

you
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like it's this issue all over again:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/151

I am noticing this again, too. I'm at the end of my rope with Rogers. They never really admitted to a problem last time, and I have no faith anyone will again.

Breadwinka
I Plan to Stick Around
Im having this problem right now in kitchener. I have good speeds during the day and at 930 bam i barly can download faster then 80kb/s when i pay 100 bucks for the ultimate package.

QGaoCom
I've Been Here Awhile

I got same problem for days, only 0.8Mbps DL, I called tech support they let me to change modem but it's ok when it's no evening. Anyway I will change a new modem first. Anyone has suggestions?

Thanks!

Fractal
I'm Here A Lot
I hate you rogers, fix my internet you greedy bastards.

Extreme plus 600 KBPS to 1 MBPS every night since mid September

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Ext plus Waterloo .6 to 1 mbps every night 5pm - 3pm Overselling in Kitchener Waterloo. 
Rogers Extreme Plus, Waterloo, ON - Have had predictably slow Download speeds every night 600 KBPS to 1 MBPS, since 09/18/11. 7 quickly invalidated service tickets, 7 hours on phone, 2 trips to store to swap out two modems at tech supports request. 12 days of re proving my case to every level of tech support. 

Upload always at 1 mbps every time. Line quality perfect, no noise, every test. Never any latency until 6th hop out of any trace route. 

10/03/11 *an employee* of Rogers high speed C.A.T. department informs me "your issue is related to a known Rogers network issue, affecting others in your area,is not your equipment. No ETA for solution, No ETA means no ETA!" 

10/06/11 *an employee* Rogers Office of the President, "No details on issue, no ETA for a solution. It isn't that bad, it's only affecting 6 out of every 1000 subscribers" 

Thanksgiving holiday weekend, speeds improve to advertised 32 mbps daytime, and 15 mbps Friday and Saturday night. Sunday night down to 8 mbps after 5 pm. 

10/10/11 Still no ETA or explanation of "known Rogers Network issue". 

One could safely assume most college students (many in my area) and other Thanksgiving travelers are back home and online again. 

Back down to my 3 plus week average speed of 1 mbps and falling, after 5 pm. 

Tek Savvy has been told by Rogers it cannot add any more cable internet subscribers due to congestion in Kitchener - Waterloo, and elsewhere. 

Spoke with a senior Rogers tech on the street today.  He said it sounds like too many people on my node, and it's a congestion issue that wont improve until rogers bisects where the coax meets the fiber optic line. 

I URGE EVERYONE TO KEEP CALLING, KEEP ASKING TO SPEAK TO *an employee* IN CAT TEAM, or *an employee*, ROGERS OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT, BOTH ARE WELL VERSED IN THIS KNOWN ROGERS ISSUE. \

A brief email to Elen Roseman of the Toronto Star at least got me a response from *an employee* in the Rogers Office of the President.  I urge you to email a brief description of your experience, it may make this newsworthy prompting a quicker solution from Rogers.   Her email:

Elen Roseman eroseman@thestar.ca 

*edited to remove employee name - RogersGina

lucretrius3
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same problem here at Eglinton and Oakwood (Dupont headend); it's been a problem for a very long time.  Called Rogers several times but this doesn't help.  Looks like Rogers is waiting for the exodus of customers connected to the Dupont headend to spike significantly before they bother to do anything.

IH8
I've Been Here Awhile

glears
I Plan to Stick Around

Leave Rogers if your can.  Bell's got a good price on their Fibe 25(25 Mbps Down, 7 Mbps Up, 125Gb Cap, Modem, 12Month price, No Contrac) all for 33.48 a month.  Oh ya, dry loop included(dsl line without phone service).  Try telling me that 3Mbps is acceptable for a service that says UP TO 12 Mbps.  So I pay full price and get 1/4 of the service and I'm suppose to accept this.  I'm gone and urge the reset to go as well.

jxjan
I Plan to Stick Around

I use bell for internet, rogers for cell and tv. Bell is amazing for all purposes. Any games that I play (Bf3, MW2, cod:bo, Wow or Lotro) I experience no lag, no disconnections. I pay 65/month (including $5 data insurance, which is basically 40 extra gigs) for 100gb of data (including modem rental fee and taxes)

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Extreme Plus Waterloo, ON  still getting 1 mbps at night, as everynight since or before 9/18/11 when I started calling. 

10/3/11 Rep in Rogers high speed C.A.T. department tells me my issue is a know Rogers issue affecting others in my area. 

10/16/11 E.  in Rogers Office of the President gives me first ETA for solution within a week.  Informs me problem, "is a congested node, that is what they will work on".  

10/26/11  Still waiting for an upgrade to the node I'm on, as are many others in densely populated areas where Rogers sold more bandwidth than they had to give. 

They have money to keep putting glossy fliers in my mail box, at my front door, on TV, but can't upgrade congested nodes in 5 weeks.   Thanks Rogers.  Glad I'm a dollar sign to you.  

Ellen Roseman of Toronto Star wrote an article on this speed issue.  She can also get Rogers Office of the President to contact you if you're getting the usual Rogers run around, through her media contacts.  Was the only way I got them to respond to me.  

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1073972--roseman-rogers-has-high-speed-internet-issues

eroseman@thestar.ca 

Many others are logging their progress and lack there of here at veteran site:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26301206-Extreme-Rogers-Extreme-10Mbps-has-been-VERY-slow-the-last-...

Please be sure you keep an open service ticket on file until your speeds are correct, or at least reasonable, (not the 2 - 5 % many get at night)  Rogers C.A.T department is well aware of the issue and communicating with those involved.  

mmarlatt
I've Been Here Awhile

Same situation here (I'm at Dufferin and Eglinton) I first noticed the problem a couple weeks ago when trying to play games over xbox live. Checked out the internet speed test periodically and sure enough from 7:00pm to 11:00pm the speed doesn't go past 2mbps. The upload is always 0.99mbps.

Called a couple of times and will continue to call, this is inexcusable for a service that's "extreme speed"

ah1523
I've Been Here Awhile

This has been a consistent problem for over a week now. Between the hours of 7PM and 11PM connection goes completely haywire. The interesting thing is that it's happening in little staccato bursts, like every tenth packet pings north of 150 while all the others are fine. Running a traceroute to a site like google shows that most packets make it fine but then occasionally on one hop or another it'll jump to 200ms response times with no consistency at all. I'd love to hear an explanation for this, considering it's not happening outside of peak hours, consistency is an important part of service delivery.

Topic Stats