Why is my internet giving me such poor service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Why is my internet giving me such poor service?

Over the last couple of days, my internet has been really bad. It's normally not bad, I get decent enough service that I don't have problems with it. But yeah, the last couple of days, ridiculously bad. Enough so that if it was Rogers' problem, I'd switch providers. Here's aspeed test result to show what I'm getting:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1911765353.png

I've seen some service people out in my area recently, there were a couple of guys across the street the other day. Even still, this type of service isn't to be tolerated. I can barely use it as it is, and if there were technicians out across the street last week (I believe it was Saturday), then the internet should have been fixed right now. This isn't the kind of thing you get around to sooner or later, it's the type of thing that you instantly fix.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Should I be calling Rogers and telling them there's a problem they need to fix? It shouldn't be anything internal, I definitely know what I'm doing on my end.

PS. If it were the case that I should be calling Rogers because it's their problem, perhaps a congested node or something, I'd actually likely just switch service providers. I have had it with Rogers and their service and their outrageous pricing.

***edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Why is my internet giving me such poor service?

Same problem here.  About a week now.   I've opened up several tickets with Rogers.  Finally tonight they admitted that there was a problem on their side and that they were working on it.  No more details or ETA available.  Right now (10:30pm) I am getting 1.7meg service on the 50meg connection.  A week ago it was a full 50 meg. 

This needs to get resolved NOW.

I Plan to Stick Around

They just told me that my street was down and that I had no service. Odd how this happened multiple times over the last week or so, and then at times, it's been working. Even though I should have no connection, I've managed to load random pages. I've seen repairman on the street this week too, but I should have been smart about it, since I've been told before (by some agent I didn't really trust or agree with) that the internet node on the other side of the street is different, such that my internet service from Rogers is completely unrelated to that across the street. 

EDIT: The worst part is that right now, I'm not supposed to be getting no service, but I'm still managing to load some pages if I hit refresh a ton of times. It just seems stupid to me. I knew I was getting it to load a few pages here and there, despite no service. I actually asked the rep if it really was an outage because of this. Too many bad customer service experiences (not just with Rogers), makes me grumpy when I have to deal with them. Funny how the Rogers page loads the best, having never failed to load. This edit paragraph was done on the supposedly "offline" network.

The representative told me there's no ETA on the fix, even though it seems that a customer having no service from no fault of their own is something you should be fixing immediately.

Anyhow, I've had it with Rogers. They charge me a fortune and give me this. I'm looking at alternative companies for internet service now. I can't stand getting this inconsistent service that always goes down. Depending on how things go, I may not actually be with Rogers for my internet by the time it gets fixed.

PS. The original message was written off my data plan tether.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For the refreshing page thing.. IF it was a page you visited before.. you might sometimes get it to come up as it will pull cached stuff from your temp internet files.

I completely understand if you choose to switch, it is your choice on that.

Just be aware when switching.

Going to bell, will obviously change how your internet connects (twisted pair vs coax)... which in itself could have the same downages as well 😛

But if you go with a 3rd party.. ask what technology they use.. as they will use DSL or Cable of some form... yes, their own modems, etc.. but they rent the usage through rogers or bell lines... IF there is a hardware or node outage in your area for cable.. wouldnt matter if you are on rogers or a 3rd party cable provider, both would be effected.

I Plan to Stick Around

@darksteel88 wrote:

They just told me that my street was down and that I had no service. Odd how this happened multiple times over the last week or so, and then at times, it's been working. Even though I should have no connection, I've managed to load random pages. I've seen repairman on the street this week too, but I should have been smart about it, since I've been told before (by some agent I didn't really trust or agree with) that the internet node on the other side of the street is different, such that my internet service from Rogers is completely unrelated to that across the street. 

EDIT: The worst part is that right now, I'm not supposed to be getting no service, but I'm still managing to load some pages if I hit refresh a ton of times. It just seems stupid to me. I knew I was getting it to load a few pages here and there, despite no service. I actually asked the rep if it really was an outage because of this. Too many bad customer service experiences (not just with Rogers), makes me grumpy when I have to deal with them. Funny how the Rogers page loads the best, having never failed to load. This edit paragraph was done on the supposedly "offline" network.

The representative told me there's no ETA on the fix, even though it seems that a customer having no service from no fault of their own is something you should be fixing immediately.

Anyhow, I've had it with Rogers. They charge me a fortune and give me this. I'm looking at alternative companies for internet service now. I can't stand getting this inconsistent service that always goes down. Depending on how things go, I may not actually be with Rogers for my internet by the time it gets fixed.

PS. The original message was written off my data plan tether.

At least they told you there is a problem and you know people are working on it.  Last fall, I suffered 2 months of severe congestion and, when called, Rogers would not admit to anything saying it must be my equipment or internal cabling.  When they finally finished whatever work they were doing in my area, the congestion disappeared.  I never received any notification, an apology, or an offer to credit my account.  This has got to be the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am fully aware of caching, I'm a cs major. I was googling pages and the odd one would go through, or the odd Speedtest would go through. I wasn't getting enough of a connection to do anything on it, but I was getting enough to do something. I even went on to Skype and was chatting with a friend, THAT, I am positive shouldn't have worked. I only got a couple of messages out, half of them just never went, but still.

I also realize that most 3rd party companies buy internet from Bell or Rogers. What I'm also betting on is that they don't tell me it's an outage when it isn't. This isn't the first time I've been burned by Rogers, they simply don't care about one or two customers. Last time I actually had an outage, I was sick at home (let's just say I didn't want to get out of bed at all costs), and they were telling me to go to my neighbour's in the middle of the day. That guy heard a few things he probably didn't want to.

That's the problem with most company customer service. They simply don't give a **bleep** about you, or they're incompetent. Believe me, you wouldn't believe how many times I spoke to HP to get a refund on a defective laptop, it was awful. I'm sure Rogers isn't that bad, but even still, I can tell they're not particularly great.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@darksteel88 wrote:

I am fully aware of caching, I'm a cs major. I was googling pages and the odd one would go through, or the odd Speedtest would go through. I wasn't getting enough of a connection to do anything on it, but I was getting enough to do something. I even went on to Skype and was chatting with a friend, THAT, I am positive shouldn't have worked. I only got a couple of messages out, half of them just never went, but still.

I also realize that most 3rd party companies buy internet from Bell or Rogers. What I'm also betting on is that they don't tell me it's an outage when it isn't. This isn't the first time I've been burned by Rogers, they simply don't care about one or two customers. Last time I actually had an outage, I was sick at home (let's just say I didn't want to get out of bed at all costs), and they were telling me to go to my neighbour's in the middle of the day. That guy heard a few things he probably didn't want to.

That's the problem with most company customer service. They simply don't give a **bleep** about you, or they're incompetent. Believe me, you wouldn't believe how many times I spoke to HP to get a refund on a defective laptop, it was awful. I'm sure Rogers isn't that bad, but even still, I can tell they're not particularly great.

Not knowing you personaly, dont know your background and all the details.. was just giving a possibility.  Good that you know its not just that. 🙂

I do agree.. that as a generality.. with many companies.. support can be up and down.. and not even always from the fact of that they dont WANT to support... its that the people doing the support are ill fitted for the job.. or do not have the correct tools or information to DO that job.

What is hard to guage a good company vs a bad.. can all be in who you get ahold of.  Comparatively.. i would recomend HP over many other laptop companies to people.. as i have ALWAYS had good support with HP when i have called 😛

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I often make a note to others when I post for these types of things, it makes a considerable difference. It lets them know I understand basics and am at least competent with what they're going to ask me to do.

Yeah, most companies just hire random people to do the support. They also just ask them to read a book and then pass a test. When they're actually giving you support, they're just reading out of the book and if that fails, they escalate it or say something like "let's reformat!". It really annoys me that they don't know anything, and when you finally get them to try to do something outside of the book, they tell you something really stupid. I had an issue with my brightness keys malfunctioning (I still don't know if it was a hardware or software issue), and when I finally got them to recommend something outside of the book, they told me to change the User Account Control, which obviously wasn't going to do anything.

Of all the companies I've had to deal with for support, HP is by FAR the worst. As much as I don't like a lot of companies, I'd never buy an HP product again. My laptop was pretty much malfunctioning, the brightness keys wouldn't work and I was getting an average temp of 70C, going up to about 90C, and battery life maximum of one hour on a new battery. So I go to chat support, they can't really help me a few times, I got a second battery, nothing. I ended up getting it escalated to a case manager. As soon as I tell him "your support people really suck", he replies "yeah, I know, they just read a book and pass a test. They don't actually need to know anything". After I send it back, it comes back not having been fixed whatsoever. Same problems, and they tell me I've got to send it out again. Well, I'm using it daily for computer science at school, so I sent it back a little bit later. They still didn't fix it and I end up getting a refund. Meanwhile, they've been trying to tell me 90C isn't that bad, even when I'm not running any programs, or that one hour battery life is okay (I'd never gotten more than one hour). It was ridiculous. And one time when I called to ask something about my refund, they told me they didn't have a refund policy. After they looked it up that I had been approved for a full refund, they felt rather stupid.

My favourite moment though, would have to be the time I complained about graphics drivers. I was already waiting approval for a refund I knew they'd give me, so I was more or less just trolling at that point. I had been getting numerous driver errors with my graphics driver, it just kept crashing, and I'd updated the bios, updated the drivers, so I really had no idea. Just as a side note, I was running a quad i7. Anyhow, the technician says I should right click my desktop and switch to integrated graphics. I raise my eyebrow and go "what are you talking about...". After he goes and explains it a bit more, I proceed to say a few choice words as I explain that quad i7's don't have the integrated graphics chipset in them and that I can't do that. I ended up getting his manager, who said "let's reformat!".

I've Been Here Awhile

@lucretrius3 wrote:

At least they told you there is a problem and you know people are working on it.  Last fall, I suffered 2 months of severe congestion and, when called, Rogers would not admit to anything saying it must be my equipment or internal cabling.  When they finally finished whatever work they were doing in my area, the congestion disappeared.  I never received any notification, an apology, or an offer to credit my account.  This has got to be the absolute worst customer service I have ever experienced.

They will never offer you a credit but if you call and tell them how often you experienced poor service, they will issue a credit.  At least that was my experience when I had this problem before.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@darksteel88 wrote:

Yeah, I often make a note to others when I post for these types of things, it makes a considerable difference. It lets them know I understand basics and am at least competent with what they're going to ask me to do.

<snipped>

I proceed to say a few choice words as I explain that quad i7's don't have the integrated graphics chipset in them and that I can't do that. I ended up getting his manager, who said "let's reformat!".

I hate to nitpick -- what you say may be true of 'desktop' i7's, though I'm not certain, however, there are indeed 'mobile' quad i7's with integrated graphics (I have such a laptop).