Why do i not get the internet im paying for?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why do i not get the internet im paying for?

No unfortunately I don't.  I don't know if there is any other way to see the DOCSIS WAN data other than thru the gateway mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

Partial answer to this quandry:  how to log in to the modem when it is in bridge mode:

1. get another computer (laptop, etc.)

2. Plug an ethernet cable into the modem and into said computer.

3. configure computer with a static IP of 192.168.100.253, netmask 255.255.255.0, GW 192.168.100.1

4. Using a browser other than IE (because IE seems to gak on it), HTTPS to 192.168.100.1

5. login with cusadmin and your password.

6.  While you are there, you can look at the 7.x.x.x address in the modem (odds are it's not the one you see in a traceroute)... you can use *THAT* address to log in to the modem from other computers.

Having done that, and looking at the status...

20 channels of 256QAM with signal strength around 4.5 dBmV (yeah, they had to put on an attenuator because it's like 13 dBmV without it), and s/n ratios of around 38.8 to 39.1

Upstream side, 3 channels of ATDMA, 40ish SS.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3668100030

No, nothing attached to the router is 100 Mb or ancient 10 Mb.  All gigabit, all the time.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, for now I'll have to run with "must be an internal problem" because realistically, I can't see anything wrong with the Rogers stuff.

Time to break out the diagnostics.

I hate it when things go weird all by themselves.  it would be easy if I had been messing with the network over the weekend.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am sure you never changed anything.. but there is nothing set up on the fortigate for restricting the throughput?

We use a fortigate 150d at work for our firewall, and i know you can limit the ports throughput to just about any value.

Likely though sounds more back end related.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

There is another way to access the router config page while in Bridge mode that should work with most routers.  You have to enter some commands to create a routing path to 192.168.100.1.  Depending on your router you may be able to do this via the web UI or you may need to do it via a telnet or SSH session.  I am not an expert on this but I was able to adapt some commands that I found elsewhere.

The commands needed are:

ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

That should work although it is possible that your router does not use the name "wan_ifname" it may use something slightly different.  You may be able to figure that out by typing echo `nvram get wan_ifname`  And note that these are backwards apostrophes from beside the 1 key on your keyboard 

Depending on your router you may need to reenter these commands if you reboot your router.

With these I am able to readily access my CGN3's web ui from my LAN.

FYI - my router is an Asus RT-N66U.

For more info on this see http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration

I've Been Around

My internet connection is crap.  I pay for high speed but it's been dipping so low that my phone has a faster connection.  I've gotten as high as 63mbps to a low of 1.06mbps which is rediculous! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, sooooo.....thats an interesting opening.  If you're looking to vent, mission accomplished.  If you're looking for help, there are forum members here who can help.  But, they, and I would need some basic info, such as type of modem / router, and what your network looks like, both wired and wireless.  There are a good many people here who have been able to improve on their internet performance by asking a few relevant questions, receiving feedback based on those questions and reading through some of the posts that already exist in the forum.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A provider can have problems... or however their stuff connects to you having the issue, which can cause issues.

What steps have you tried to troubleshoot it?

Sometimes its something as simple as a fried splitter that needs replaced, and everything is good again.

With all your wiring, etc properly and good signals, you should be able to get consistant full speed connection.

EDIT:
Seeing the 63 high .. wondering what plan, the 150?
63 seems to be a number i remember seeing, from people who connected a 10/100 device, to the CGN3