Why do I need a new SIM card to reopen my account?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Why do I need a new SIM card to reopen my account?

Hello,

I cancelled my monthly plan last week as I expect my usage to go down significantly from this point on.

I called in today to get my phone transfered to Pre-Paid plans (1 week after my account cancellation) and I am told that I need a new SIM card to activate.

My question is: Why?

Is my card broken? 
Is my card expired?

I ask the agent and telling me that it's "Rogers' policy" isn't good enough; unless someone can give me a good reason (aside from the obvious money grab that this policy is) I'm not going to remain a Rogers' customer.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why do I need a new SIM card to reopen my account?

Pretty much all the companies are this way. I know bell does the exact same, as we go through it all the time even with business accounts.

I think once an account is canceled removed from a card, those cards are deemed dead. Been this way as long as I can remember (and I have used cells since the analog only days).

Could call in and try to escalate it to see if you can get a free one.

Updated Solution

The sim card is attached to your post paid account which is now cancelled. Since you are moving to a prepaid account, the same sim card would not be eligible as it was already linked to a different account. You will need to purchase a sim card that will be eligible with your  new prepaid account. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty is right. SIM cards are a one time use thing. Once they are listed as inactive in the Rogers system, they're no good to anyone. I would assume it is a counter measure to prevent fraud. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Cridle.

In some cases it does work tho. I was able to reactivate my old sim card from last year & my nano sim card from last year as well. Worked just fine. Seems to me only in some cases this works tho.

Most of the times it wont work.