Why did Rogers switch the Deutsche Welle programming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carl_n
I've Been Here Awhile

Why did Rogers switch the Deutsche Welle programming?

I have been a suscriber to Deutsche Welle (Ch. 195 in Mississauga, ON) for years now. The programming offered was always the so-called 'DW (Amerika)' with 20 hours of German and 4 hours of English.

Now, without consultation or notice, Rogers has switsched my Deutsche Welle channel to 'DW', which offers 24 hour of English-only programming.  

I want my German language programming back or I will cancel.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
skyelle
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Why did Rogers switch the Deutsche Welle programming?

I just called Rogers & asked for DW Amerika - Channel 172. I told them I wanted 172 specifically, not 195 (the English DW channel). He added it to our programming  for $2.79 a month and we got it while I was on the phone with him. 

I got a very good and persistent representative. It took him a while to locate it since it wasn't even listed as available. We were getting it as a free preview channel for several weeks but then it disappeared. Now you can get it added alone, without a package. Yeay!

***Update***

Hello everyone,

Rogers understands the value that these channels have and are constantly reviewing the packaging and programming we offer our customers. As mentioned by several members, Rogers currently carries both channels, Channel 172 -DW Amerika, with Programming in the German language and Channel 195- DW, with English language programs.

To address the original question, Rogers launched DW with the English feed as an English news channel and packaged the service as an English standalone and as part of the English News Theme Pack. In 2012 DW changed their programming to German language. This upset customers who enjoyed the service as part of their English package. With the launch of DW (English) Rogers made the decision to change the feed to English to align with original packaging at time of launch.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

All Replies
torsand
I've Been Around

I also have been receiving Deutsche Welle (Amerika) in German for the last two years and was very upset that it was suddenly replaced with the English-only programming . This is a channel which I enjoy immensely and one of the few channels I watch on a daily basis. I hope that a sufficient number of people will complain and that Rogers will consider returning to the German version. I also am considering cancelling my subsription. I would like to know to whom our complaints should be directed.

ssgg
I've Been Around

This just happened to me the other day.  I "upgraded" my T.V. bundle, and when I did, my DW went from German to English.  I called to ask what the deal was and got nowhere.  (Had it for years, ch 195, NB)

I just found this on DW website:  

DW (English):

ROGERS CABLESYSTEMS
SOURCE CABLE LTD., Hamilton

Please ask your local provider about DW programming.

For further information you may contact our Canadian representative:
dw-canada@terraterra.ca oder info@terraterra.ca
Tel: 514 844 3566, 1-866-355-3566

Please note that Rogers Cable’s news package consists exclusively of programs in an English language version. Deutsche Welle is offered in this news package. Therefore, our German channel “DW (Amerika)” was recently replaced by our 24/7 English channel “DW” in Rogers Cable's channel lineup. We will however discuss with Rogers possibilities to also offer our German channel, independently of the English news package. Please also check the list above for further subscription options for our German channel.  

**Edit:** Just got off the phone with Rogers.  They changed to English due to "demand from viewers".  I cancelled the channel.  There are no plans to offer the German version on the horizon.  What's the point of have an English version of a German channel?  

DeWess
I'm Here A Lot

My mother just changed a few things with her Rogers cable package and decided to add DW. But if it's English only she's going to cancel it again. I see that Bell still has DW (Amerika) programming -- the only thing with Bell is that it comes in a package with ProSieben and Radio Herz which costs $18/month. She still has her phone with Bell so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch everything over, although she's been a Rogers customer for 30+ years.

I have my Home Phone, TV and Internet with Bell and it's great. With all three services the Connection Hub is free, the PVR is free, I get Ontario-wide calling for free, and I benefit from the bundle discount. I have no vested interest in promoting Bell over Rogers, and I'm the last one who wants to promote any of these scoundrel communications companies, but from my experience the Fibe service (i.e. no satellite dish) from Bell is pretty good.

DeWess
I'm Here A Lot

OK, I think I understand now. DW is part of the news theme pack and I assume most of the people that subscribe to that pack don't want 20 hours of German programming. So Rogers switched its feed from "DW (Amerika)" to just plain "DW" for those people -- that's where the demand was. But it affected all the people who subscribe to DW. So unless Rogers brings back "DW (Amerika)" as a single channel, Bell will be your only option, although it will cost you significantly more.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

So, they changed to English due to "demand from viewers"? Well, I want all those French channels in English!

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
xplor
I've Been Around

I am also very dissapointed with the decision by Rogers to remove the only German language News channel they have. I have taken my concerns all the way to the Presidents office but at first the blame was putt on DW and terraterra the Dw representative in Canada. I have also contacted Dw and terraterra but with no result so far.Rogers should give their customers a choice of what DW program they prefer. I wonder what would happen if they would remove any of their Italian,Spanish etc News channel from their channel line up?? For now the one options thats out there would be Bell. I hope Rogers reconsiders and gives their customer a choice.
nagelschmitz
I've Been Around

Ich bin auch sehr enttauscht. I am also very disappointed. It is frustrating to watch German programming in English with heavy German accent. And we are missing out on all the high quality shows from ARD and ZDF that are part of DW (Amerika).Yes, we can subscribe to the German language station ProsiebenSat1. However, its programming is all fluff. They have "Docutainment" and "Infotainment".
I join in the chorus of hoping that Rogers will reinstate the option of DW (Amerika). Otherwise I will move my cable to Bell.
hansrollmann
I've Been Here Awhile

I, too, bought the specialty channel for its German programming, not an English version.
hansrollmann
I've Been Here Awhile

I guess I will cancel my specialty channel subscription if I cannot get Deutche Welle (Amerika). Meanwhile I use my Dw and Tagesschau apps.