Why can't I connect to internet address xxx

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Why can't I connect to internet address xxx

Fo several months I have no longer been able to connect to any internet url that resolves to 74.124.211.212.

These include phoenixpick.com and galaxyzedge.com.  The site is a science fiction book publisher and definitely NOT x rated or otherwise bad.  I can get there from Bell no problem and site checkers assure me that the site is up and running fine.

Ping resolves the address OK but somewhere connections is blocked.  This seems to be a Rogers-only problem.  I have 5 computers in the house, using different operating systems and the result is the same for all.

Anyone experiencing anything like this?

r.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why can't I connect to internet address xxx

My FIRST thought, is DNS servers, not having an updated record for it.

Did some testing, with mixed results.

First time i did it on my phone, on LTE (so not touching any internal DNS). and it failed to go anywhere.

(and i am assuming the 2nd one is galaxysedge.com not with a z?)

I defaultly, use the GOOGLE DNS. 

Both URLs to resloved in a browser, and NS lookup did show the correct IP.

I did then switch to AUTO dns from the rogers gateway, as well as manually putting in the rogers DNS into this pc specifically.
Both sites did load..
NSlookup did resolve to the right IP.. but was much slower to respond.

So at least for me, through a rogers connection, it DID resolve correctly.

Then did try to load it via LTE again.. and it did resolve both.

Was this just recently changed?  I am wondering if it was just slow in updating the DNS records?

I Plan to Stick Around

Definately a Rogers DNS server problem. They are hijacking the DNS, even if you change DNS servers on the router all requests still go through a Rogers hijack server on the way to your DNS server.

The only way around this is to use the Rogers device as a pass through modem only. (at least for now)

If you force your way up the food chain of customer support at Rogers they will put in an incident report that will get read by techs who can do something about it - you have to whine that it is your business sufferring and tell them it works fine on Bell and you are thinking of switching.

If it worked before and doesn't now it is Rogers messing with the DNS tables to hijack. It may or may not eventually resolve on it own. It will if they simply eraced a record, it won't if their hijack script is corrupting the Table for these entries.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Please stop spreading false information.

Is/was it potentially a problem with the Rogers DNS at the time? Possibly. If the server just changed addresses, the Rogers DNs may not have that change yet.

As my tests above show, it was accessible via the Rogers DNs servers.

All data, passes through Rogers no matter what DNs you use, and any form of injection, throttling, packet detection/re routing can be done regardless of the DNs used.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://hackercodex.com/guide/how-to-stop-isp-dns-server-hijacking/

This is a good site as to what ISP DNs hijacking is and how/what happens.

Rogers stopped a number of years ago, and no longer give the hijacked response to bad pages, they resolve to the proper page error or browser default message.
Also, on a non existent page, there is a no record found lookup response, no false entry, etc.

All in all it's not to say, that there isn't problems with the Rogers DNs. Is often slow or sometimes non responsive.
Is there a chance of 'hijacked' wrong entries in there? Or course, same can be with any DNs service, they could change any entry or remove as they wish.

Any US DNs service (like unblockus), essentially is a ON PURPOSE DNs hijack. Using a service like this, when you say try to resolve the ip for Netflix, it gives you a completely different one that google, etc. it's an intermediate server. Really acting as a proxy or router itself. It takes your requests and sends them to Netflix then routes the response back to you. It appears your from the US, as it's that server making the request to Netflix, and not you.