Why Has My Bandwidth Usage Gone Up?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Why Has My Bandwidth Usage Gone Up?

I have the same problem this month! We have a120 gb plan and never went over 80 gb, now it's up to 144gb and we don't use more or less than usual! I check my usage everyday and it's crazy, like 5 to 10 gb a day , and we use so little I don't understand. I called them three times but they just can't help me figure out the problem. I'm very upset with that too ! Can someone help..

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Unlimited Internet?????

We can try.. but its easier said than done.

That usage hasnt changed... doesnt mean something hasnt.

We would need to know your usage habbits (netflix, what type of browsing, games, torrenting, etc)

Beyond that.. there could be other things potentialy.  Would need to know WHAT devices connect to the internet (wired and wireless).
There have been cases (ran into myself actually even this week), where things like updates, download, etc, can get STUCK and be continualy looping in the background, and eating up usage without you knowing (I had one of my server boxes doing this, so much to the extent that it was killing my connection altogether.. unpluged the box, it stoped)

Also have to make sure, that your wireless security, etc is set up  properly, not been broken into, etc.

All in all, best thing you can do?  Unplug it all.  Start from nothing.. wireless off.. make sure there is no wierd #s with NOTHING running.. and slowly add stuff back on, and one by one, make sure that you are not seeing huge spikes. (really have to do this over the period of a few days)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks GD I'll try that.
We have one desktop commuter, one iPad, one iPod and my son play online games. We don't watch netflix as this take lot of usage, I just browse websites, my son watch YouTube videos a lot but he always has and we used around the same data every month until this past month where usage go way too high. Wifi is secure and I unplugged the modem for 24 hr to see if it was at fault but it's fine. This has never happened before and we never went data over usage.
I called Rogers for the 10$ unlimited, she told me I need a new digital adapter for my cable .. Does that make sense?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What modem do you currently have?
While unlimited usage, really has NOTHING to do with the modem.. all current plans, incuding the unlimited, require one of the newer gateways modems to be used.

So yes, you would need to change over to one of these, to get the unlimited. 
(i have the unlimited.. it IS nice, to not worry about the usage.... so it is something to consider)

Its POSSIBLE that one of the games had some extra content that downloaded alot...
Its possible, that some of the youtube videos, hes watching more HD stuff now, could be using up the usage.
Suprisingly.. youtube, can use while not QUITE as much.. close to the same as netflix sometimes!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Why Has My Bandwidth Usage Gone Up?

It's called I post it on there... Since I help on here a lot... Many people have thought I am an employee, and have messages me with their personal account information, which I really don't want ! Not should I have as not an employee.
Just a warning to keep this from happening.

And to keep on topic... It's my job to monitor usage at my work, so i am quite aware of what uses what and how much... Can easily tell when a user is streaming stuff they maybe should be when the usage for their port on the switch skyrockets 😛

I'm an Enthusiast

@Mayatony wrote:
Thanks GD I'll try that.
We have one desktop commuter, one iPad, one iPod and my son play online games. We don't watch netflix as this take lot of usage, I just browse websites, my son watch YouTube videos a lot but he always has and we used around the same data every month until this past month where usage go way too high. Wifi is secure and I unplugged the modem for 24 hr to see if it was at fault but it's fine. This has never happened before and we never went data over usage.
I called Rogers for the 10$ unlimited, she told me I need a new digital adapter for my cable .. Does that make sense?

We're in the same boat. I called Rogers and the only solution they had was upgrading my plan. What happens if two months later we spike again and go over? Nothing has changed at our end. We went from 33G in one billing period to 65 the next. During that time two of us were away for a week, one was working and one was in school, and we still somehow doubled our usage.Smiley Very Happy

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation