Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

@vickip wrote:

Will I lose my recordings?

Yes, there is no way to keep your recordings if you exchange.

vickip
I'm Here A Lot

@57 we actually have the 4642 - what does that mean? we have 2 of those plus the WHPVR set up in the living room.

vickip
I'm Here A Lot

Even on the WHPVR? isnt that where the shared hard drive is?
vickip
I'm Here A Lot

I have the 4642 (x2) and a WHPVR - will those work? or is that causing my slow down?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Let's get a few things straight.

1. A 4642 is a set top box, does not have a hard drive and cannot record.  The set top box communicates with the PVR to record.

2. Somewhere in your home is a PVR that does the recording - either an 8642 or a 9865. I suspect it's an 8642 if you have a very slow system

3. The collection of boxes is called a WHPVR (Whole Home Personal Video Recorder).

vickip
I'm Here A Lot

i have a 9865HD which is actually not as slow as the set top box. It's the set top box that is killing me with how slow it is
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about that.  Rogers introduced some new firmware last year called Navigatr.  It's an abomination for recording and requires more power than the (older) 4642 and 8642 boxes can provide.

Rogers is expected to (soon?) bring out IPTV (Internet Protocol TV)  which is similar to Bell Fibe.  Rogers have not been spending much energy on their legacy equipment.

vickip
I'm Here A Lot

Any idea how the IPTV  will integrate/improve what I have now? I am a new customer - just wondering if i will be able to upgrade and what they will entail?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, no one really knows 😞
And really wont, till its released the public.

While some of the older boxes TECHNICALLY are IP capable.. I doubt that they would, do them not having beefy enough hardware.

I am HOPING that the NB3 boxes, and the newer 4k are capable of it, and able to be switched over.

Non PVR boxes, etc.. i hope we will see a newer model out.

Beyond that... my only other thing, is it may open up for easier watching from other devices possibly?
Right now, only limited live tv via the RoD app, etc.  With IPTV it will much easier.
(much as you see now available with Bells IPTV offerings)

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@vickip wrote:

Iw ill have to verify, but my understanding is that we do have the WHPVR and 2 x 8642 - I will double check and exchange them at Rogers.  Will I lose my recordings?

Yes.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario