Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wprager
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Whole home pvr, disappointing 'upgrade'

Thanks.  I thought it might be that.  I also thought it could be that there's different firmware for WHPVR versus the oridinary, run-of-the-mill NextBox.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm that is true, there is a sight version difference with the whpvr, as they have to enable that. Makes the little house icon appear on the front display.
I have the whpvr, and mine is fine.

wastemetime
I've Been Around

I upgrade over Christmas 2012 and what a disappointment, I missed 80% of the junior games as they failed to record. This still happens periodically after either conflicts are "resolved" or you record back to back long shows ( adding 3 hours to a hockey game incase of OT will do it almost every time! )

I lost the ability to do slow motion/frame movement.

I lost the abiity to do fast jump forward - many do not know you can do this on the old version of software by pressing the page + or -

I lost the ability to manage the show while a menu is up

I lost the abiltiy to easily flip between a live show and recorded show ( recordings played on channel 950 so returnIng to channel 950 put you back to your recorded show and you were done. Now, you seem to have to go back to the listings and resume which is painful.

I lost the ability to go to the end of a show

I lost the abiltiy to granularly select a start stop time for a recording -  sometimes you want to start a show part way into it as it conflicts with other shows. The ability exist now in set increments allowing to extend a recording only by fixed increments.

The conflict resolution is just flakey. Very often, it cancels the selected show PLUS the original show in conflict. The listing of scheduled recordings will show everything is set to record, but nope, it may not record the shows!!

SLOW, the menu is SO slow!

Changing channels, often the first number doesn't happen. So you press 514 and you get 14. Almost like it is asleep and wakes up on the first key pressed.

What is better,

On demand - how considerate that the ROGERS revenue focused button works so much better.

The search finally has purpose

The HOME pvr is a good idea.

The ability to record from your phone is good B UT like this update,  it is totally flakey and unreliable.

The ability to place priority on series so that conflicts are resolved based on your selection ( TIVO did this 5 years ago! )

Along with teh update with recording series, the abilit to cancel just the current recording is great - why did this take all these years to get working!!!!!

And old grumblings

- for anyone who buffers a recording ( especially sporting events )  and fast forwards during the broadcast - what idiot decided to put the LIVE button right over the fast forward button!!! Half way through a buffered sporting event, you can so easily get to the LIVE broadcast in error and catch the score!  Just poorly executed!! Give us the option to disable it or add a warning if pressed to verify you are about to go to the current live recording.

- I had a TIVO for a PVR before HD forced Rogers PVR on me - a device designed with the consumer experience in mind. That was over 4 years ago and that device 4 years ago blows this trash away. This pathetic Rogers PVR is a device developed as a glorified VCR with a disk and it appears any development is ONLY about Rogers. How else could you get an upgrade that is not really an upgrade but a trading of features. Gain some, lose some. Most updates are additional, you have your features and ADD to them not trade them off.

Fast forward -  it is obvious that by the time you press stop, you are too far ahead. This is not a physical tape, it is a recoring on a disk. A TIVO PVR would expect you to overshoot as you cant possible hit stop at the exact moment you see the spot you want to resume playing at and it would figure out this lag and back up just enough to almost always put you to where you wanted to be! A simple but extremely good feature. It also let you fast forward 30 seconds or set increments to jump forward. But perhaps talking about 2005 technology is too advanced for this VCR.

But my biggest disapointment is seeing this thread is almost a year old and very little if anything appears to have been resolved 😞

NigelP
I've Been Around

I "upgraded" to Netbox 8642 to take advantage of the larger hard drive. This was a big mistake. 

Compared to my ancient Scientific Atlantic (8300?), the user interface is primitive at EVERY level. It has the look of a rush outsourcing job that met minimum specs. The designers never bothered to try other PVRs (like my old Scientific Atlanta) so the specs were clearly done to the level of an early prototype and there was probably no user testing/feedback to improve the interface.

I really miss my very slow motion (frame by frame) which I have lost. Also annoying is that every time I touch the stop, rewind or play buttons, the bottom third of the screen is covered with a black background that stays on the screen for about 8 seconds (unless I hit the Exit button on the remote which is not easy to find). This makes watching the reply of the goal even more frustrating to manage... so really poor for sports.

The text displays to the screen tend to be tiny (except for the massive channel display). Displays on the PVR are smaller as well so the user experience is poor for both the software and hardware.

PVR itself  looks bland. Components must be really cheap based on the slow response. It takes so long for the displays to change that I start to wonder if my remote control command was caught by the box. Ironically, if I press a channel number a tad too long, instead of being on channel 6, I end up on channel 666!

I suspect that because the hardware is so slow, they put a buffer on the pvr so that it can accept a sequence of remote control commands so you can hit several keys on the pvr, go for a coffee, and come back beying where you want to be (assuming you do your sequence perfectly).

I could go on and write pages of criticism but you get the idea. If you have used a good pvr in the past, you will want to avoid this one.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Many others have voiced the same complaints about the current boxes.

Now.. its not COMPLETELY a hardware issue.  ALMOST all of those, are a side effect of the new HD IPG (interative program guide).

That box, originaly had the same guide, as the 8300, and pretty much didnt exibit any of the issues till the new guide.  Overall, its just poor programming. 😞

At least currently, you CAN put in a request, to have them push the old guide back out to that box.  It will be the same guide as on the 8300.

Only thing you will loose, is any of the features set up for the new guide only.. the CallerID display, whole home PVR functionality, etc)

clegedza
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm reading these posts with interest. We too "upgraded" to whole home PVR before Christmas and I find the new user interface where you access your recordings an scheduled recordings to be just awful. The old one was simple and straightforward - hate hte new one.

On top of that we're trying to set up a new PVR for our new downstairs TV and cant that box set up - getting the endless spinning circle. Then we thought our 3 year old flat screen inthe bedroom had gone but I''ve concluded its that box. I can get the on screen guide to display but cant get any program to show - just a black screen. So I pulled the plug in orderto reboot and now have the endless spinning lights onthat one - been almost 2 hours now.  Called tech suport and got no support other than to say a tech has to come out. Ugh! 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Having a tech come out, is actualy probably the best thing to have done.

Did you ever have a box there before at that spot?  and if you did what model?
The newer boxes are more sensitive to signal issues.. and its quite possible that the signal to that location in the house, just isnt quite strong enough.  If it cant communicate properly on startup, the spinning lights thing can happen.

Tech should be able to look at the setup, and check signal strengths.  May have to replace a splitter, etc, possibly add a power booster if necessary, etc.

clegedza
I've Been Here Awhile

We actually had Rogers come out a few times in the last month or so due to frequent problems with the pictures on both TV's "pixelating" and freezing. At that time the one agent who checked it fromtheir end said the sgnal was low. Tech who came to the house said issue was outside on the street .  Thought problems were over.

Update - I did get that bedroom box to reboot - got the time to show but very sporadic service. When I display the guide its says "no information" on every channel but when I scroll through I am getting some channels - CNN and W are 2 I'm getting - very weird. When I go to anotehr channel and press enter I get an endless "loading" message.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Definately does sound like an signal issue.. that its not strong enough to get the data for the guide, etc.

Best to have the tech out again.. seems like the first ones really didnt do their job fully.

They should:

A) check the signal from the street.. IF this is weak, they should try a temp line to the house, see if that improves it.. could just be the line into the house, with age, degrading.

(if its the street issue, they need to escalate it)

B)If the signal is good, or close to good enough into the house, they should be checking the signal from where it comes in, and splits, and to each box location then.  Could be a bad wire from the wall, but could be bad wires INSIDE the wall too.  (unfortunately rogers cant replace the wires in the walls).

C) they then should if necessary, change/re-arange splitters as needed, possibly install a signal booster, might give it just enough strength to be ok.

This box is now an EXTRA box ontop of what was in the house already? Could be that its maybe too much draw now on the line altogether, causing the issues, etc.

clegedza
I've Been Here Awhile

What I was describing is an existing box of 2 current boxes. We're trying also to add a 3rd. The house and the whole subdivision is not old - maybe 4 years for the phase 1 houses but there have been multiple repairs already in the area. Rogers was out for 3 days in a row in February doing a major repair that affected the street.