cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

Lamzyc
I Plan to Stick Around

Got the Whole Home PVR installed on Sat Sep 7, and I'm having some trouble. Older recordings are streaming fine, but I cannot stream most of the recordings made in the last 48 hours from other boxes in my house. Here's my setup:

* LIVING ROOM is a Nextbox 3.0 PVR (9865PVR)
* BEDROOM 1 is a Nextbox 3.0 PVR (9865PVR)
* BEDROOM 2 is a Nextbox HD terminal (4642HD)

All boxes are running 4.0.0.123 firmware.

There are a handful of recordings (all made since Sat Sep 😎 on each PVR that refuse to stream to any other box.

If you try to access one of these recordings on the 4642HD, it says something like "Sorry, AMERICAN BEAUTY on BEDROOM 1 cannot be viewed right now. The program may have been deleted, or there may not be enough resources available."

If you try to access one of these recordings on the other 9865PVR, it just says "Playback is starting... please wait" and never starts.

Here's a sample of the recordings on LIVING ROOM 1 - there doesn't seem to be any pattern to which recordings refuse to stream.

• WORKING: The Outer Limits - 321 ACTN - Mon 9/9 7am
  • WORKING: Talking Bad - 32 AMCHD - Sun 9/8 11:05pm
  • NOT WORKING: CBC News: Toronto - 6 HDCBC - Sun 9/8 11:00pm
  • NOT WORKING: The National - 6 HDCBC - Sun 9/8 10:00pm
  • WORKING: Breaking Bad - 32 AMCHD - Sun 9/8 9:00pm
  • NOT WORKING: Boardwalk Empire - 551 HBOHD - Sun 9/8 9:00pm
  • NOT WORKING: Strip the City - 534 DWHD - Sun 9/8 8:00pm
  • NOT WORKING: 60 Minutes - 16 HDCBS - Sun 9/8 7:00pm
  • WORKING: Dragon Wars - 562 HDMTM - Sun 9/8 1:00pm
  • WORKING: Jeopardy - 523 HDCBS - Sat 9/7 7:30pm

And here's a sample of the recordings on BEDROOM 1:

• WORKING: The Newsroom - 551 HBOHD - Sun 9/8 10pm
  • NOT WORKING: Saturday Night Live - 17 HDNBC - Sat 9/7 11:29pm
  • NOT WORKING: News Final - 3 HDGLB - Sat 9/7 11:00pm
  • NOT WORKING: American Beauty - 553 MNEHD - Sat 9/7 4:00pm
  • WORKING: Jeopardy! - 526 HDCBS - Fri 9/6 7:30pm

On both boxes, everything recorded on Fri Sep 6 and before seems to stream just fine. And you can always watch the program on the box it was recorded on.

Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas? I figure this is a software issue and calling the 800 number will just be an exercise in frustration.

***Edited labels***

129 REPLIES 129

Re: Whole Home PVR - Not enough resources / Please wait, playback starting

lannoc24
I Plan to Stick Around
I had new hardware installed a couple weeks ago and I have to say that so far it sucks. They have been here twice since to diagnose a signal issue, and I am unable to play back anything on my Netbox terminal.

Reading some posts on some other sites.. some people have heard that there is a bug right now with some recordings.. which is causing the not enough resources issue.

Apparently working on a software update to fix.. not sure when/how long.

dagger26
I've Been Here Awhile
Has anyone found a ressolution to this issue? I have tried swapping boxes and rebooting boxes and still get the error on some of my recordings.

annan21
I've Been Here Awhile

For me it appears to have been fixed with the new 5.0 firmware on my nextbox 3. You still can't play the old recordings, but new ones play without a hiccup.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

At this point we can getthis box to work if we reboot the box 2 or 3 times a day. Sometimes it takes 2reboots before it will work. Then we can watch 1 or 2 programs before the process has to be repeated. Rogers only solution is try another box and they act like we are the only ones having an issue. VERY frustrating.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

have you had a tech out yet?

Communication/signal between the boxes.. is really critical.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

No. I wasn't asked if I wanted that. Sounded like replacing the box was the only option. I kept hoping that there would be a  bug fix that would correct the problem. Box is alreadyat bios level 5.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are SOME people who still have problems like that ocassionaly.. but not all the time.

I havent seen them, but only use it 1-2 times a week.. could be the programs i click, are running fine but others could have had an issue.

I would call back, and press for a tech out.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

I called tech support and they immediately said that this was a known problem. She had me Factory reset the two remote boxes and just reboot the main PVR.  When the main PVR came back up I had no picture ( could see channel info but no picture).

Called AGAIN. Got another tech who said to pull the plug and do a hard reboot. He also said signal seemed "weak" . Booked a tech to come out and look at the signal.

System came back up with picture after a hard reboot and playback worked fine all that evening. Next moring I tested and box and it would not rewind or play back. 

NOT HAPPY. Will see what tech says.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

Had a Tech out who says the signal is fine. Rogers now says that this is a known bug that they are working on. They have NO fix and  NO ETA for a fix. They opened a ticket and said that they would let me know if the problem is ever resolved .

Until then it is reboot  repeat reboot repeat. And they send me surveys asking is I'm happy with their service. 

May just trash the Whole Home nonsense and go back to just a PVR.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Been reading some on a few other forums...

SOME people have been majorly experiencing this with the whole home... others not..

Seems to have mostly started happening after the LAST firmware update...
(which fixed like... 5+ other issues... but obviously BROKE something else)

I only use the whole home features about once a week, and have not had an issue myself..

BUT it may only present itself under heavy usage..usage while recording, etc.. some other combination of events.

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

We are heavy users which may be a problem, but the majority of issues we are having are simple playback issues on the main PVR not using the othe Whole Home features.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, but i wonder if the heavy whole home.. is say corrupting stuff on the main PVR unit, etc. 😞

Just trying to find a possible corilation... so that info can be passed on (as say they are trying to REPLICATE it to fix... wouldnt appear under LIGHT testing, right?)

SDRF
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think they are having trouble replicating the problem. They seemed to be VERY aware of it. They are just having trouble FIXING it. The said the have Scientific Atlantic ( Cisco ) working on it.

bauline_line
I've Been Here Awhile

Since Monday one of my nextbox 3.0 boxes will randomly not let me watch any recorrdings, it will show a error saying the show has either been deleted or out of resouces. A rebbot usually fixes it or sometimes 2 reboots. Also there is a show on there that I can not delete, it will not play and when i try delete it crashes the box. I have called tech support 3 times and last night they told me that it's a known issue and that there is no fix for it Anyone else have this issue? I am pretty sure it's firmware and not sure why they just can't load the old version back. I have a lot of recordings and don't want to swap the box.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

They're not rolling people back to old versions.  The more versions of software out there, the bigger the support headache.

Less s/w versions is easier support.  The problem doesn't occur on every box, so it sounds like a box swap is in order. 

PVRs are not long term storage devices....they're basically glorified time shifters.....watch and delete.

Spoiler

bauline_line
I've Been Here Awhile

Tech support told me that they would swap my box because it would just happen again. Also i have this on rent to own and the 18 months i already have paid would reset and they told me they couldn't do anything about it. They just need to fix the issue

It MIGHT happen again.  But might not at all

I know personally, myself included, 5 people with the NB3, who havent had that issue.  They are all on the latest firmware.

How full is the box? less than 80%?

As for the rent to own, etc..
Swaping the box, will NOT reset the rent to own.  Thats the whole point of it.  Its essentially the same as the full out rental, you can swap it as many times as needed in the 3 years, like a full rental.
It WONT reset the counter.

That its a bug, that is not effecting say GOLBALY.. its harder for them to FIX. 
They need to know WHAT causes it... and in the time to fix that for the one group, make sure they dont introduce one bigger that effects ALL

bauline_line
I've Been Here Awhile

I talked to billing and they told me it would reset the counter, it's to stop people grom getting a new box a month before the rent to own is up, Right now it is working and is less than 20% full and hasn't gone over 25%.

That's the first time I have heard of that. If it is policy now it's completely new.

So if the box 100% dies, covered under waranty, and has to be replaced they would restart the timer?
That's not right.

Was it only one person you talked to about it? It's quite possible that were incorrect on the details (that happens more often than it should 😞 )

bauline_line
I've Been Here Awhile

I have called times, it maybe different if the box dies maybe. I will call again tomorrow. I can see their side of though beucase people would be going in just before their 3 years are up and swapping for a new box so that they can then get a warranty.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats