cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whole Home PVR Issue

Seanatis
I Plan to Stick Around

Had my whpvr installed in July and seemed to work fine until a tech came by to investigate an Internis signal issue and said he had to fix some of the cables from the initial install. I didn't think anything of it until recently when trying to use my whpvr. Can someone provide me with the signal flow diagram used to wire everything up? Can't seem to find it anywhere. When I went down to look I had the filter hooked up to my input on the amplifier going to a 2-way splitter which had only one coax on one of the two outputs. You would think whichever TVs I would want on the system, would cube connected to the outputs but not sure if that is the way it should be done.

Could someone provide some clarity on the subject?

Thanks!

Sean

***Edited labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Whole Home PVR Issue

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
The filter cannot be between the digital boxes. So here are the options:

Cable IN -> Filter -> splitter -> digital BOX, amplifier->digital box

or

Cable IN -> filter -> amplifier -> digital boxes

One thing to note is that the amplifier may have the filter built into it. I have heard this can be the case.. If it does then it is filtering out the whpvr and you would need all digital boxes on the same side of the amp...

Seanatis
I Plan to Stick Around

Here's what I have now:

Cable IN -> amplifier -> Output -> filter -> splitter -> digital box

Output -> digital box

Does it matter which box I put on the other side of the filter? PVR or other box?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
try
cable in -> amp -> filter -> splitter -> to both digital boxes.

Seanatis
I Plan to Stick Around

I've tried this in both configurations without any success. I think I'll just give up on the idea of a Whole Home PVR hehe. Rogers says I should have a little "house" icon on both my boxes, which I don't have either. Could the filter be blown?

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Naw the filter has nothing to do with the little houses... What the filter is doing is making sure the boxes don't broadcast outside your home... In theory you could remove the filter all together but then your neighbours would be able to play and delete your recordings... (I've heard people have seen boxes from 25km away) So it's obvious why you and rogers would want it filtered.

As long as there is no filter between the 2 digital boxes they should be able to talk..

The little house means that the home network is setup and the boxes are talking...

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
it could also be a faulty or bad splitter that could be blocking the upstream communication, what brand splitter and do u have a different splitter to try

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The missing houses, it probably the main problem of you not being able to do the whole home thing.  its needed on there, to be able to do the whole home thing.

For whatever reason, sounds like it was removed from yours.. why, who knows.

you will need for them to get it turned back on.  unfortunately, as i have found out, while adding a 2nd hd box at my house.. the regular phone people can not do this.. only the tech guys phone in people.
SOOOo.. means you have to book an apointment, for them to come out, just so they can call in, to have the stuff activated again 😛

Seanatis
I Plan to Stick Around

I called them last night as I thought based on what I read on the Cisco website, that the MoCA link could be disabled at the headend so thought since everything looked fine on my end it could be on Rogers' end. Well, they felt the need to schedule an appointment to send out a tech to "re-establish" the connection.

I remember my days with Bell where I had Internet and TV and never had to call them about anything.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
They are so paranoid about this new technology that they feel the need to baby it along.. I to had an issue when it was first installed and called in to find out how to fix it. They insisted to send a tech, I declined and figured it out myself. But was lucky because the boxes themselves were already activated to work...

GDkitty set his own up and still had to have a tech come out to phone in and have them activate it..

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Correct, I added a 3rd box, it was wired in right, after the filter, etc. cable worked fine, but no house icon. Calling in was informed that needed to have the tech out.
Luckily I got the tech tht set it up for us, so he called in the push out of he activation while driving over. Since I had wired it right, it was pushed out by the time he got here, he checked the connections and was gone in 5 mins

Seanatis
I Plan to Stick Around

Well you would think mine would still be active since it went from working to not. Not sure what could have happened behind the scenes. Must be costly to Rogers to send out a tech for things like that. By talking with them on the phone and online they seem oblivious that something could be wrong on their end and refuse to even acknowledge this activation that is required.

I seriously hope something is wrong on my end or I will lose my mind if all the tech does it chat with someone on the phone.

Thanks everyone for the help 🙂 Let's stop adding to this thread lol.

Sean

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation