cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who would buy a modem from Rogers?

mrbrimi
I Plan to Stick Around

Food for thought. During the course of the day spent 6 hours talking to tech reps and supervisors. During the course of conversations I mentioned 6 other customers in exchanging modems with similar issues to mine. The retort from two different supervisors was that they routinely advise customers to return the modems and that modems were the major source of internet issues.

If so then who would buy one from Rogers?

***edited labels***

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Who would buy a modem from Rogers?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Digital boxes for tv? Yes, those often break down and swapped a lot.
But modems? Generally they are not the problem... But since most problems are never rarely acknowledged as being something on the Rogers end, the techs just go through troubleshooting which swapping is part of.
Only time I have ever swapped was when upgrading to a better one.

All being said, renting does allow for one to swap infinite times if need be, vs buying.

It_works
I'm Here A Lot

When I had intermittent connection, the guy on the other end told me to disconnect the router from power and cable, then he told me that my signal to him was low. Hardly surprising considering that there was no connection.

Then he asked me if I had moved the modem, to which I replied that it had been in the same place since 2008. So he told me that he would get an engineer out which could cost me $50 if found to be my fault.

Yeah right. I told him that I would get the CGN2 replaced at the local office, and he argued the point that it would not fix my issue.

It did, of course, and saved me a possible $50 charge.

Bell is no better. I had those jokers when I lived in Eastern Ontario. Never again..

I have had.. maybe 2-3 techs min a year out.. often just little things. (probably 20 when our street was having an issue :P).

NEVER, in the 15+ years i have had rogers, nor my parrents before me, have EVER had to pay the $50 for the visit.

Pretty much, they give you that warning when you call every time.  The chance of it happening? Little.. as long as what causing the issue is not your fault... that being introduced by something you have introduced.

EG: They put in the splitters and whatever else to get things set up right.  You want to add another TV but there are no splitter posts open? You put your OWN splitter in, and that causes the issue?  Thats your fault.
BUT.. you can call, and say you want to add the extra line.. and they will send the tech out for FREE to add a biger splitter, that they authorize for use.
(often alot of the splitters you buy retail, etc, are not the right type for whats needed)

I understand about the charge and that there would not have been one, BUT I told the guy that nothing had been moved, that the outages were only for seconds at a time, albeit inconvenient times, and that it had only been happening for a few days. The chances of the problem being with cabling was ZERO. It was originating either at Rogers end or the router at my end.

All I asked was if Rogers had any problems at their end. It was NOT a difficult or trick question, just a process of elimination..

Yeah.. usually on their end.. it seems a LACK on information available to them.. when/if something wasnt working 😞

When i had issues a few weeks ago.. found out they were doing maintenance.  They were able to pull that up.. but not at the begining of the call.  Only when they were going to schedule the tech.. did is show THERE.  You would think that should be more info they FIRST see.

does anyone actually buy the modem outright?  the $12 rental fee is rather irritating, since it's not a technical limitation (in terms of the specification itself) that forces the upgrade from docsis2 to 3.

break even point is 18 months, which is much shorter than the length of time i have ever had a modem over the last 15 years

@joncnca wrote:

it's not a technical limitation (in terms of the specification itself) that forces the upgrade from docsis2 to 3.

Yes, it is.

You're looking at the specs and you're forgetting that you are not alone on a node. There are serious technical reasons for the move from 1-channel DOCSIS 2 to 8-channel DOCSIS 3 to 20+ channel DOCSIS 3.
How does Gdkitty explain it? It's like having more lanes on a highway...

ok forget about that statement about 'technical limitation'. i know what i mean, i know what you mean, that wasn't the purpose of my post and i'm not looking to get into a discussion over it.  thanks for your reply though.

my real question is, does anyone buy the advanced WIFI modem outright?  is this worthwhile, pros, cons **from your personal experience**, not hypothetical ones, as i'm well aware of the possibilities.

thanks

@joncnca wrote:

my real question is, does anyone buy the advanced WIFI modem outright?  is this worthwhile, pros, cons **from your personal experience**, not hypothetical ones, as i'm well aware of the possibilities.

thanks

They were on sale at Best Buy last week. A friend of mine picked one up to replace a moody rented CGN2. My CGN3 is rented, though I admit that I have been rethinking that...

The key question is whether something new and better will come out in 14 months. Given Cisco/Arris (two important competitors in this area) didn't have a 24-channel product (or anything with more than 8-channels) on their web site when I looked a few weeks ago, and I think everyone has given up hope of Rogers offering a non-gateway modem, I doubt it... but then again, given how controversial the CGN3 is (and how apparently the bridge mode didn't even work right until a recent firmware upgrade), there's something scary about buying one.

Its one of those tossup questions..

With renting the CGN3, i am now currently paying LESS that i did before, for more speed (albeit not unlimited anymore but a cap, but more than enough of a cap for my usage)

Could i pay LESS montly if i bought it? Yea, sure.

But.. if ANYTHING happens.. from a power strike... to even just the firmware messing the thing up and bricking it..  I know i can just take it in and swap it within a few minutes (store is like 5 mins from my house).

You cant do that, with a purchased.. has a warranty for a period.  

So renting.. is almost like paying an insurance policy on the device... its weither you want to take the risk or not.

As VivienM said though.. i HIGHLY dont suspect much else to come out to compare to it, at least in the short term.
Hitron has the only two RELEASED 24 channel devices so far that i am aware.. a few others are working on it, but not released yet.

Likely anything new, would be modem only.. and with rogers seeming to stick with the Gateways.. wont be an issue then, as you cant apply them.

mephy
I'm Here A Lot

I saw it today at rogers shop at 160 dollars.

On the Roger web site is 250 dollars, how come ?

I'm thinking to buy it instead rent it for 12.50 a month.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure..  i THINK the website might be wrong.

Some people have called in and been told $199 on the phone.. so cheaper than the website.

MIGHT be down to $160 is now, to compete with what futureshop was selling it for recently.

----

At that price.. if you break it down over a year.. vs rental cost.. you are at about 13months.. before you start saving money.

Thats actually a pretty good breakdown.

Is it worth it?
The CGN3, is NEW... its the ONLY 24 channel on the market right now... the CHANCE of rogers switching away from it any time soon, at least in that 13 month period?
I doubt it.

So probably a safe bet to buy.

mephy
I'm Here A Lot

Well if roger will change the modem, this one is still a 24 channel so doesn't matter.

I read that it has issue with wifi, maybe they want get rid of this model.

I do not use wi fi home, I do not need bake myself ........:) now even 5 Ghz.

I give a try this month if I do not have issue I'll buy it.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No they dont want to get rid of it.
(and i think we are talking the same unit.. they only have ONE 24 channel modem)

Yes, the wifi is not great.. compared to a 3rd party ones wifi... but this one is slightly better than the other offerings.

DantheMan007
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there.  Just thought I'd let you know that I bought the Hitron CGN-3 about 4 months ago.  It saves renting for $12 per month plus taxes.  In a year it will pay for itself.  If there's something new buy then I will buy it.  If not then I'm saving money til the next best thing comes along.  I'm not for renting myself.  When I had Bell Satellite I bought all three receivers.  I had that service for 11 years and it worked out pretty even.

Hope this helps.,

Good luck

Dan

From a pure cost perspective, especially when it was on sale for $150.. it DEFINATELY is a good buy.

That its the only 24 channel currently on the market.. (and nothing higher).. there likely isnt going to be anything new really to switch to, or NEED to switch to, in at least 2+ years, in my opinion.

That its break down pay off period, is just at over a year ($150/12) youd already be ahead of the game.

Just make sure especially if you buy ANY of the equipement.. to make sure its on a GOOD surge bar (or even better a UPS), as if it gets fried out of warranty, your stuck.
(Vs with rental you can obviously trade it in)

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I personally stopped buying modems after my docsis 1. Since new technologies have a high rate of churn with newer modems, and speeds doubling every other year. I mean, DOCSIS 3.1 will be right around the corner, and you'll soon need a new modem to get the speeds of the newest Ultimate whatever form that may be.

For me, you are pretty much buying something $200 that will last for a year, where rental is much easier to switch over and on-demand.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I guess it depends on how much you need or want to keep up with the new advances. I'm content with the old modem I have had for 5+ years. It works well and for what I use the internet for it serves the purpose. I wouldn't mind a bit more bandwidth but can manage with what I have. Thus, for me, buying was a good option. It all depends on a persons needs.

Navin79
I've Been Here Awhile

So I was on Rogers website this week due to error on my bill and saw the new plans.  Felt like a kid in a candy shop when I saw the 150Mb plan at the price its at.  With the new plans, you'd be crazy to buy their modem/supposed router.

I know a lot of people use the router function, but I like it when a router says "Linksys" on it, their affiliation with Cisco gives me a certain sense of comfort.  A box that says "Rogers", costs about the same, while having minimal options and limited capability to a high end router,  is crazy.  

Why spend $200 buying a  product that's probably worth half the cost at most, when they're now free with the new plans?

Before they were thrown in, I use to point out that Bell included them in their plans and I'd get it included, afterall, they only started charging after they started offering thesemodems with routers built in, and the router sucks.

**edited for content**

With the units in bridged mode, you can use any 3rd party router you wish, no need to USE the routing features of the newer modem/gateways.

And yes, while they are 'FREE with the new plans' so to speak.. they are only FREE in the sense.. that the TOTAL price, before taxes.... lets say for the 60/10 package, is 69.99.

Your Bill wil have the break down of:

Modem rental: $12.00

60/10 plan: $57.99

SOOO if you OWN the modem, you are removing a $12/ month part of the fee, and would only be paying 57.99
(which really, is only like.. $3-4 MORE than the price of the old 25mb express plan where you still paid modem ontop)

(BTW... cisco no longer owns linksys.. its belin now.. as of 2013 😞  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys)

(cisco no longer

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 11 in conversation