Who"s watching 4K Habs vs Leafs

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Who"s watching 4K Habs vs Leafs

Channel 999.

Anybody have the new 4k box watching this game?

Feedback?

thanks

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Re: Who"s watching 4K Habs vs Leafs

I don't have the box or a TV, and I'm not a hockey fan.

However for anyone reading this I wanted to make clear on how you can watch it. You NEED a 4K TV as well as the new 4K Nextbox in order to access channel 999 and watch the game.

Apparently the advertisements that are running for it are not making that part of it clear. I received quite a few calls while I was at work from people asking why channel 999 didn't show the game, and these people didn't have the equipment. But the advertisements were also not telling them that they needed it.

Just wanted to clear that up. Everyone who can watch the game, hope you enjoy it!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @locksown2341

Thanks for the assist!. The ads do make it a bit clear as it does state u need a 4K TV.

It's common sense though. To get 4K you NEED a 4K box to get that picture. I guess many didn't think of that.

Anyways loving it in 4K!!!!

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Explaining to SOME PEOPLE that you need a 4K TV and 4K box to watch the game in 4K is the same as needing to write in the product warnings for an iron that you should take your shirt OFF before you try to iron it.

But I guess we shouldn't feel so superior.  There are lots of people who don't think about things that we take as second nature - and I guess those of us in this forum might consider offering out expertise to our old uncles who want to watch the game in 4K - but they've got an old CRT that is 19 inches - and they still have a VCR.

Update:  I just watched (again) one of the MANY ads from Rogers bragging about their 4K TV - and the ad DOES NOT make it clear in any way that you need a 4K TV - or a 4K box.  Their website, however, does clearly spell this out in list form at the bottom of the introduction to 4K TV page.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hey @Riggernuts - Unfortunately I get to miss out. What's your feedback? I am budgeting for a 4K TV. If iIm getting a new one... I am going BIG.

Still jealous of @Meowmix lol

@lockdown2341 why are you not a hockey fan?! O__O It's HOCKEY! 🙂 hehe 

Get 4K TV so you can absorb hockey and start loving it. (or get it as an excuse for Hockey)

@billmcintyre - I agree, but I think if anyone excited and dishing out 'dolla dolla billz' on 4K TVs they probably are up with the trend; however 'old uncles' would have a HDTV and not know the difference between 720 1080 or 4K since they are technically ... all called HD (Just difference class), since the standard for these terms are based of... is 480 SD.

and you know what, I think just because I knew what 4K is, I didn't even notice the ads not advising that you require 4K TV or 4K box. I actually just assumed. huh... interesting. Interesting thing you guys noticed that.

(And I laughed about the taking off shirt before Ironing, I've heard that one before lol)

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @ShakTiburon

I too am budgeting for a second 4K TV - and the problem with 'going big' is I'm REALLY noticing a huge price jump as you go up in size.

Prices for 65 inch 4K TV's are SO LOW compared to the larger sizes.   Go to 70" and you add $500 or $1,000 - and go to 75" and you add another $1,000 or $2,000 - and go to 78" and add another $2,000 more - or $3,000 more.

And then add another $1,000 if you want a newer model with HDR.

I figure there will be some deals in the next few months when the new year models start hitting the shelves and the stores start clearing out older models.  Last Christmas (as in 13 months ago) - I thought the best prices by far where on Boxing Day - but I'm really starting to suspect that is not necessarily the case.

I've been spending way, way, WAY too much time oogling the large 4K TV listings on all the major websites - and I got lucky two months ago and found a display model Samsung 75" 4K model 8550 for $3,888.  It is a 2014 model, but it was the second best TV Samsung made that year - so it's pretty decent. 

The only problem with my TV was that I bought it without seeing it first - because it was the last TV of that model that 2001 Audio Video had in stock - and because I didn't take delivery of it for weeks after I paid for it, and then didn't hook it up for weeks after that - when I noticed after I started using it that it had a HOLE in the middle of the screen - I was sick to my stomach.  Stupid me - I didn't yell and scream at that point to the guy I bought the TV from - and I naively let him stall me when I told him about the issue and agreed that because it was the day before Christmas and 2001 AV was 'busy' with pre-Boxing day rush sales - I thought I could trust the store to do the right thing after their Christmas rush was over.

But - low and behold - when I called him in early January - the salesman said: "Oh - since it's been more than 30 days since you bought the TV - you'll have to deal with Samsung to get it fixed" !!!

Thankfully, Samsung product support was wonderful.  I had a TV with a bunch of bright white hot pixels right in the MIDDLE of my screen - and any time there was anything on the screen other than white - the picture was just sickening to watch.

Samsung replaced the entire panel - and it took the repair guy 2 1/2 hours to do - and I understand such a repair costs about equal to the actual purchase price of a BRAND NEW TV.

But - as I was saying - before I went off on a tangent - I want to get a second 4K TV - because about 96% of the time, I watch TV at the same time I'm surfing the interweb system of tubes 🙂 - and since I got my TV and dropped a HDMI 2.0 video card into my computer, I've grown spoiled enough at surfing the web in 3,840 x 2,160 at 60p - that I need to replace my other (1080p) TV with one that is 4K.  (I have them both sitting side by side.)

So I've been considering the (questionable) Vizio 4K 80" M series TV - and I was also looking at something called a 'commercial lite' TV - which has absolutely NO Smart TV features - and I think it even doesn't even come with a remote control !!!!   So that probably rules out that TV - but if I find out from LG that I CAN buy a remote control for that TV - then it MIGHT serve me as a 78" 4K computer monitor - for about $4,500.  (That type of TV is designed to be put up in hotels and such.  I'm not sure I can live with what it lacks in features.  But maybe the big screen is enough as a computer monitor - and to get such a size in a Smart TV will be $3,000 more.)

But enough of my rambling.  If I spent as much time on my business as I do in looking at TV listings on the internet - I could probably afford one of the very best BIG TV's by now.

So - in summary, SharTib - if you ARE able to - just move a few feet closer to your TV - and for about 1/2 or 1/3 the price, get one that is 10 to 15 inches smaller.  (Sadly - I watch TV (about 14 hours a day) from my bed - and I CAN'T move closer than the 10 feet to my TV(s).)

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @ShakTiburon

Haha don't be jealous!!. Honestly working at Best Buy I can tell you prices won't go down. They will go up for the new models for the HDR models and the new Samsung ones.

LG won't bring their new OLED models to us until sometime last next year as we just got the 4K OLED here about 3 months ago and it's $4,450. The prices seem more then u can think. I paid $2,000 for my 55JU6500 and around $$2,750 for my 65JS9000 ( which i get a special price and installment plan with my work). I requested for the 4K OLED as that was the TV I wanted but until a couple months pass, we pay the same as regular customer do.
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Meowmix ... Oh I KNOW ABOUT YOUR SPECIAL AS AN EMPLOYEE. Even MORE JEALOUS lolz

But Yeah I might have to sit on this for a while. Hopefully when I can afford it ... goal is in 2 years. Since there is no rush.

@billmcintyre, I feel ya.

I actually have my TV (The one I am using right now) front of my bed. I can't move closer lol It's attached to my Rogers Box, Gaming Consoles (2 of them) and my PC.

but I feel embarassed to say, It's 47". Like. I realize it's bigger than a Monitor but 47! You guys are talking about 55 60 65 70 78 and 80 here! I am so not going to sit here and feel content, I want BIGGER! haha.

Although, it's an LG 3D TV. Horrible "Smart TV" features but 3D is good. I am actually in the niche of 3D and love it, since I own 3D Cameras.

Off topic question, Does any of the new 4K TV have 3D feed supported? If so, Pssive or Active glasses? (Passive are cheaper to maintain and replace)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Watched Saturday Night in 4K....was pretty impressed by the picture quality, but i have had the Rogers Box since early January, and have had my LG 4K since last march, so i know what i expect to see when i see 4K, other then 4K content that i have stored on a Local Hard Drive, it is the best quality 4K i have seen on my set, the 3 Raptors games and the Leafs game was the best live 4K for sure i have ever seen. Netflix running natively on the LG is a level down in picture quality, and the local 4K content i have is a level up from what Rogers is sending to the box, that makes perfect sense to me. On the topic of the knowledge people have about 4K, that is another story itself, yes i surround my self in tech all the time, and from all of my experiences thru close friends and reading forums, i would say 80 - 90 % of people are truly uniformed when it comes to 4K and all the info about it....i swear to god, with all the knowledge at peoples fingertips these days, the world just gets more dumb and misunderstand, people are too self opinionated these days...but that argument is for another forum..i love the fact that Rogers is leading the 4K in North America, bell is right behind them, so just wait for the US Carriers to jump on board and 4K content will be everywhere within 2 years....enjoy people....

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@kevinlayne2001

May I suggest the Lounge for a Topic? Open up a topic and we can discuss that. 🙂 That's what the community is about!

I can't be too harsh about other people, every one has their own pace in learning. Some don't want to learn because it isn't there interest to, they just want it to 'work'.

Never the less, I personally have to say Audio/Video isn't my field of expertise, however I am not a newbie at it either.

Especially with old school A/V (analogue). Digital gets me confused sometimes, but that's because I haven't taken time to learn it like I did with all other wirings. I'll get there, I'll get there.

But yea, you are right, the expectation should meet, given it's from a box (a feed) vs locally.