Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

So it seems I have to get this new modem because I'm going over my 60 gig limit. But with all this talk about the wifi being crappy, how do I set it up to just use as a modem and not a wifi router, since the one I have, works perfectly?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two choices.

Set the gateway in bridged mode. This effectively turns it into a modem only, and everything else is setup as normal. This should be able to be changes in the modems setups, or you can call Rogers to switch it over.

Alternatively, you can the router just as an access point. Change its ip, and turn off dhcp. No changes made on the gateway other than wireless off.

I've Been Around

HI GDKitty,

Which one is the best choice for the setup? and what is the advantage for the choice? Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For most people, bridged mode is the best choice. All features are handled by the router, from dhcp to port forwarding, etc.

For a few like myself, where network layout is not quite normal, for some wired connections I get better performance (less hubs, etc) doing it as an access point.

I've Been Around

The Grandfather clause really irks me. When I signed up with rogers it was for the then Extreme package (yes a long time ago) and I purchased my Motorola 5100 Modem. I had no caps and I had a lot of services that are now no longer available (remember full membershipflicker ,newsnet service free ptotection) Now I have a very regressive 60GB cap because of the docis 2 modem even though I hit sustsined downloads with push technology of 2MB sec.

Point being if they really want to grandfather me give me what I signed up for 12 years ago.

Not Happy and rogers really doesn't care.

My services will be cancelled as soon as I find a reliable alternative. The only time I called to complain was last August when My son had inadvertantly left his reloaded tablet to sync with his online storage (he was visiting) I asked do you really want to lose a 20 year customer over 5GB of data. The response. Your modem can't handle that amount of data.

. . I  do this for a living managing a large network. Its not that my modem can't handle the data it is pure and simple that they want even more money from me to upgrade to a docis 3 modem and the junk they supply is not worth buying OR renting

Gerry

I Plan to Stick Around

@gmaapollard wrote:

The response. Your modem can't handle that amount of data.

. . I  do this for a living managing a large network. Its not that my modem can't handle the data it is pure and simple that they want even more money from me to upgrade to a docis 3 modem and the junk they supply is not worth buying OR renting

Gerry

You are 100% correct. The D2 modem has no problem handling well in excess of the 60 GB usage allowance and Rogers has no reservations about charging you an arm and a leg for exceeding that 60GB. Not only that but the SB5100 is also perfectly capable of handling the 25 down and 2 up speeds that you would get if you upgraded your modem. It may not be able to handle the speeds for the higher tiers, but for express Internet, it is perfectly capable. You are also 100% correct that the junk they try to pawn off on customers is exactly that - JUNK!

I Plan to Stick Around

I just replaced my old rental modem with a purchased Hitron CGN3 from Future shop on sale. Immediately turned off it's Wifi capability (Bridge mode) as every forum said the Wifi range and stability was garbage. Apparently Rogers does not sell just a DOCSIS3 modem so you have to buy the new gateway and put it into Bridge Mode (disable Wifi bands 2.4GHz, then disable Wifi 5GHz, disable gateway functionality, uPnP) Here's some help. How to Use Your Own Router with Rogers DOCSIS 3.0 Upgrade: http://jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/how-to-use-your-own-router-with-rogers-docsis-3-0-upgrade... FYI, Rogers won't let you activate a new one while you still have the old one. I wanted to keep it until I was sure the new one worked but no go.