Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

The new modem is called Rogers Enhanced Home Networking Gateway.  It is a modem + wireless router.   If you have the older modem and are subscribing to Rogers Express, then you are likely paying $4/mth for the modem rental and you are limited to 60GB/mth download.

If you upgrade to the Network Gateway modem, then Rogers tells me that you will get faster speeds + they will give you 80GB of downloads (or 33% more per month).    For that, you must pay $7/mth for the upgraded modem ($3 more per month... seems like a good deal to me).

Tips:

- If you ask, Rogers will give you the first 6 mths of rental for free with no commitment after that.

- Alternatively, you can buy the router from Rogers for $149.95.   They will put it on your bill.   That's the option I chose because the modem will be paid off in 21 months.

- Either way, you need to return your existing modem to a Rogers store and exchange it for the upgraded one.

- You can also buy the modem from Best Buy or FutureShop for $149.99.  It's not worth it unless it goes on sale. 

- Reviews indicate that the wireless router performance is pretty crappy.   I don't think it's dual band.   If you have problems with the wireless router, you can apparently put it in bridge mode and use it as a modem and then plug your own router into it.   I plan to do that with my router since I have a Netgear R6300 that should have significantly better performance.   

I'm a Senior Advisor

There are two major issues here. First, is the refusal by Rogers to provide the higher speeds and usage allowances to customers who still have a D2 modem. The D2 modems are capable of receiving 18 Mbps for Express Internet and the type of modem you have has absolutely nothing to do at all with how much your usage is. Rogers will not hesitate to charge you if you exceed your 60 GB per month. And of course they still charge you the regular monthly fee!

Secondly, why should the customer have to pay $3 more per month for the so-called "enhanced gateway" when they need to put it into bridge mode and use their own router?

And if you want to bring up a third issue, why is Rogers providing a gateway modem that provides inferior wifi access when there are excellent stand alone D3 modems that could be authorized?

I've Been Around

wondering if there is a ground for Class Action about unjustified limitation for D2 users
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doubtful. It's their service, they can technically say the only way period to get any service is use modem X. It's their choice.

Of course, it's our choice to switch services, etc at that point, etc.

I've Been Around

i have the same issue. since i got the new cisco modem, the wifi sucks totally
I'm a Senior Advisor

@111222222222222 wrote:
wondering if there is a ground for Class Action about unjustified limitation for D2 users

If so, there should also be grounds for a class action suit for the D3 users - against Rogers for providing such garbage equipment! Smiley Wink

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Rolandmarlien wrote:

It is the reason I stick with my SB5100 modem. We do not download a lot, so the current speeds are OK with us, though I would not mind the higher speeds. We never exceed our 60 GB, so that is also not an issue. So why would I switch to one of their cra*ppy D3 modems when I can stick with the SB5100 modem and use my Linksys E2500 router and never suffer dropped connections or poor wireless range. The total ignorance of Rogers in not supplying a decent D3 modem it utterly beyond my comprehension!

I Plan to Stick Around

I got the same bad WiFi with the Hitron.  I could hardly get devicese to connect in the same room.   I ended up calling Rogers to set the modem into bridge mode and plugged my Netgear  router into port 1.   

I'm a Senior Advisor

@JetCanada wrote:

I got the same bad WiFi with the Hitron.  I could hardly get devicese to connect in the same room.   I ended up calling Rogers to set the modem into bridge mode and plugged my Netgear  router into port 1.   

Every D3 modem offered by Rogers is the same - terrible WiFi. You would think that by now Rogers would get it, but instead they go merrily on their way offering the same lousy service with the same lousy equipment and not giving a da*mn about their customers! It is just plain sad! Smiley Mad

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@IHR wrote:

@Rolandmarlien wrote:

It is the reason I stick with my SB5100 modem. We do not download a lot, so the current speeds are OK with us, though I would not mind the higher speeds. We never exceed our 60 GB, so that is also not an issue. So why would I switch to one of their cra*ppy D3 modems when I can stick with the SB5100 modem and use my Linksys E2500 router and never suffer dropped connections or poor wireless range. The total ignorance of Rogers in not supplying a decent D3 modem it utterly beyond my comprehension!

Usually becuz Rogers has a long term contract with cisco and figure the money generated is more valued than the complaints received and customers dropping the service and going to the competitors...  they figure, gee - we already have lousy csr's who man the call centres. They get paid the same whether they take 1 complaint call or a 1000 a day so let them handle it. So our fixed cost remains the same but our net revenue still rise. A nice sentence they write in a PR manner for stock holders annual report that they are actually "innovating" and "partnering" with tech industry leaders to improve longterm customer development. Yea... something along those lines. SMH. 

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats