Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

I think its hit and miss with the cisco/sci atlanta period (both net and tv)

their cable boxes.. i replaced my 8300 5 times in 4 years.

My current one, over a year, not an issue yet (even with the new IPG).

My mom has had the same SD box.. since the first day they started the digital boxes 😛

Modem wise..  havent had an issue yet.. my mom has had 2

I'm Here A Lot

First of, I'm glad to see this information - I've gathered some great deal of information.

I've been an Express subscriber for a while. I happen to buy (instead of rent) a DPC 2100 cable modem. Didn't really noticed about the speed coz for me, it's considered fast for my day-to-day use.

Now I noticed, Rogers Express now has a usage limit of 80GB. Mine continues to show 60GB (See, I never even knew that it was bumped to 70GB, coz I never exceeded 60GB monthly, except this month)

So I called Rogers about it and they say I have to upgrade my modem. I didn't understand this at first, coz why would a modem upgrade be required if they are the ones setting the usage limit anyways? They can simply set 60 to 80GB.

Further reading this forum topic today helped me learned about DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0 --- so this change will provide better speeds. Fine. But monthly usage??? It doesn't make sense. Why can't I still use a DOCSIS 2.0 with 80GB monthly limit?

Anyways, I guess Rogers won't change their minds. I have no choice but to rent or buy a new modem with DOCSIS 3.0 to get 20GB more of usage per month. Again, to me, yes --- if I get better speeds with DOCSIS 3.0, I agree - if speed is my concern. But if it is just monthly usage limit, again, I don't see myself having to upgrade a modem.

Anyways, thanks to the person who opened this post. I see no information on Rogers.com about requiring a modem upgrade for Express subscribers. This topic helped.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ofkors

The D2 modems are quite capable of providing many of Roger's plans with both the advertised speeds and usage allowances. In fact, your DPC 2100 modem is capable of up to 43 Mbps downstream and 10 Mbps upstream. And we all know that your usage has absolutely nothing at all to do with what type of modem you use. Rogers will of course be quite happy to charge you for exceeding your 60 GB allowance and that maximum charge has now been doubled from $50 to $100 per month!

However, if Rogers were to provide those, it would reduce the incentive to cave in to Rogers attempts in convincing customers to switch to one of their D3 modems where of course you will be charged a higher price if you are renting the modem. It does not matter to Rogers that the D3 modems do not live up to what they advertise - only that they get customers off of the older D2 modems at a higher cost to the customer!

I'm Here A Lot

Exactly! IHR

I asked Rogers on Live Chat today asking if they have any special offers on D3 modems - now that I have to upgrade my D2 to D3 - they say no. I also asked if they can waive any excess usage charges since this is the first month ever that I think I will be exceeding 60GB - they said no - they don't think so.

I feel kinda cheated. I'm stuck at 60GB despite them increasing it to 80GB for the same monthly fee.

Not even a single footnote on their page to say you need a D3 modem to take advantage of the 80GB usage limit for Express subscribers with D2 modems.

I really don't get this.

I'm Here A Lot

Maybe I would accept an offer from them if they say ask me to exchange my DCP2100 which I have bought in the past to a DCP3825 - but nope. Not a word.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I too would be happy to switch to one of the D3 modems if Rogers could deliver on the promises they make on their Website. This is what they say about their wireless N gateway:

• Delivers consistent blazing fast speed for high definition movies
  • Enhanced wireless range delivers maximum signal strength anywhere in the home
  • Virtually NO dead zones in the home

Unfortunately, the gateways fall far short of the promises made by Rogers.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/blogs/insight/rogers-battles-lie-consumers-160821496.html

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Well reoa over at the live chat sometimes can not offer discounts or anything like that. If you want, contact Rogers and speak to a manager. Tell them what the issue is and see if they can maybe waive. The exceeding data u may go over or give you the 80GB. This may be the only way to do it unless someone else knows how to
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm not arguing over weither the old modem should get the higher cap (which it should)

But jut to clear up a point the ofkers said, it DOES show on the page footnotes about the rental. At the price listing is a footnote 1 marker. Looking at the details for it say that the $7 gateway rental is required.

I do agree that this info should be put more up front and clearly displayed at minimum.

I Plan to Stick Around

@IHR

true, technically those modems can hit those speeds. sadly they are not "provisioned" on the rogers network to tap into those speeds, thus thats were docsis 3 comes into play.

Also the higher rental fee has nothing to do with it being docsis 2 or 3. its the fact that it has a built in wireless router in it.

docsis 2 modem=stand alone modem=$4
docsis 3 modem+wifi router= $7

if everyone thinks about it its only $36 extra a year... how much does a wifi router cost, $50, $75?
I'm a Senior Advisor

I agree EddieDZ. It is just unfortunate that so many people have to pay extra for the router, only to turn around and use their own router because the equipment from Rogers does not live up to expectations!

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats