cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

ottawacan
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had Express service since 2008, and was renting a modem.  That modem recently failed and I went to a Rogers store to get a replacement. 

The replacement I got is a "Scientific Atlanta DPC2100".

(I didn't bother noting the make and model of the old modem that failed. It was a vertical standing unit, much bigger than DPC2100, with a "Pause" button.)

I have noticed that, with the replacement modem, I am getting slower results at Speedtest.net.

I used to get download speeds up to 25 Mb/s, using Fibrenoire server in Montreal.

Now, the speed Never exceeds 19 Mb/s. The average speed is much lower - sometimes as low as 5 Mb/s.

This annoys me... even if Express Service promises a max of 18 Mb/s.

I would like to know whether I am paying for the latest and current modem that Rogers rents out for Express subscribers.

Do they currently rent out DPC2100? (I've sent this question to Rogers twice, with no answer as yet.)

What modem do you have (for Express service)?

***edited labels***

46 REPLIES 46

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Appreciate the time you have taken to write such a detailed review. It is comments such as yours that keep me from switching to a D3 modem. I really hope that some day, Rogers will get the message. While they often claim that our messages are passed on to their "internal teams", whomever they might be, I fear that no one is really listening. Smiley Sad

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

It is also interesting to note Dimundz88 that the Rogers Rep has taken time to read and edit your comment, but cannot be bothered to post a reply. I guess that says a lot about Rogers!

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?-enhanced wi-fi modem

desi_dude
I've Been Around

Agree with the frustractions all you had. I have had similar discussions with the Express internet usage allowance...all I want them to do was to give me the extra band-width (I don't care about the speeds). But they refuse and say it is not compatible...which is not true.

I went yesterday to the Rogers store to get the D3 Modem ($7 rental) and they they didn't have them in stock so I was offere an enhanced wi-fi modem for $8 rental  (can't recall the manufacturer name). I called Rogers customer support from the store and they were kind enough to credit me the extra charge for a year. I will test the modem's performance and decide weather to continue renting or buying one (Do they allow that?). While I appreciate the goodwill gesture, they could have just increased the montthly quota with an option for a hardware upgrade.

I heard some companies out there are offering 300 GB for the same price of Express package with Rogers or Bell...time to shop around 🙂

Srini

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

If the modem you were given desi_dude was going for $8.00 per month, it sounds like the new Hitron gateway that Rogers has just introduced.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/713...

It would be great if you could report back to us on your experiences with this. I am sure many people are quite interested in hearing whether or not this modem is a real improvement over the problematic SMC and CISCO gateways, especially in terms of wireless performance. 

You are also quite correct in that the type of modem you have has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with what your monthly usage is. Rogers will be quite happy to allow you to exceed your 60 GB per month, especially now that they have upped the maximum charge for exceeding that from $50 to $100. 

Jaymeister
I Plan to Stick Around

Is it a difficult thing to put the gateway router into bridge mode? I'd much prefer to use my own (reliable) wireless router. That's the only way I would switch up to the DOCSIS 3.

I am not sure about the hilton gateway, but the cisco one is very easy to switch over to bridged mode.

Literaly log into the modem, go to one of the tabs (i cant remember which, i dont hvae it infront of me), and there is a dropdown where you can choose bridged mode.

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around
@Dimundz88
wow, thats a crappy experience you had there LoL, sucks to be you, then again things like this happen to everyone of us, not neccesarly from rogers but even other companies, I can rant about my vehicle insurance company **bleep** me up countless times, its the joy of ... well it just is what it is hahahahah. theres probably some good technical reasons as to what happened to your connection upon upgrading, docsis 2 operates on slightly different mibz then docsis 3 so when you had the D2 all was good and when switching to a D3 your RF mibz were probably not within spec. Also you may have had a bad device from the store, also it could have all been by coincidence that when you upgraded, got the new device, something may have happened in the building that effected multiple user connections and was probably nothing to do with you upgrading, or it could have been everything i just mentioned plus more hahahah. Enjoy.

As for putting the Hitron into bridge mode, first gotta make sure you disable the Wifi, then to put hitron into bridge mode you go to STATUS on the left then click on CAPABILITY tab then remove the checkmark for Residential Gateway function

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Once again, one has to ask the basic questions: Why is Rogers introducing yet another gateway modem that people see the need to put into bridge mode? Does this now make three gar*bage gateways that do not function properly as both a modem AND a router? And why can Rogers not provide a decent stand alone D3 modem so that discussion threads like these become totally unnecessary?

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around
Dont know why theres no stand alone modem like the old Docsis 2's, its probably a "smarter" move from a business standpoint you know what i mean, or something like that.

I havent needed to bridge the Hitron, infact i never even bridged my old SMC8014 and the SMCD3GN, i guess i been lucky, knock on wood i've never had any major problems that most customers complain about on here.

My only flaw was when I first got the Hitron, the first one was a lemon as it died in about 1hr after i plugged it in, when i mean died i mean totally died, no LED lights (different outlets too). i couldnt help but laugh that a brand spanking new unused unrefurbished out of the box deviced died that fast, but so far my second hitron is holding up well. Looking forward to the new firmware update being released soon 🙂

JetCanada
I Plan to Stick Around

The new modem is called Rogers Enhanced Home Networking Gateway.  It is a modem + wireless router.   If you have the older modem and are subscribing to Rogers Express, then you are likely paying $4/mth for the modem rental and you are limited to 60GB/mth download.

If you upgrade to the Network Gateway modem, then Rogers tells me that you will get faster speeds + they will give you 80GB of downloads (or 33% more per month).    For that, you must pay $7/mth for the upgraded modem ($3 more per month... seems like a good deal to me).

Tips:

- If you ask, Rogers will give you the first 6 mths of rental for free with no commitment after that.

- Alternatively, you can buy the router from Rogers for $149.95.   They will put it on your bill.   That's the option I chose because the modem will be paid off in 21 months.

- Either way, you need to return your existing modem to a Rogers store and exchange it for the upgraded one.

- You can also buy the modem from Best Buy or FutureShop for $149.99.  It's not worth it unless it goes on sale. 

- Reviews indicate that the wireless router performance is pretty crappy.   I don't think it's dual band.   If you have problems with the wireless router, you can apparently put it in bridge mode and use it as a modem and then plug your own router into it.   I plan to do that with my router since I have a Netgear R6300 that should have significantly better performance.   

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

There are two major issues here. First, is the refusal by Rogers to provide the higher speeds and usage allowances to customers who still have a D2 modem. The D2 modems are capable of receiving 18 Mbps for Express Internet and the type of modem you have has absolutely nothing to do at all with how much your usage is. Rogers will not hesitate to charge you if you exceed your 60 GB per month. And of course they still charge you the regular monthly fee!

Secondly, why should the customer have to pay $3 more per month for the so-called "enhanced gateway" when they need to put it into bridge mode and use their own router?

And if you want to bring up a third issue, why is Rogers providing a gateway modem that provides inferior wifi access when there are excellent stand alone D3 modems that could be authorized?

wondering if there is a ground for Class Action about unjustified limitation for D2 users

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Doubtful. It's their service, they can technically say the only way period to get any service is use modem X. It's their choice.

Of course, it's our choice to switch services, etc at that point, etc.

i have the same issue. since i got the new cisco modem, the wifi sucks totally

@111222222222222 wrote:
wondering if there is a ground for Class Action about unjustified limitation for D2 users

If so, there should also be grounds for a class action suit for the D3 users - against Rogers for providing such garbage equipment! Smiley Wink

@Rolandmarlien wrote:

It is the reason I stick with my SB5100 modem. We do not download a lot, so the current speeds are OK with us, though I would not mind the higher speeds. We never exceed our 60 GB, so that is also not an issue. So why would I switch to one of their cra*ppy D3 modems when I can stick with the SB5100 modem and use my Linksys E2500 router and never suffer dropped connections or poor wireless range. The total ignorance of Rogers in not supplying a decent D3 modem it utterly beyond my comprehension!

JetCanada
I Plan to Stick Around

I got the same bad WiFi with the Hitron.  I could hardly get devicese to connect in the same room.   I ended up calling Rogers to set the modem into bridge mode and plugged my Netgear  router into port 1.   

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@JetCanada wrote:

I got the same bad WiFi with the Hitron.  I could hardly get devicese to connect in the same room.   I ended up calling Rogers to set the modem into bridge mode and plugged my Netgear  router into port 1.   

Every D3 modem offered by Rogers is the same - terrible WiFi. You would think that by now Rogers would get it, but instead they go merrily on their way offering the same lousy service with the same lousy equipment and not giving a da*mn about their customers! It is just plain sad! Smiley Mad

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@IHR wrote:

@Rolandmarlien wrote:

It is the reason I stick with my SB5100 modem. We do not download a lot, so the current speeds are OK with us, though I would not mind the higher speeds. We never exceed our 60 GB, so that is also not an issue. So why would I switch to one of their cra*ppy D3 modems when I can stick with the SB5100 modem and use my Linksys E2500 router and never suffer dropped connections or poor wireless range. The total ignorance of Rogers in not supplying a decent D3 modem it utterly beyond my comprehension!

Usually becuz Rogers has a long term contract with cisco and figure the money generated is more valued than the complaints received and customers dropping the service and going to the competitors...  they figure, gee - we already have lousy csr's who man the call centres. They get paid the same whether they take 1 complaint call or a 1000 a day so let them handle it. So our fixed cost remains the same but our net revenue still rise. A nice sentence they write in a PR manner for stock holders annual report that they are actually "innovating" and "partnering" with tech industry leaders to improve longterm customer development. Yea... something along those lines. SMH. 

mhannan
I've Been Here Awhile

So it seems I have to get this new modem because I'm going over my 60 gig limit. But with all this talk about the wifi being crappy, how do I set it up to just use as a modem and not a wifi router, since the one I have, works perfectly?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Two choices.

Set the gateway in bridged mode. This effectively turns it into a modem only, and everything else is setup as normal. This should be able to be changes in the modems setups, or you can call Rogers to switch it over.

Alternatively, you can the router just as an access point. Change its ip, and turn off dhcp. No changes made on the gateway other than wireless off.