Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

I've had Express service since 2008, and was renting a modem.  That modem recently failed and I went to a Rogers store to get a replacement. 

The replacement I got is a "Scientific Atlanta DPC2100".

(I didn't bother noting the make and model of the old modem that failed. It was a vertical standing unit, much bigger than DPC2100, with a "Pause" button.)

I have noticed that, with the replacement modem, I am getting slower results at Speedtest.net.

I used to get download speeds up to 25 Mb/s, using Fibrenoire server in Montreal.

Now, the speed Never exceeds 19 Mb/s. The average speed is much lower - sometimes as low as 5 Mb/s.

This annoys me... even if Express Service promises a max of 18 Mb/s.

I would like to know whether I am paying for the latest and current modem that Rogers rents out for Express subscribers.

Do they currently rent out DPC2100? (I've sent this question to Rogers twice, with no answer as yet.)

What modem do you have (for Express service)?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Which Modem does Rogers rent for Express Service?

Your old modem sounds like the Motorola SB5100. I am using the same modem and have never had a problem with it.

The SA  DPC2100 is an older docsis 2 modem as well and I am surprised that Rogers even gave you this since the D2 modems are being phased out and replaced by the newer docsis 3 gateway modems - SMC and CISCO. You are definitely not paying for the latest and current modem that Rogers rents out for Express subscribers. Then again, your rental fee should be $4 a month while the D3 rental fee is $7 per month. 

The newer D3 modems are gateways - modem and router all-in-one! Most reports indicate that while the modem part works fine, the router is garbage and many customers need to put the modem in bridge mode (disabling the router part) and use their own router. 

As for your Speed Test results, you are likely experiencing the effect of the Rogers SpeedBoost technology. SpeedBoost detects when there is available bandwidth on the network and automatically provides a temporary burst of speed for the first 10 MB of a download or stream. As a result, speed tests are somewhat deceptive. I too get higher speed test results than what my speed actually is.

Also, the advertised Express speed of 18 Mbps only applies if you have a D3 modem (as does the 70 GB bandwidth allowance). Customers still using the D2 technology are only getting 10 Mbps with a 60 GB cap, despite the fact the the D2 modem is capable of both the higher speed and cap!

Hope this helps!

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info, IHR.

You said: "The SA  DPC2100 is an older docsis 2 modem"

Do you mean that the DPC2100 is older than the SB5100?

If that is the case, then maybe that explains why I was getting better results at speedtest.net with the SB5100 than I do now with the DPC2100. 

The sticker on my DPC2100 says it was manufactured in 2005! (Isn't that **bleep** OLD in this day and age?)

When I told the rep at Rogers store that my modem failed, he simply took it then handed me the DPC2100.

If he had offered me a docsis 3 modem, I'd have refused unless he promised higher speeds.

I already have 2 Apple Airport Base Stations. I'd feel stupid using a docsis 3 modem/router from Rogers.

Rogers' tactics seem to be getting more irksome every day. I will soon find an alternative.

Why don't they make it plain and official that what they advertise (18Mbps and 70GB) is not available without the costlier docsis 3 modem/router?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have no idea ottawacan which modem is older. I do remember that a number of years ago (7-8?) that Rogers notified us that we needed to bring our old modem in and replace it with a new one. We were given the SB5100. My sons got the same notice and they were given a Webstar, which I believe is the DPC2100. So I think it was just luck of the draw which modem you got. 

If you read the fine print on the Rogers page, it does kind of tell you that the D3 modem is required for the higher speeds. 

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

You need to click on the "SEE FULL DETAILS" link at the bottom.

Taxes and a $14.95 one-time activation fee apply, plus $7.00/mo modem rental or $199.95 modem purchase (for "N" home networking modem). 

That statement has to be referring to the D3 modem.

Theoretically, there is no reason why Rogers could not provide the 18 Mbps speed and 70 GB cap with the D2 modems, but they want people to convert to the D3 and this is their incentive. It is just too bad they are providing such lousy equipment these days!

If you read the comment by DrRockso on this thread, you will see the kind of garbage people have to put up with if they have a D3 modem!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/6341

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One of the other posters has posted, that it has to do with channel bonding and something else.. .the reason they want to go to the D3 modems.

That part i can understand.. wanting to take advantage of the newest technology/software.

But i do have to agree.. about they need have a few more options.. even if not allowing more brands.. but just D3 modems on their own (not gateways).

I've Been Around

The advertised Express speed of 18 Mbps only applies if you have a D3 modem (as does the 70 GB bandwidth allowance). Customers still using the D2 technology are only getting 10 Mbps with a 60 GB cap, despite the fact the the D2 modem is capable of both the higher speed and cap!

When contacted Rogers said that D2 technology modem and Express connection is a grandfather Express plan. Can't find the so called "Grandfather Express plan" anywhere in the website. It's only a verbal thing.

Rogers should be clear enough to say what they adverstise and what they offer. This is simple misleading. No problem if I don't get the speed nd the cap advertised for Express customers, if there is a "Grandfather Express plan" please show it as a plan in the list. That will be enough.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Rajj wrote:

The advertised Express speed of 18 Mbps only applies if you have a D3 modem (as does the 70 GB bandwidth allowance). Customers still using the D2 technology are only getting 10 Mbps with a 60 GB cap, despite the fact the the D2 modem is capable of both the higher speed and cap!

When contacted Rogers said that D2 technology modem and Express connection is a grandfather Express plan. Can't find the so called "Grandfather Express plan" anywhere in the website. It's only a verbal thing.

Rogers should be clear enough to say what they advertise and what they offer. This is simple misleading. No problem if I don't get the speed nd the cap advertised for Express customers, if there is a "Grandfather Express plan" please show it as a plan in the list. That will be enough.

An excellent suggestion! But Rogers wants to downplay the D2 modems in order to get more people onto the D3s. I know there is something to be said for the D3 technology - just not the garbage that Rogers is providing! I still think that in many ways I am better off with my SB5100 instead of having to put up with the dropped connections and poor wireless range that the D3 modems provided by Rogers are giving to customers! I am still looking for Rogers to come to their senses and authorize a good stand alone D3 modem for their Internet! An extra 8 Mbps in speed and a measly 10 GB more in usage allowance just does not do it for me!

I Plan to Stick Around

@Rajj wrote:

Rogers should be clear enough to say what they adverstise and what they offer. This is simple misleading. No problem if I don't get the speed nd the cap advertised for Express customers, if there is a "Grandfather Express plan" please show it as a plan in the list. That will be enough.

There's no such plan. The term "grandfathered" comes from contract law. It means that Rogers changed the terms of the Express Plan for the worse, but their customers who already had the Express Plan get to keep the old terms that they signed up for. Anybody new who signs up for the Express Plan will only get the terms now advertised on the website for that plan. You would have to find an older description of the Express Plan to find out what terms you're getting.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Call it what you want Bruce, but Rogers is using the term "grandfathered" for those customers still on the old terms. These are customers using a D2 modem and still receiving 10Mbps download with a 60 GB cap. The new Express plan is not a change for the worse, but for the better - at least in terms of receiving 18 Mbps download with a 70 GB cap. But since you now have to use one of their D3 modems, perhaps it is a change for the worse!!

I've Been Around

Clearly Rogers needs to find a better supplier of Modems than Scientific-Atlanta, Inc (Division of Cisco).

Why do you think the Rogers service vans keep an ample stock of them?

I have experienced a failure rate of 50% on new units right out of the box!

I have never had a DPC2100 last more than 10 months.  They have all overheated and burned out.

Even new units run increadibly hot.  Try touching the coax cable fitting where it enters the modem...it will be almost too hot to handle!

To extend the life of your DPC2100, make sure of the following:

Never stack them on top or below of other equipment!

Make sure they are in an open environment so they get plenty of air!

Never place paper or other flamable material on top of the modem (even for just a few moments).

Maybe I've just been unlucky, but 4 modems in less than 2 years is ridiculous!