cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to Buy DOCSIS3 Modem ?

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello,

In order for Rogers to update my internet i need one of the New DOCSIS3 modems as i am still using the old motarolla surfboard DOC2. Problem is that im not wanting to Rent it for $7 and just wanting to buy it for $149 but i have called 3 rogers stores and all of them informed me that they only have them to rent and not sell. I also called and spoke to a Rogers CSR and they informed me that they can not sell them over the phone and i could buy it online from Rogers.

Could someone point me in the right direction on how to get one of these ? It's not really my main choice in modem but it seems Rogers won;t accept anything else into their network.

The specific model i was looking for is

SMC DOCSIS3 Modem - "N"

Model number is SMCD3GN

Thanks for any information

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Where to Buy DOCSIS3 Modem ?

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

I had to purchase this directy through Rogers.

The Model i purchased is - "Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG"

I believe this is the newest of the DOCSIS 3 Modems.

I contacted both of the Rogers stores near me and they both informed me that i would not be able to purchase this Modem and only rent it, but i finally just went into one of them instead of calling and the guy there (who seemed to know what he was doing IE. Not a new employee) said there would be no problem with me purchasing the Modem and possibly they just had low stock when i was calling as if they have low stock they keep them to make sure they can Rent them out.

Bought it and have been using it ever since.

Id definitely recoment putting it in Bridge Mode and still using your own Wireless router as i don't like the build in one. Kinda a waste of money too cause your paying for the Router and Modem in one but only using it for the Modem. The Wireless is kinda sub par.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Don't buy the SMC - it is terrible. The other D3 modems from Rogers are not much better, but if you are intent on buying, you might want to try the CISCO3825.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/295...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/6538

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/7482

Also, be prepared to put the modem into bridge mode and use your own router!

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey,

I got to the rogers store and to my surprize the guy told me i could buy the modem from them even though 30 minutes earlier when i called that same store i was told no.

Anyways... i purchased a DOC3 modem for $149, but now that im home and got it working the USB key install thing they gave me has the CISCO logo all obver the instalation process. I thought the 149 was an SMC ?

The model name of this is CGN2-ROG and it says HitronTech on the Box, as well as the dam thing is huge lol. No big deal but they make it look small in all their pics while the thing is massive.

Im gonna give it a try using it's stock wireless capabilities but keeping my current network all setup so i can easilly turn it into bridge mode.

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around
Also just wanted to add that this USB instalation said it would take up to 5 minutes, i thik im stuck as it's been at 90% for the past 20 minutes even though i already have internet access.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

The Hitron is Rogers newest D3 gateway!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27643419-Rogers-Hitron-CGN2-ROG

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27485761-New-Rogers-HITRON-CGN2-ROG-Cant-Stay-Online

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/713...

You'll likely need your own router with that one as well, but likely an improvement over the SMC! Be thankful for that! Smiley Wink

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Well iv been messing around with this thing since i got it.

First got it setup and hooked my computer directly to the modem to try and access the Admin Panel, waited for all the lights to come on so i knew it was connected to the internet, hooked my computer up to port 1, look at my computer and run an ipconfig to see that the COmputer does recognise that there is something hooked up to it and am not able to load up 192.168.0.1, it just dies not load.

After trying to get this to work iv restored it to factory defaults about 3 times, now i finally managed to get into the Admin panel and turned the modem into bridge mode. After that it again told me i was unable to log in but this time it's understandable seeing that it is acting just like a router now.

Now the moment of truth, time to look up my router to it again and see if my network works again using this as iv only been able to get online directly.

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

Hallelujah think i got it.

Im now (as well as all the other computers in my house) are connect wired and wirelessly to my Cisco ROuter and in turn the router is hooked up to the DOC3 Modem and im online and things seems to be working good.

One thing i noticed even though the Modem is in Bridge mode and Wireless is disabled the Green Wireless light on the Modem is still on, it's not broadcatsing a signal but the light is still on displaying that wireless is enabled even though it is not.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

_0101_
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone provide a link to the exact model to buy, and where it is available? I want to stop renting mine.  thanks.

Twam
I Plan to Stick Around

I had to purchase this directy through Rogers.

The Model i purchased is - "Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG"

I believe this is the newest of the DOCSIS 3 Modems.

I contacted both of the Rogers stores near me and they both informed me that i would not be able to purchase this Modem and only rent it, but i finally just went into one of them instead of calling and the guy there (who seemed to know what he was doing IE. Not a new employee) said there would be no problem with me purchasing the Modem and possibly they just had low stock when i was calling as if they have low stock they keep them to make sure they can Rent them out.

Bought it and have been using it ever since.

Id definitely recoment putting it in Bridge Mode and still using your own Wireless router as i don't like the build in one. Kinda a waste of money too cause your paying for the Router and Modem in one but only using it for the Modem. The Wireless is kinda sub par.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation