Where is my data going? And why is it so spartatic

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Where is my data going? And why is it so spartatic

Try swaping the modem.. just incase.
This may help avoid any 'mac cloning' etc if that is whats happening.

As well, might just fix the issue of not enough channels bonding, etc.

Beyond that.. Call back and push the issue.  Tell them, that to look at the modem status.. that there are not enough channels bonded, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just wanted to let everybody know that my expierence with Start is excellent !

Top Service and you get to speak with a tech service within 3 minutes, they call you back etc.. .

Wonderfull for $35  / 10 Mps down 1Mps up /  +$15 optional for unlimited download

bought a modem as well for $ 85  , I highly recommend the service, Rogers Tech comes for installation 🙂 !!!

Bottom line is unlimited for half the price !!

Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

I was having similar problems before. Sudden overages that couldn't be explained. At their suggestion I upgraded our plan and for a while it seemed okay. Got the newest Cisco modem they had at the time. Then started seeing spikes again and went over our max. So we switched off the router in the modem. First three days usage was under half a gig per day. Then started climbing to an average of 4-5 GB/day. Last Sunday big spike to 18GB then down again. Is it possible that someone has hacked into our modem and is using our data? If so, how do you stop that?
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two ways to look at it.

A) someone has hacked into YOUR unit.. would be via wireless (unless you have a cat5e cable running to a neibours house, etc 😛
Change the wireless password... make sure the security settings are set the highest they can be, etc. (highest type of encryption, etc)

B) The case that has been mentioned here.. MAC cloning.
WHere some has a hacked unit which is set up, to have their show the SAME MAC address as yours.
Request wise on rogers end.. looks like comming from the SAME units..
Really only way to help this.. is to SWAP modems, get away from an address the bad people may have.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Agree with Gdkitty's remarks.  Consider strengthening your network names and passphrases and consider the possibilty of MAC address cloning, in which case a modem swap is in order. 

If its still up and running, log into the modem, take a screen shot of the status page which shows download and upload amounts and the uptime of the modem.  Take note of those amounts and time and then look at the online stats.  Calculate, if you can, based on the modem uptime, how far back in days, that the modem data represents.  Then look at the corresponding online data amounts and total them up for the same time frame.  What I am wondering is whether they correspond well, as they should, or, if there is a large discrepancy between what the modem indicates and what the online data indicates.  A large discrepency would indicate a signal issue between the modem and Cable Modem Termination System, or the possibilty of MAC address cloning.  So that is one thing to look at.

Can you also navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and post them into this thread just to see if there is any issue there.

Lastly, do you use twitter or facebook?  If so, please contact the social media team and indicate to them that you have large unpredicable overages occuring.  With that contact, they can start working on rectifying the situation. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have recently been getting ridiculously high internet usage compared to my actual usage. I have made sure that I am using a secure password on my gateway. I used the internet for a couple hours yesterday playing a game which I did not have to update at all. I also made sure other software wasn't updating/running in the background. But somehow I managed to use 5gigs 3gigs/dl and 2gigs/up. I'm looking at my wan information and the numbers here don't add up to the last 42hours that my gateway was on compared to the Rogers website. Any ideas why my usage allowance is much higher?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you log into your modem and look at the status page you should see both the download and upload amounts shown.  Take a screen shot of that and store it somewhere.  Also note the modem uptime.  With that uptime in mind, have a look at your online stats and see if you can determine, from the uptime, where the same time or date as shown on the online stats coincides.  Keep in mind that todays modem data will not be posted online yet.  What I would be interested in knowing is if you show a significantly larger amount of downloads and/or uploads on the online stats versus what you show on the modem.  The data measurements are supposed to be at the modem, so if there is a large discrepency between the two, that would indicate that the usage data is being corrupted between the modem and the Cable Modem Termination System or that possibly your MAC address has been cloned by someone who has used it for their own download purposes.  I would be interested in knowing if there are significant differences.

Along those lines can you navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  I'm wondering if there are any signal issues going on.

Lastly, do you use twitter or facebook.  If so, please contact the social media team by one of those two methods to start resolving the issue and to take care of any extreme overages.

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Funny. I got my Rogers bill the other day and I just noticed that it is lower than I expected. When I looked at the details there's a unspecified credit for $13.36. Maybe someone heard me? Weird.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

After 3 month of unresolved issues I have cancelled my Rogers today .

Calling every month to get my bill adjusted was getting on my nerves.