Where is my data going? And why is it so spartatic

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Where is my data going? And why is it so spartatic

Yeah.. while i understand, that yes.. there are LOTS of users, who start using netflix, and dont realise WHAT the usage is, that it takes up etc..

It seems to be a FALLBACK to blame on.

A small higher amount? sure... but even they should realize that the larger amount, is something else. 
It seems to be a lack of training.. knoledge, etc.. of the phone reps 😞

HOPEFULLY the swapping modems will help you.

Good luck.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe cloning is happening far more than Rogers would like to admit. An yes their phone support are not educated on the issue. I have swapped my modem and will track the usage for the next month. If it goes away I will be calling Rogers. Telling them to not charge me
Overages for the last two months and I will go from there. If they can't do that for a 15 yr plus customer I'm leaving. As they can not give me any evidence I have used this data.

They know something is wrong. They just can't admit it. I'm in Ontario is this happening to others in Ontario? In the GTA?

Kd
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problems in these cases.. is the 'one person ruins it for everyone' scenarios.
It comes down to.... and this is not saying that YOU DID use it... but there is no proof that you DID NOT either.
The amount of poeple that would go OVER... quite possibly on PURPOSE.. then call in and say "Hey, it wasnt ME!!!" and then not get charged for it?  People would abuse the system 😞

So its not always easy 😞

I am not saying to NOT fight it.  Please do!.. its important.. and hopefully they may eventually realise to start figuring out something MORE to figure out whats going on.

Hopefully they can work something out, etc..

I have seen the same sort of reports from a few carriers (all cable ones.. as i dont think the same sort of setup is as easy to do say on DSL and other forms of internet)..
If you do swtich.. look around, and do ALL yorur research first.  Dont just jump on the next cheapest guy.  Look on forums and find out other comments about the service.  Find others in your area with that service and see how it is there (could be GREAT in A, but SUCK in B).  Double check on what their overage scenarios are, just incase they have something SIMILAR or even WORSE 😛

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ohh I do not want to leave rogers. Like I said before I have beena 15 + year customer. Its more the fact that they refuse to admit that there is a problem. As well they give me zero options to trouble shoot the problem. I have no intention of leaveing I will only leave if they refuse to aknowledge that I have gone out of my way to try and find a solution and better prepare myself for my defence in fighting somthing that they ultimatly have the final say in. 

If they want to deny this customer a 200 dollar credit as im sure that now since I have gotten a new modem these freak data usages will dissapear at least for a few months and hopfully forever. Than they dont deserve my business. 

I have set my router up so that only known Mac addresses can connect eliminating the possibilty of outsiders guessing my wifi passwords or tunneling in on port 80 or 22 etc. Not there was any evidence of that at all in the first place (As I have a 1 week DHCP Lease time and two days after the 300 gig days I checked the IP address in the router log and no unknown devices connected.  

Its basically like this I have done more than my share as a customer to prevent this from happing. If im doing my part and they will not do their part by offering a secure connection and modem. Than they do not appreciate my business and they dont deserve my business. Somone else does.

Ill keep everyone posted. as I monitor my usage daily now. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi guys, another case. I really wonder how prevalent this is?

http://goo.gl/Gfdzcp
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, sigh, looks like another case.  Anyone have a twitter account they can use to reply to Mrs Brewer?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I added a reply to her tweet.

The best I can figure is MAC cloning.

If it was bad metering, would be for longer periods, unlikely a bad one day fine the next.

From what I was reading about MAC cloning is they tend to rotate every 1-3 days, so less likely to be noticed. Would match up that a lot of these users only see the spikes for a day or two.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well all was good for a few weeks. Now the problem has happened again. Yesterday 465 Gigs in one day. And a day where no one was home for even half the day. on a 24 hour clock thats 19 gigs an hour. No New IP address in the DHCP table and no new connections/ No unknown MAc addresses.

I don't know what to do now. 

Somonme could have taken this modems mac address again or they already had the MAC address and i simply got a returned modem from the store.  Now im going to have to call Rogers and have a fight with them and maybe unfortunatly cancel. I see no way for them to help me track this down or resolve the issue. 

The last managers i spoke to all agreed that this seems odd and they believe its fraud but them nor I can prove it. I may have to switch to another provider as im sure they wont  keep crediting my bill.. Which i really don't want to do I like Rogers and I need a new cell phone plan so i wanted to tie them togethr,.

Dang it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you swaped your modem from the inital time above that it happened?

If not.. they likely rotated around to your MAC again..

Swaping to a new one.. would at least give you a new MAC, thats NOT the same... but its not to say, that they dont have that one on their list either. 😞

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

PM sent. Please check your email.