cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Galaxy Note 4 receive OTA Lollipop update?

spencerg
I've Been Around

I was wondering if anyone knew when that Lollipop update will happen for the Note 4? Is there a thread started already about this, and, if so, can someone provide the link for this? Thank you!

***Edited Labels.***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: When will the Galaxy Note 4 receive OTA Lollipop update?

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersDarrell,

Might I suggest updating the "Upcoming Rogers OS" column for the Galaxy Note 4 to read: "5.1.1" then?

There are a number of obvious updates that could be present in that list that could be entered without committing to dates.

Thanks,

Edit: Part of the reason Rogers takes so much flack in your community section over software upgrades is the absolute snails pace you release our updates.  I would be shocked to find you ahead of any major carrier for rolling things like this out.

In fact, both Bell and Telus users both had this update running on the Note 4 as early as October 2nd!  Here we are on October 14th and we don't even have 5.1.1 listed in the "Upcoming" field on your updates page. 

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@BGrant

No confirmed date at this time for the Galaxy Note 4 5.1.1 update.

Once I have it, the Community will be the first to know I promise you. Smiley Happy

RogersDarrell

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't need to enter the date when you enter "5.1.1" as the next upcoming OS release for the device. 

Edit: For people reading this, don't bother reading the Rogers page.  Connect to Wifi on your phone.  Go to settings -> About Device -> Software Updates.

Run that.  If your upgrade is ready it'll show up.  Beyond that, don't expect to get advanced notification here.

angeluszero
I Plan to Stick Around

Bell and Telus both released 5.1.1 for the Note 4. Since all Canadian carrieres use the same phone(same model N910W8, hardware etc) you can flash theirs instead of Rogers. At this rate and with all the issues they had with the S6 5.1.1 Update, don't expect the Note to be updated before 2016. Even then i would be very suprised if they did at all, they will probably skip it and go straight to 6.0.

I flashed Bell's firmware on top of my Rogers Note 4 and it upgraded succesfully. Didn't lose anything, data or settings.

The software is all the same, the only difference between the carriers is the bloatware they include(rogers app etc)

you can download the 5.1.1 firmware from sammobile

happypc
I've Been Here Awhile

Yup. All the major carriers except for Rogers it seems had the update ready by Oct. 1. What's the hold-up?

Yes, I know... "there's no news" but come on, Rogers!

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
Very disappointing... I dont mind having or not having 5.1.1 on my phone, but at least let the customers know what is going on, why the hold up, and knowing an estimated time of push would be greatly appreciated by everyone...

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
So that makes it 16 days late... So far

All of the other major Canadian carriers have rolled out 5.1.1 for the Note 4. Why hasn't Rogers yet? 

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers Community Forums update page is still showing that 5.1.1 is not even contemplated for the Note 4.  As has been noted by numerous previous posts, Bell and Telus sent updates for their Note 4 users on October 2 and Wind has since also updated their Note 4 users to 5.1.1

Under Ted Rogers, Rogers led the way technologically over the other Canadian carriers.  Not so today.

Until 10 months ago I was a Blackberry user and would not hesitate to upgrade the OS to the latest and greatest OS offered from any major carrier around the world.  I little more nervous with Android, but finally broke down and downloaded the SM-N910W8 firmware (Wind vesion since Wind has always been gsm, unlike Telus and Bell who I believe still use CDMA for voice?) from SamMobile as well as the Odin file.  I followed the instructions on SamMobile and installed the 5.1.1 on my Note 4 this afternoon and it went without a hitch.  The download from SamMobile took forever since I opted for the free download.  Actual installatin took less than 3 minutes, but a while to update the program files.

Seems to working fine, but have not had enough time to fully evaluate 5.1.1 on my Note 4 to give a final verdict.   

seriosbrad
I Plan to Stick Around

@jfraser27

Nice work.  I did the same with the Bell firmware.

All the Canadian carriers who sell the SM-N910W8 Note 4 use the exact same firmware from Samsung, only customized to add their custom carrier apps, which is why we can flash any of them on our Rogers phone.  There's seemingly no reason for Rogers to be holding 5.1.1 back from us.

happypc
I've Been Here Awhile

"finally broke down and downloaded the SM-N910W8 firmware (Wind vesion since Wind has always been gsm, unlike Telus and Bell who I believe still use CDMA for voice?) from SamMobile as well as the Odin file. "

I downloaded it (the Wind version) a few days ago but have been holding off. Seeing as I'm not the only one, I think I might just go ahead with it tonight.

soundwave80
I Plan to Stick Around
Mabey Rogers will skip 5.1.1 and go straight to 6.0 marshmallow when it's available?

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
I would not mind that.

Even if that was the case, why not let us know?

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

After 24 hours with the Wind version of 5.1.1, have not noticed any anomalies, issues or hiccups on my Rogers Note 4.  After 10 hours of moderate use, battery at 70%.  Cannot really tell if faster as haven’t tried intensive apps.

edgmsh
I've Been Around

I was wondering when Note 4 will get the 5.1.1 update. I know all other carriers already updated their customers with Note 4 to 5.1.1 except Rogers.

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
^ I have been wondering for the past 22 days

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
Just checked the OS upgrade page, and finally it shows coming soon 🙂

soundwave80
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm downloading 5.1.1 on my note 4 now!!

@soundwave80

I am updating mine as well! Smiley LOL

Its a big one 735.93MB! 

Make sure to use your Wifi! 

ss

_GalaxyS3
I Plan to Stick Around
Just downloaded as well, will update later

angeluszero
I Plan to Stick Around

How are you guys downloading it? The status just got changed to coming soon? Is it officially released?

Topic Stats