cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will the Galaxy Note 4 receive OTA Lollipop update?

spencerg
I've Been Around

I was wondering if anyone knew when that Lollipop update will happen for the Note 4? Is there a thread started already about this, and, if so, can someone provide the link for this? Thank you!

***Edited Labels.***

87 REPLIES 87

Re: When will the Galaxy Note 4 receive OTA Lollipop update?

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

The Note 4 is getting updated generally accross Europe starting yesterday, to 5.1.1

http://www.androidauthority.com/5-1-1-lollipop-galaxy-note-4-europe-638127/

The major carriers in the US have been updating the Note 4 to 5.1.1

Rogers is still showing no plans to update the Note 4 from 5.01 to 5.1.1

Dissappointing.

zeroz3hereo
I Plan to Stick Around
@jfraser27

Personally you are not missing out on anything exciting. So far 5.1.1 has had alot of issues with all devices battery life and heat related being the most notorious lol 😁

wpd
I Plan to Stick Around
Add to that, email and text notification issues. It really has issues. You'll be complaining once you update and as we know, they don't correct issues with any speed so enjoy 5.01 while you have it. For me, the e mail notification issues are bad enough that I may return my notes 5.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @jfraser27

I'm sure the wait is worth it. There is a lot of bugs and issues with the update that may be one reason why Rogers is holding back or late in the game

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

I will be patient.  Thanks for the insite.

Actually 4.4.4 semed to work just fine.  I really don't have any issues with 5.01, except, fairly often when I delete messages on my personal e-mail (as opposed to the corporate e-mail) the messages will reappear almost immediately after deleting them.  This did not happen with 4.4.4.

It is strange that virtually all the western cariers, except Canada (not just Rogers, but Bell and Telus also), have embraced 5.1.1 if there are all those problems.

The one thing which intrigued me were reports that in 5.1.1 Samsung cut down on the bloatware in its Touchware overlay without any loss in functionality.  To have a more efficient operating system would definitely be a plus. 

The Rogers update site does not even say they are working 5.1.1 for the Note 4.

I wondered if they were waiting for 6.0 (M) and would skip 5.5.1

seriosbrad
I Plan to Stick Around

5.1.1 for the Note 4 brings you the speed and smoothness that you were expecting when you first bought your device, sure it seemed fast, but it still wasn't as fast as lower end devices 5.0.1 wasn't well optimized for the Note 4.   Look up some comparison videos between 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 and you'll see straight away that it's been pretty horrible.  It's pretty unlikely that we'll have any issues with the Rogers 5.1.1 update, but there are still bound to be some bugs here and there - it's not Rogers fault though.

One major difference is switching between apps, and the app switcher.  Press your app switcher button, notice the 2-3 second delay? That's basically gone in 5.1.1, it's very fast.

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

According to a post on Android Headlines.com yesterday, Bell support  has said in a tweet that Note 4 on the Bell network will get updated to 5.1.1 in October.

I have read esewhere that Rogers'/Fido customers are having problems with the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and 5.1.1 in relatin to calls and messaging, on LTE which may go away when you down grade to HSPA.  5.1.1 was intorduced for those phones at the biginning of September but quickly withdrawn by Rogers.  It is currently shown as "coming soon" on the Rogers Communmity Forum.  That may indicate a problem specifically between 5.1.1 and Rogers' LTE network, at least on Samsung Galaxy phones.

An earlier indication on the Telus web site that 5.1.1 was coming to the Note 4 in September does not appear to be there anymore.

From what I have seen, including the post above, the Note 4 should work better on 5.1.1, but until the bug that the S6  has experienced with 5.1.1 is resolved, perhaps we should wait. 

JM91
I've Been Around

Hello, I have a Note 4 and I am still wondering when the update 5.1.1 is going to be released. The carriers in US have already released the update and Bell is releasing the 5.1.1 update for Note 4 users next month. There is no indication when Rogers is releasing the update for Note 4. Any suggestions?? 

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

According to Mobilesyrup and other sites, Bell and Telus Note 4 users started recieving the 5.1.1 update yesterday.  Nothing for my Note 4 when I checked a few minutes ago.  The update page on Rogers Community Forum still indicates that no updates are currentluy contemplated for the Note 4.

seriosbrad
I Plan to Stick Around

You can install any one of the Canadian updates manually via Odin on Rogers devices.  I personally installed the Telus  5.1.1 update without any issues, and the phone is much, much faster.  However, you'll also be installing some of the stock carrier apps that might be annoying.

I'm pretty disappointed that with the 5.1.1 update from Rogers obviously being very close to release, that they still haven't updated the "OS Upgrade" page.  They need to communicate more with customers.

soundwave80
I Plan to Stick Around
Even smaller carriers like Koodo has 5.1.1 for note 4.Come on Rogers make it happen!

CSensation
I've Been Here Awhile

It is my understanding that Telus and other carriers have the Android 5.1.1 update rolling out to Samsung Galaxy Note 4 users.  What is Roger's scheduled release date for said update?

***Edited Labels***

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @CSenation

At this moment there isn't any news on when it will be pushed out. Please check the " OS Upgrade Schedule" thread for more info when it gets update. Stay tuned!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/html/assets/OSUpgrade.html

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix, the Rogers OS Upgrade Schedule still shows that Rogers is not even contemplating updating the Note 4 to 5.5.1.

In the meantime a number of other carriers are scheduling other Android devices to be updated to Android 6 this month!

Hopefully you have some connection with Rogers to get some idea of when we might expect 5.1.1, or why there is a delay.

One of my fellow workers has the Note 5 which came with 5.1.1.  He tells me that SureTap does not work on his Note 5.  Has Samsung engineered 5.1.1 so that it is difficult for SureTap to work (in preference to Samsung's own pay system)?

jfraser27
I Plan to Stick Around

PS.  Rogers does say that Android 6 is coming tomorrow to the Nexus 5 and 6.

When 5.1.1 to Note 4? 

seriosbrad
I Plan to Stick Around

Please check the " OS Upgrade Schedule" thread for more info when it gets update.

You may as well memorize this phrase because it's the only answer you will get out of Rogers.  They are falling behind in customer relations.  That page is a very unreliable source, too.  Canned answers to keep us "happy", because nobody knows what's going on.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @seriosbrad

That's the only info I can give seeing as i don't work for them. Even if the reps knew, they can only say so much.

seriosbrad
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

And that is precisecly the issue that I am bringing up.  Everyone within the Rogers network is being left in the dark, meanwhile the competition around us is enjoying actual carrier communication and updates.  Luckily, I know how to flash custom firmware - it's just a disappointment that I'm forced to do so.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around
Don't bother listening to anyone parroting the advice to look at the Rogers upgrade page. Rogers barely even updates it.

My Rogers S5 is running on 5.1.1 from Rogers right now, and at the time of this post the Rogers upgrade page doesn't even list it as upcoming.

You'll get it on your phones long before anyone at Rogers will admit it's coming.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @BGrant

That's due to the mods not updating the site. It seems either they forgotten to update it or something.

Again this is very helpful comment I made but then again it's not for everyone's liking.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @BGrant

The OS Upgrades Schedule was updated last week. If you're seeing an older version, try clearing your cookies and cache on your browser and you should then see the updated schedule.

Sometimes older versions of the schedule become cached on some browsers.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

Topic Stats