When will Rogers push Samsung Gear VR support?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

When will Rogers push Samsung Gear VR support?

Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if this is a potential issue, or if it's a non-issue.   I am obviously on Rogers with my S6 Edge +.   The new Gear VR comes out Nov 20, 2015 in the USA.   I have someone who is going to buy it for me who just happens to be travelling back to Canada on Nov 25.   From experience or knowledge, does anyone know if I will run into any issues when trying to use it?   eg) the Carrier (Rogers) doesn't need to update phones at all with anything Rogers specific, will they?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: When will Rogers push Samsung Gear VR support?

Hey everyone,

I've confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge with build number ending in OJ7 are already compatible with Samsung Gear VR.

The Samsung Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ are expected to be made compatible within a short time period after the December 11th launch of the Samsung Gear VR pending successful certification.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

All Replies
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers will need to send out an update. In the US all carriers basically have had an update for the Note 5 to support the Gear VR within the last couple weeks. I wouldn't hold my breath with Rogers doing anything for it since it isn't in Canada yet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe your S6 Edge is already supported though. It could be. Maybe Rogers Darrell has info

I've Been Here Awhile

The Samsung Gear VR has now been released.  Many Canadians already own one (they went to the US to pick one up,) and Best Buy Canada is taking orders for delivery on Dec 11th.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-gear-vr-sm-r322/10399763.aspx?path=96f1305566d4b321579a4...

Unfortunately, the Note 5 (and other phones) are not compatible with the device until Rogers pushes a software update.

When will this happen?

***Edited Labels***

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @VR_Guy

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Unfortunately we cannot comment on any features and/or changes that we have not announced as of yet.

Keep your eyes out on the OS Upgrade page for any new updates.

@RogersPrasana

I've Been Here Awhile

Please let your top-level technical team know about this issue.  The largest electronics retailer in the country is currently taking orders for the Samsung Gear VR and they are not providing a warning (as Amazon.com is in the US,) that the device is basically a useless brick unless the carrier provides the OS upgrade.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-gear-vr-sm-r322/10399763.aspx

On Dec 11th, I beleive you will have a lot of unhappy customers.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I'm planning on picking one up. It's common sense for them to push an update very soon as the US already got their update weeks ago on the Note 5 to support the VR. I would be shocked if we don't seen Rogers send an update by the end of next week.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

I know a few people that want this as well as i do. Hopefully Rogers does enable it but most importantly let's enjoy the device Hehe.
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, from what I hear we won't be able to enjoy the device without an update!    I pre-ordered it, so we'll see if there is a Sam-pacolaypse on Friday Dec 11!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey everyone,

I've confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge with build number ending in OJ7 are already compatible with Samsung Gear VR.

The Samsung Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ are expected to be made compatible within a short time period after the December 11th launch of the Samsung Gear VR pending successful certification.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post