cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will Rogers push Samsung Gear VR support?

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey everybody,

I'm wondering if this is a potential issue, or if it's a non-issue.   I am obviously on Rogers with my S6 Edge +.   The new Gear VR comes out Nov 20, 2015 in the USA.   I have someone who is going to buy it for me who just happens to be travelling back to Canada on Nov 25.   From experience or knowledge, does anyone know if I will run into any issues when trying to use it?   eg) the Carrier (Rogers) doesn't need to update phones at all with anything Rogers specific, will they?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: When will Rogers push Samsung Gear VR support?

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey everyone,

I've confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge with build number ending in OJ7 are already compatible with Samsung Gear VR.

The Samsung Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ are expected to be made compatible within a short time period after the December 11th launch of the Samsung Gear VR pending successful certification.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

dieselx
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers will need to send out an update. In the US all carriers basically have had an update for the Note 5 to support the Gear VR within the last couple weeks. I wouldn't hold my breath with Rogers doing anything for it since it isn't in Canada yet.

dieselx
I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe your S6 Edge is already supported though. It could be. Maybe Rogers Darrell has info

VR_Guy
I've Been Here Awhile

The Samsung Gear VR has now been released.  Many Canadians already own one (they went to the US to pick one up,) and Best Buy Canada is taking orders for delivery on Dec 11th.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-gear-vr-sm-r322/10399763.aspx?path=96f1305566d4b321579a4...

Unfortunately, the Note 5 (and other phones) are not compatible with the device until Rogers pushes a software update.

When will this happen?

***Edited Labels***

Hi @VR_Guy

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Unfortunately we cannot comment on any features and/or changes that we have not announced as of yet.

Keep your eyes out on the OS Upgrade page for any new updates.

@RogersPrasana

VR_Guy
I've Been Here Awhile

Please let your top-level technical team know about this issue.  The largest electronics retailer in the country is currently taking orders for the Samsung Gear VR and they are not providing a warning (as Amazon.com is in the US,) that the device is basically a useless brick unless the carrier provides the OS upgrade.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/samsung-gear-vr-sm-r322/10399763.aspx

On Dec 11th, I beleive you will have a lot of unhappy customers.

Dx9
I'm a Reliable Contributor
I'm planning on picking one up. It's common sense for them to push an update very soon as the US already got their update weeks ago on the Note 5 to support the VR. I would be shocked if we don't seen Rogers send an update by the end of next week.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hey guys!

I know a few people that want this as well as i do. Hopefully Rogers does enable it but most importantly let's enjoy the device Hehe.

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, from what I hear we won't be able to enjoy the device without an update!    I pre-ordered it, so we'll see if there is a Sam-pacolaypse on Friday Dec 11!

RogersDarrell

Hey everyone,

I've confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge with build number ending in OJ7 are already compatible with Samsung Gear VR.

The Samsung Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ are expected to be made compatible within a short time period after the December 11th launch of the Samsung Gear VR pending successful certification.

Thanks!

RogersDarrell

VR_Guy
I've Been Here Awhile

Have you made any attempt to communicate to Best Buy that the Samsung Gear VR will NOT work for any Rogers customer with a Note 5 on Dec 11th?   It seems like this could create a lot of headaches for both customer service teams since expectations are definately being set.

FWIW, I'm just a little annoyed because I bought the 16GB Note 5 from Rogers and a Samsung Gear VR from the US and expected it to work.  Now I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for a software update and the 64GB Note 5 is now the same price as what I paid for the 16GB one!  At the very least, I expected that the Note 5 would work on the day that the Gear VR is released in Canada (most US carriers pushed the update well in advance of the launch there.)  Instead, I will have to wait for the update until a while later.

Dx9
The update shouldn't happen after the launch of the VR. Only makes sense to push the update in advance like the US. Rogers has had access to the compatible sw for some time now directly from Samsung. It's just the way it is with CDN Carriers. They are always behind

Lando
I've Been Here Awhile

Every major provider in the States was able to release the update before the gear VR released, makes no sense why Rogers can't do the same. Now due to Rogers incompetence all Note 5 users are going to be stuck with a $140 paper weight for a few days. 

Dx9
We will be lucky if it's a few days. Short while could be weeks. As already mentioned the update showed have already been released by now. Very disappointing from Rogers.

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @VR_Guy

Since I work at Best Buy, we got a email a couple days ago from Rogers letting us know the update isn't out and such. The reps are supposed to tell u but again depends on if they were told or not.

It seems Rogers is having difficulties putting this update together

Mr_S6_Edge_plus
I'm Here A Lot
Hello there, I just got my Gear VR SM-322 (the version that works with the Galaxy S6 Edge +) and of course it is not working. I know for a fact that Samsung has made the update for the S6 Edge + and Note 5 late October, why hasn't Rogers pushed it out yet? I have this wonderful toy that I can't use right now. I bought my Gear VR from the source Canada, so it's legit. Come on Rogers, just out out the update please... For Christmas 🎄 at least!

Mr_S6_Edge_plus
I'm Here A Lot
Why in heavens name did Rogers update last year's flag ship before this year's??? Do you know how much money I paid for the 32GB Galaxy S6 Edge + on the day it came out??? My brother got the 64GB for 30$ cheaper than what I paid 3 weeks ago. This is ridiculous Rogers, please put ou the update, I recieved my Gear VR yesterday and I can't do anything with it!!

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Roger!    How soon?

Not to be a Grinch, but I don't beleive a reasonable amount of time would alot to more than 1 or 2 days.   Is this too much longer or do you know?    I want to have faith in my serivce provider (Rogers) but I'm sure others (like me) will jump ship if they aren't keeping their customers in mind.

rawr4444
I Plan to Stick Around

Darn it..... my Gear VR shipped today.    I can't find anything from Rogers.   The guy responding to messages on Facebook didn't even know what Gear VR was.    I'm crossing my fingers that it will work, but not holding my breath!

RogersDarrell

UPDATE:

Samsung will be releasing Android 5.1.1 Maintenance Releases for both the Note 5 (build LMY47X.N920W8VLU2AOK5)  and the Galaxy S6 Edge+ (build LMY47X.G928W8VLU2AOK5) tomorrow.

This Maintenance Release includes support for the Samsung Gear VR.

RogersDarrell

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 12 in conversation