cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using Rogers home phone - where is it listed?

CdnJane
I've Been Here Awhile

If someone is trying to call you - what directory are Rogers Home Phone numbers listed?  Is there a Rogers telephone book?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: When using Rogers home phone - where is it listed?

BrandonP
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
Hi CdnJane,

If you have Rogers Home Phone then your information would appear in both the 411 database (phone & online) and phonebook (white pages).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

BrandonP
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
Hi CdnJane,

If you have Rogers Home Phone then your information would appear in both the 411 database (phone & online) and phonebook (white pages).

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

CdnJane
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks, yes it does answer my question.

reneelesarge
I've Been Around

if i looked up my friend number but she just changed ity how long will it take to be entered in the database for 411????

SREGORSucks
I've Been Here Awhile

It is frustrating all Rogers is saying that for $10 A MONTH  they can block the 411 phone number.  A great deal at $120 a year plus tax.

SREGORSucks
I've Been Here Awhile

Still getting the occasional 411 charge on my account. Unbelievable way of making extra cash and no way of fighting it.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The only way ill get charged for 411 is when i dial 411 & make the call. I do not know why you are getting charged.

snug68
I've Been Around

How do you find people who switched from a Bell Customer to Rogers and keeping their own number from Bell?  Myself and my neighbours switched to Rogers but now we are no where to be found.  Not Canada 411 or the white pages?  How can I find ppl like myself?

borderman
I've Been Around

I was dissapointed when I found my number (wireless home phone) was no longer in the phone book. Rogers tells me it is not even possible to get it in there. I would be willing to pay to have it in, so my friends and community can reach me. 

@borderman wrote:

I was dissapointed when I found my number (wireless home phone) was no longer in the phone book. Rogers tells me it is not even possible to get it in there. I would be willing to pay to have it in, so my friends and community can reach me. 

@borderman

Rogers wireless home phone uses the Rogers Cell Phone network and is technically a cell phone number. Cell phone numbers aren't listed in the phone book.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What's a phone book? 😉  Seriously, with many people no longer having landlines and using their cell phones, many people are no longer in the "phone book". I was with Bell up until 7-8 years ago and ported my number to Rogers Home Phone and my number is still under Canada411, but I'm sure many people are no longer "listed" anywhere. You advise the people who wish to contact you via e-mail, text, or whatever. 

This thread is about Rogers Home Phone, which is probably different from Wireless Home Phone.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  True, it is about rogers home phone, not wireless home phone, but until just recently, I didn't even know the latter existed.  I do keep my listing because I can barely remember and keep track of a few numbers of my own, let alone get them all in my phone.  And to let eveyone else know it, everyone who know me knows my phone number has always been listed, and when I learned that the latter wasn't listed, I declined to consider it, even though it was cheaper than the home phone, but not by much though.

Sure I have to live with telemarketers, but I am used to that - I say hello, they say, how are you - yesterday I said, actually down right horrible, since I had been in crisis all day long.  Silence for a moment, I say, who are you and what are you calling about.  Oh, duck cleaning.  Me:  I don't need it, and I wish you all the best in finding a job with more meaning.  Thank you, good bye.

Broke my mood a bit.

As I often say, to each their own.

Bruce

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

@57  True, it is about rogers home phone, not wireless home phone, but until just recently, I didn't even know the latter existed.  I do keep my listing because I can barely remember and keep track of a few numbers of my own, let alone get them all in my phone.  And to let eveyone else know it, everyone who know me knows my phone number has always been listed, and when I learned that the latter wasn't listed, I declined to consider it, even though it was cheaper than the home phone, but not by much though.

Sure I have to live with telemarketers, but I am used to that - I say hello, they say, how are you - yesterday I said, actually down right horrible, since I had been in crisis all day long.  Silence for a moment, I say, who are you and what are you calling about.  Oh, duck cleaning.  Me:  I don't need it, and I wish you all the best in finding a job with more meaning.  Thank you, good bye.

Broke my mood a bit.

As I often say, to each their own.

Bruce

@BS I get the duct cleaning calls 3-4 times a week, it's soo annoying. I've told them numerous times to remove me from their list, but they keep calling. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@gp-se  Unfortunately, there is no getting off the phone lists - they spoof the phone numbers and names, so you can't identify them - it appears real, but if you call back, you usually get out of service numbers.

If you begin to get them repetively, you can report them to the do not call people, and they work with RCMP and other internal forces.  They recently shut down the cruise ship scams (they had got the lists from a company that was legitmate for resort owners and trades, but the company folded and when it folded, they sold off their lists.

Big fines and arrests world wide on that one - problem is that those lists are being sold over and over again - they have the knowledge that you have travelled, the company you were with, places you have been of similiar companies, and other things, like number in your family, your preferred choice of layouts for resort, facilities, the whole works, so you have to be careful about to things.

You know how they start off with a question that requires yes/no answers, so an often used question is things like,

Oh (name, first name, or sometimes, Mr./Mrs), do you and your wife still travel - don't say "yes".  RCMP is reporting that companies are taking that yes, and taking it out of context and inserting into questions that show you committed to go forward with a deal.

Never confirm the first four numbers of the credit card, that tells them the bank, another set of numbers identifies, Mastercard, versus Visa and others - so I see you have a Visa card starting with the first four digits of...  Is that correct - Yes - there is another yes.  And the owner's name is (your name - they already have it), or your wife's name. They are pretty slick.  If they have your address, from the list, just want to confirm personal information - your name is, your wife's name is, you have two children, you live in, you last travelled, etc - all real information, again, avoid saying yes.  Say that you wish to confirm their company - ask for corporate name and check on the Internet - check the phone number - these common numbers are often reported.

Drives me nuts, but I only have one company that handles my trading services, they have security questions that others wouldn't know, they have my current credit car number and holder, they know my account number, and they have a consitent number and they display their name.  So that one never gets me caught.

Others - Microsoft servers are reporting that you have a virus or a trojan that is sending out information to people all over the world, or that your computer has a problem and is reporting error codes to Microsoft.

If your computer is failing, it will send a report to Microsoft, but Microsoft actually does not handle those servers, they are third party, and they compile the issues and error codes anomously and Microsft tests and replicates the errors - they are detailed - no identifying information like authorization, or registration codes, IP is stripped, etc and you can opt out.

I just say, they can't get reports from me, I opt out of reporting errors to microsoft.

You have to watch for companies saying the same that "rogers has detected a trojan on your computer sending out spam".  They do that, but they will warn you, then shut your computer.

They then want to access your computer and need to install a software - don't, don't, don't ever let them do it.

Once they do, they take over the computer, do whatever to it, then offer you a chance to pay a fee to get it working, and by they time they are done, your computer won't be working.

Kind like the old days of snake oil, the door to door, let me check your furnace and water heater, code has changed, we are checking all as a service to make sure you are up to code and want to make sure you are safe.

May not be up to code, but was back then, probabably a good idea to get it looked at, but not by them - use your furnace cleaning company, or maintenance agreements, annual checkups.  When they see black PVC pipes coming from your home, they know it is not code, and at least about 10 years old - you rent your water heater, and it is over 10 years old, and time to replace with a most cost efficient water heater, and our rates our better, and we will pay off and buy out your old agreement.

I had an uncle get scammed on needing new windows on his old house.  It is not knew, just more suffisticated.

Just thought I would add to that whole issue that was mentioned.  Bruce

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just an FYI, MOST Telemarketers who call you, do not get your number from the Phone Book or Whitepages, They have this thing called an Auto Dialer, which is connected to a computer, and it dials ALL possible phone numbers of a certain range.  Yeah they probably also have some kind of internal list they keep but demanding them to remove you from the list almost always NEVER works because these people are almost always OFFSHORE and do not adhere to any Canadian Laws.

Remember, they are already breaking the law in the first place by Calling you even if you are on the DNCL, so why would they honour your request to remove you from their internal do not call list? chances are, by you asking to remove from their list, they will likely call you MORE.

Right now in Canada, there is NO Single effective way to stop this nonsense, regardless if your number is listed or not.  My friend who has had the same Home phone number for 30+ years, and has NEVER had his home number listed in the phone book, gets EVEN MORE Telemarketing calls than I do. 

There is also other ways they get your # and not just from auto dialer, but when you go to the mall and see those Ballots you fill out to win a prize, chances are, someone is collecting your information and using it unlawfully, its very hard to prove but it happens.  Also I noticed a lot of FAKE job postings on Kijiji, WorkOpolis, Craig's list, etc, when you apply, they are not really hiring so they Steal your information who knows what these people do, they can telemarket you, send you junk snail mail, or try to fraud you. So just Be Safe people and think twice.

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

excellent posts guys, for the duct cleaners I usually just say I rent an apparent and then they hang up. I've said remove me from the list, but as you guys mentioned that makes no difference.

These scams are getting out've hand, but there really is nothing we can do about it.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 11 in conversation