When is the Nokia 1020 coming to Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mass_Deduction
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: When is the Nokia 1020 coming to Rogers?

Yep, been with Fido since 1998 and watched the whole process as Rogers purchased them and merged the networks.  And that's all the more illogical given that Rogers and Chatr are Fido's siblings, and that both of them carry Windows Phone, no?

Fido has better plans than Rogers, and Rogers has a better phone selection.  A better phone selection doesn't have to mean bigger device subsidies, though, so it's not like you have to have a poor phone selection to offer better plans.  Coverage is obviously exactly the same either way.  Very frustrating.  I'm reluctant to port out given I've been with them for 15 years (an eternity in the wireless industry), and since Fido has the better plans.

It'll be interesting to see what the 1020 costs outright with Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Mass_Deduction

Rogers can tell Fido & Chatr on what devices they will offer & have. Fido barely has devices that Rogers or any other carrier has. They have low end phones & carry the iPhones, S3 & S4 & a few others. No Windows phone & barely have any new Blackberries.

From what i just read now, the Lumia 1020 is on Telus as well. So that means Rogers & Telus will carry the device. Hoping now that Bell, Fido & Virgin will follow. Sadly it may not happen.
pulkit10
I Plan to Stick Around

With the new 2 year restrictions, I expect it to be on par with the AT&T pricing model ($299). Also, this being Rogers, they'll probably launch it in black only (might even grab a 16 GB version so they can paint "exclusive" all over the front page) and then follow suit with more colors 3-4 for months after (and that'll be after repeatedly telling you that they have no plans to stock any colored variants since black phones are the most popular ones).

It'll be incredibly interesting to see how well their answers stand up when the new iPhone, with multiple color options, comes out. Dying to see the response from Rogers about that one.

Enough with the harshness though...very happy that they decided to grab the Lumia 1020 and give us a completely unaltered update. All credit to them!

RWalrond
I Plan to Stick Around

Has there been a formal annoucement from Rogers about carrying the 1020?

I'm debating trying to get an unlocked AT&T version but I can't help but wonder if this is a 900 situation all over again. In other words I wonder if Nokia is planning on releasing another phone shortly, that may have features that the 1020 does not have. Like 1080p, quad core, etc..

I wonder if I should wait.... hmmmm..

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello RWalrond

Rogers has not formally said anything but Telus has that they will carry the 1020 Lumia. Mobilesyrup got a leak from someone that works at Rogers ( that person is always right) Rogers will start selling it in October. You can see the link on page 3
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Everyone.

Nokia Canada today released a tweet saying this.

" We’re excited to announce that the Lumia 1020 will be coming to Canada available on Rogers, TELUS and Black’s! "

So all in all, yes Rogers will be getting it. At this moment, Nokia nor Rogers has said anything about colors, price or release date. This info should come very soon as Nokia Canada just posted this.

https://twitter.com/nokiacanada/status/373450112594227201/photo/1
RWalrond
I Plan to Stick Around

I saw that. I guess it's better than no news. But we still don't know when.

I'm in the process of getting an unlocked version from AT&T anyways cause I'm fully expecting that Nokia and Rogers will continue with this black only on release day.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello RWalrond

Yea i saw your post on MobileSyrup. The problem is that ATT Only released the Black, White & Yellow colors. Not anything else.

Rogers most likely will follow suit OR just release Black & release Yellow, Blue or White later on. No one knows yet. The past is what is making is think of what is going to happen now or again.
knowledgeman
I've Been Here Awhile

October 2013

knowledgeman
I've Been Here Awhile