When is enough enough?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crzytech1
I'm Here A Lot

Re: When is enough enough?

I signed in just to reply to this post - as I'm having the same or a similar issue and am at my wit's end over it.

I have VIP and TMN. Last week, TMNOD and HBOOD stopped working on one of my boxes, as the week progressed, the problem spread to VIPOD and ROD, and all the other boxes in my house. It was intermittent at first (try multiple times and it may let you start something, try to resume...well, that wouldn't work), then on Friday last week it just stopped working everywhere.

I own all my boxes, and have 4.

2 SA8300HD (only 1 still under warranty)

1 SA4250HD

1 SA3200

I called in Friday night and got the run around (reboot box, etc etc), explained was happening on all of my boxes. They put it through to the network team and said I would get an automated call within 48 hours letting me know my issue was either resolved or if a tech needed to be sent.

Saturday morning I got a call that a tech would need to be sent (don't know how much investigation the network team could have done in less than 1 business hour, but whatever).

Sunday I have a brief period of VIPOD working.

Tech came out Monday - determined my signal strength at the tap is low, but that I should "replace all my boxes, as they are old boxes".

I feel like this is another runaround. In fact, it feels like extortion. I refuse to pay upwards of a thousand dollars (or equiv rental fees) to replace hardware when it is likely not the source of my problem. The chances of 4 boxes all failing at the same time, over the course of a week, are astronomical. To add insult to injury, when the tech wired my SA4250HD directly to the the incoming line (removing my home phone, internet, and the other boxes), lo and behold - ROD started working intermittently (still was getting some errors on resume etc) again. He disconnected it and put it all back the way it was, and it stopped working.

The tech opened a ticket to "boost my signal" at the tap, which I don't see how will happen without fixing the infrastructure itself upstream from me, and will have a followup visit with his supervisor next week. He then repeated that I need new boxes, and should trade in the one on warranty. I get the feeling that I will not be helped if I don't follow through.

I have NO interior wiring changes from Rogers' setup. My Rogers' installed splitters were replaced with a Rogers installed "Equalizer" last year, which I have to leave plugged in. ALL of the wiring in my house was installed new by Rogers when I moved in.  I understand my hardware is "old".  That said, I have run into this story from Rogers twice before and the issue proved to be outside of my house in previous cases.  Replacing my boxes that I have purchased outright just for fun would NOT have solved the problem then.

The whole way through the troubleshooting chain, there was "no report" anywhere of similar On Demand problems.  I'm adding my voice to this thread in hopes that a solution gets documented, and to voice my disatisfaction at the company's "blame the user" combatative customer service.  Also to note - at no time did I get an official ticket number, neither phone call, nor when I asked the tech point blank for one yesterday.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it was one box, and everything was checked and signal ok.. yeah maybe a box replacement..
But in your case, where its ALL boxes? No, its a source, or at min what is feeding the whole house that is the issue.

Replacing all the boxes.. yes while newer... maybe faster.. more features, etc... would have actualy been WORSE.  As the newer boxes are MORE prone to having issues with weaker signal (the are more picky about having a GOOD signal than the olders ones)... would likely run into MORE issues.

When he removed all and put the box directly... makes sense.  All other draw on the line was removed.. so that box was able to get MORE of a signal and work more correctly.

HOPEFULLY they can do something for the issue at the tap.. but may be something more bigger.. in what is feeding that tap, etc.

(ran into that issue myself a few years ago).

Now you say there is an equalizer... its not a BOOSTER?  Suprised that the tech did not try that, may have corrected it enough for the things to work, if the incomming signal was JUST enough.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@crzytech1 wrote:

I own all my boxes, and have 4.

2 SA8300HD (only 1 still under warranty)

1 SA4250HD

1 SA3200

Tech came out Monday - determined my signal strength at the tap is low, but that I should "replace all my boxes, as they are old boxes".

The tech opened a ticket to "boost my signal" at the tap, which I don't see how will happen without fixing the infrastructure itself upstream from me, and will have a followup visit with his supervisor next week. He then repeated that I need new boxes, and should trade in the one on warranty. I get the feeling that I will not be helped if I don't follow through.

I have NO interior wiring changes from Rogers' setup. My Rogers' installed splitters were replaced with a Rogers installed "Equalizer" last year, which I have to leave plugged in. ALL of the wiring in my house was installed new by Rogers when I moved in.  I understand my hardware is "old".  That said, I have run into this story from Rogers twice before and the issue proved to be outside of my house in previous cases.  Replacing my boxes that I have purchased outright just for fun would NOT have solved the problem then.

The whole way through the troubleshooting chain, there was "no report" anywhere of similar On Demand problems.  I'm adding my voice to this thread in hopes that a solution gets documented, and to voice my disatisfaction at the company's "blame the user" combatative customer service.  Also to note - at no time did I get an official ticket number, neither phone call, nor when I asked the tech point blank for one yesterday.

That is completely assenine! The Nextboxes need a stronger signal, so just replacing good old reliable boxes with new ones, that still have bugs, is bad advice. I wonder if the tech gets commission on new equipment? As for a booster, yes, that's a kludge to cover up inadequate infrastructure. The signal coming into the house needs to be fixed. A booster may be necessary if there are a high number of splitters and outlets, but that's all. A booster amplifies both the signal and noise. Not sure whether that's critical for digital, but it is for analog.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
crzytech1
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks folks for more or less confirming what I've been thinking since yesterday.

This - I think - is the same tech that balked at the 4250HD last summer.  I don't THINK they would get commision on equipment sold, but the way it was said to me, it almost seemed like it.  I really have no qualms about the new Nextbox menu per se, I have qualms with re-spending a pile of cash while stuff is still working.

As to the equalizer/booster in the basement.  I was 99% sure when it was installed, it was explained to me as a booster.  When I said that this isn't the first time I've had likely signal/bi-directional communication problems yesterday, the tech said it was NOT a booster, and a equalizer.

When the tech suggested I switch out all the hardware - I did ask him if he realized how ridiculous that sounded, and that if it was going to be necessary to switch out all my receivers, I'd likely just move to Fibe.  He said that I didn't have to purchase the hardware outright, and I told him I had played the rental game, to the tune of 60 dollars a month at the time, and wasn't really interested in going back onto that.  (I'm not sure if PVRs are still 25 and HD receivers 13, but that adds up quick).

As for number of drops - I have 4 TVs, 1 internet, and 1 home phone.  Alot, but not that out of the ordinary I would think.

If I get ANY resolution to this, I'll followup in this thread.  Regardless as to what happens, customer service is going to get a strongly worded letter or email about this.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

An equalizer, from my understanding.. sort of levels the signal.. can remove some noise, etc from it, etc.

VS a boster.. takes a specific level and just repeats it.. but as Jimboden said, it can repeat anything bad as well.

A boster, usually has some form of power input to it... vs i dont think an equalizer does.

crzytech1
I'm Here A Lot

Then it's likely a booster as I originally thought, as it is certainly powered.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I am STILL battling on demands. I am too mad to call rogers. I thought there was a pattern - I could not "tune into" on demand during the day until midnight. (for 4 nights) however tonight I have not been able to watch since this morning and it is past midnight!

Does anyone know what is going on?

(I have not called a manager yet.)

BTW, some years ago, I did have a booster for the sound(?) - it was very helpful for all aspects. Rogers removed it because they said that "Rogers did not want customers to have them."

Any advice or any hope?

Thanks!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Putting your own booster in is not necessarily a good idea as it may not operate/boost all the correct frequencies, etc.

But Rogers does install them themselves where needed. (I have a Rogers installed one)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Adequate performance of your internet/tv/phone is all about signal levels, where they are and where they should be. Just for the heck of it, can you have a look at my previous posting of the signal levels for my CGN3 modem/router. If you look at that table you can see the Signal Strength on the downstream side sitting around an average of 1.285 dBmV and on the upstream side they average 38 dBmV. Ideally the receive side should all be at 0, but typically the levels will float up and down slightly. The receive side is fine at that point as well. The receive side should be within -10 to +10 dBmV and +35 to +51 on the transmit side. If you have Rogers internet, can you log into your modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page and copy and paste the downstream and upstream levels into this thread?   Don’t copy the IP address and other data above the downstream table, just the tables themselves. Do the cable boxes have a similar diagnostic page that details the signal levels. If so can you type in the receive/transmit power levels and signal to noise ratios in as well? That info should be a good starting point to figure this out.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just curious about boosters. I'm authorized for 6 outlets, so naturally there would be quire a drop in signal at some of those outlets. Would Rogers be responsible for boosting those? Right now I have my own 15db booster in there, but it's not in a branch feeding the 2 PVRs ot the DTA.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario