cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is enough enough?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I have been a rogers's customer for YEARS. Over the last few years there have been more and more technical issues. I have "VIP" including TMN and what it includes (in other words pay for the noise) Luckily no home phone but have “high” speed internet…

The internet is no gift either.

Recently I could not save movies. After a week of being told it was only me, they finally admitted is was a known issue. Today is the 7th day I have not been able to access TMNOD and MEOD for several hours. Last night it stopped saving movies. Tonight no access again - Perhaps this is permanent. After 45 minutes on the phone I am told again it is my problem (even though the box downstairs is also unable to access.)

Same thing different day.

This is just the last month.

Any advice?

Signed Hopeless...

***Edited labels***

55 REPLIES 55

Re: When is enough enough?

If it was one box, and everything was checked and signal ok.. yeah maybe a box replacement..
But in your case, where its ALL boxes? No, its a source, or at min what is feeding the whole house that is the issue.

Replacing all the boxes.. yes while newer... maybe faster.. more features, etc... would have actualy been WORSE.  As the newer boxes are MORE prone to having issues with weaker signal (the are more picky about having a GOOD signal than the olders ones)... would likely run into MORE issues.

When he removed all and put the box directly... makes sense.  All other draw on the line was removed.. so that box was able to get MORE of a signal and work more correctly.

HOPEFULLY they can do something for the issue at the tap.. but may be something more bigger.. in what is feeding that tap, etc.

(ran into that issue myself a few years ago).

Now you say there is an equalizer... its not a BOOSTER?  Suprised that the tech did not try that, may have corrected it enough for the things to work, if the incomming signal was JUST enough.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@crzytech1 wrote:

I own all my boxes, and have 4.

2 SA8300HD (only 1 still under warranty)

1 SA4250HD

1 SA3200

Tech came out Monday - determined my signal strength at the tap is low, but that I should "replace all my boxes, as they are old boxes".

The tech opened a ticket to "boost my signal" at the tap, which I don't see how will happen without fixing the infrastructure itself upstream from me, and will have a followup visit with his supervisor next week. He then repeated that I need new boxes, and should trade in the one on warranty. I get the feeling that I will not be helped if I don't follow through.

I have NO interior wiring changes from Rogers' setup. My Rogers' installed splitters were replaced with a Rogers installed "Equalizer" last year, which I have to leave plugged in. ALL of the wiring in my house was installed new by Rogers when I moved in.  I understand my hardware is "old".  That said, I have run into this story from Rogers twice before and the issue proved to be outside of my house in previous cases.  Replacing my boxes that I have purchased outright just for fun would NOT have solved the problem then.

The whole way through the troubleshooting chain, there was "no report" anywhere of similar On Demand problems.  I'm adding my voice to this thread in hopes that a solution gets documented, and to voice my disatisfaction at the company's "blame the user" combatative customer service.  Also to note - at no time did I get an official ticket number, neither phone call, nor when I asked the tech point blank for one yesterday.

That is completely assenine! The Nextboxes need a stronger signal, so just replacing good old reliable boxes with new ones, that still have bugs, is bad advice. I wonder if the tech gets commission on new equipment? As for a booster, yes, that's a kludge to cover up inadequate infrastructure. The signal coming into the house needs to be fixed. A booster may be necessary if there are a high number of splitters and outlets, but that's all. A booster amplifies both the signal and noise. Not sure whether that's critical for digital, but it is for analog.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Thanks folks for more or less confirming what I've been thinking since yesterday.

This - I think - is the same tech that balked at the 4250HD last summer.  I don't THINK they would get commision on equipment sold, but the way it was said to me, it almost seemed like it.  I really have no qualms about the new Nextbox menu per se, I have qualms with re-spending a pile of cash while stuff is still working.

As to the equalizer/booster in the basement.  I was 99% sure when it was installed, it was explained to me as a booster.  When I said that this isn't the first time I've had likely signal/bi-directional communication problems yesterday, the tech said it was NOT a booster, and a equalizer.

When the tech suggested I switch out all the hardware - I did ask him if he realized how ridiculous that sounded, and that if it was going to be necessary to switch out all my receivers, I'd likely just move to Fibe.  He said that I didn't have to purchase the hardware outright, and I told him I had played the rental game, to the tune of 60 dollars a month at the time, and wasn't really interested in going back onto that.  (I'm not sure if PVRs are still 25 and HD receivers 13, but that adds up quick).

As for number of drops - I have 4 TVs, 1 internet, and 1 home phone.  Alot, but not that out of the ordinary I would think.

If I get ANY resolution to this, I'll followup in this thread.  Regardless as to what happens, customer service is going to get a strongly worded letter or email about this.

An equalizer, from my understanding.. sort of levels the signal.. can remove some noise, etc from it, etc.

VS a boster.. takes a specific level and just repeats it.. but as Jimboden said, it can repeat anything bad as well.

A boster, usually has some form of power input to it... vs i dont think an equalizer does.

Then it's likely a booster as I originally thought, as it is certainly powered.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I am STILL battling on demands. I am too mad to call rogers. I thought there was a pattern - I could not "tune into" on demand during the day until midnight. (for 4 nights) however tonight I have not been able to watch since this morning and it is past midnight!

Does anyone know what is going on?

(I have not called a manager yet.)

BTW, some years ago, I did have a booster for the sound(?) - it was very helpful for all aspects. Rogers removed it because they said that "Rogers did not want customers to have them."

Any advice or any hope?

Thanks!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Putting your own booster in is not necessarily a good idea as it may not operate/boost all the correct frequencies, etc.

But Rogers does install them themselves where needed. (I have a Rogers installed one)

Adequate performance of your internet/tv/phone is all about signal levels, where they are and where they should be. Just for the heck of it, can you have a look at my previous posting of the signal levels for my CGN3 modem/router. If you look at that table you can see the Signal Strength on the downstream side sitting around an average of 1.285 dBmV and on the upstream side they average 38 dBmV. Ideally the receive side should all be at 0, but typically the levels will float up and down slightly. The receive side is fine at that point as well. The receive side should be within -10 to +10 dBmV and +35 to +51 on the transmit side. If you have Rogers internet, can you log into your modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page and copy and paste the downstream and upstream levels into this thread?   Don’t copy the IP address and other data above the downstream table, just the tables themselves. Do the cable boxes have a similar diagnostic page that details the signal levels. If so can you type in the receive/transmit power levels and signal to noise ratios in as well? That info should be a good starting point to figure this out.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just curious about boosters. I'm authorized for 6 outlets, so naturally there would be quire a drop in signal at some of those outlets. Would Rogers be responsible for boosting those? Right now I have my own 15db booster in there, but it's not in a branch feeding the 2 PVRs ot the DTA.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi and thank you!

I did not instal the booster: A Rogers Technician installed it.

Another rogers technician came for another problem and removed the booster saying "Rogers did not want customers to have them."

I called AGAIN last night and again "the signal is very good". (?"Both directions"?)

Refused to send out a technician and will "escalate it".

How many escalations does it take?

The demands started to work at 1:00 AM (SHARP)

It is like my rogers email. It only works at certain times ...

Smiley Frustrated

Thanks

YtanyaY:

Any person on the phone who says your signal is good can only see the signal where the cable enters the home. If there are splitters, whatever they see is irrelevant. Only a tech can see the real signal with the equipment they use.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor
Hi,
How do I log into my Rogers modem?
(I have a D-LINK router too)

How do I access the data diagnostic page(s) on the digital box?
I don't have any way to type on the digital box. It is a 3200.
Thank you!

?? Not trying to be disagreeable here, but technically speaking, unless there is a modem parked right where the cable enters the home, or perhaps some other remote sensing device, you can’t see the signal level where the cable enters the home. Aside from the metering equipment that the tech brings with him, or her, which allows signal measurement throughout the house on any connector, the only other method is to look at the signal levels as measured by the modem itself which is taken at the input to the modem. We have to assume that those levels are reasonably accurate and that they would/should resemble the levels as measured by a tech. As for splitters, they are all part of the equation of calculated signal losses from the node to the modem and they are relevant due to the power drops they impose on the final signal power levels at the modem. You could have several splitters between the cable entrance and the modem, but, at the end of the day, as long as the signal power at the modem is within its designed operating range, the modem will function as expected and it won’t care about how many splitters may be in place. While it might not be perfect, the signal power levels at the modem are a reasonable indicator of the condition of the external cable and the signals that it carries.

Do you have a Rogers internet modem?  If so, can you indicate which model?  To log into the modem, bring up a web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar.  That should bring you to the log in page.  The default login name is   cusadmin.  The default password is the word password.  If you have not changed the default password, you should do so right away.  Use a phrase that means something to you that is easy to remember and throw in Capital letters and numbers in some fashion.  The same applies to the name for the wireless ssid and passphrase.  If you are using wireless and have not changed the ssid and passphrase, you are leaving your network open for someone else to login and use your monthly bandwidth allocation and more, which could cost a considerable amount of money. 

Once you have logged in, you should be able to find a DOCSIS WAN page that details the receive channels and the power levels.  You should be able to copy and paste the tables in here.  If the cable modem does have a diagnostic page with power levels on it, you would need to write them down on paper, and then just type them into a post here.  All that is needed is the channel number, power level and possibly signal to noise ratios.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

The modem is directly next to the wall where the cable enters the upstairs of the house.

(There is another dig box downstairs and I do not know if it shares the upstairs cable or comes into house downstairs.)

(It is also "unable to access on demands) "same error: "on demand service unavailable ..." "cannot tune into your dig box ..." (Not direct quotes)

How do I log into the rogers modem model number: "Surfboard SB5120"?

Maybe:?

"Coaxial cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -- SIGNAL LEAKAGE"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable#Signal_leakage

Thanks

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi and thanks,

I have something installed by a Roger's technician (for the last time on demands were off (and occasionally on):

It is on a metal base. The main cable from the wall (Coaxial or rf?) connects to this on 1 side. It has the bare screws (similar to the coax connector on the back of the tv). On the opposite side are 3 cables:

1 goes to the modem (coax(?) beige

A black one goes to the power bar

the 3rd (beige) goes to the cable for the dig box.

(If I shut off the power, the TV and internet shut off.)

It did help a bit but not for long (Perhaps it is some sort of booster(?))

How do I log into the rogers modem?

Interesting, a Surfboard SB5120.  I think I had one of those at one point in time. You can't log in as it's a pure modem which has a cable interface input and ethernet output.  Tech support can probably have a look at the device from their end, but you will not have any way to do the same.  The newer Rogers modems are combination modem / wireless device, which allow you to log into the device to change settings as required and look at basic modem data. 

Ok, it looks like you have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3200 Digital Home Communications Terminal.  I suspect that you have to navigate to the settings page and possibly to a sub-page from there to see the Digital Video Status, or some term that resembles that.  Not sure if Rogers has named it anything else or put them in a different location.  If you look at the link below and it's images, you should be able to see what the pages on your 3200 should resemble.  I say should as there is nothing on this page to indicate which models of receiver follows this particular series of pages.  In this particular case, the received power level is sitting at 9 dBmV, which is high but the receiver appears to be content at that level.  If you look at page 5 you can see the power level, the signal to noise ratio just below, and just above the power level, the Locked / Unlocked indicator which indicates whether the receiver is "Locked" onto a frequency with valid QPSK data, or "Unlocked" if not.  If you went to a demand channel, and then brought up that screen, it should tell you whether the receiver is locked or unlocked on that particular channel.  The one thing to remember is that cable losses are not consistent across all channels, and that the losses go up as the frequency (channel) goes up.  So, while some channels might still be within spec, its possible that higher frequency losses might cause higher frequencies / channels to remain unlocked and therefore unuseable.  You could do an informal survey of some of the channels that you watch and determine what the power levels, signal to noise ratios and locked / unlocked status is.  That might give you enough evidence to get a tech out to your home to rectify the situation.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/sciatl/3.1_Using_diagnostic_screens

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12397

Datalink:

You raise an interesting point. I posted that based on my recent experience. The rep on the phone said my signal level was fine, so obviously he saw something. When the tech came out, I asked him about that and he said the rep can see the signal reading coming into the home. In my situation, the cable enters the home and immediatly goes to 2 splitters then, from there, they go off to different outlets. That, plus there are 2 different subscribers with their own separate cable and internet packages.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi and thank you for the information.

I will follow it ...

Quick question though: This (inability to get on demands) has gone on for 2 weeks tomorrow:

The on demands start to work at MIDNIGHT SHARP but last night at 1:00 am exactly.

(It is not at 11:45 etc. it seems to be right on the hour).

If I cannot access them at 12:00 AM, I will not be able to get them until possibly 1:00 AM on the hour.

It does not matter whether the computers are on or off; whether the box downstairs is on or off, etc.

What is rogers doing?

Thanks again for the information, I'll figure out how to read the dig box screens.

I know if its a infrastructure issue... sometimes things can be effected by overall load in the area.

EG: when there is a HIGH load, say like durring the evening hours.. there may be enough stress that something happens.. which isnt there durring the lower loads.

But this shouldnt be happening in the time frames that your describing.

crzytech1
I'm Here A Lot

I thought I'd post to followup with what happened with my identical issue.

It's been 5 days since the second tech (this time with a bucket truck) came out, and it's been working every night since - so I'm hoping I'm in the clear (touch wood).

The actual Rogers tech (second one, first one was a subcontractor with a van) came in and checked my signal strengths.  They were "OK", but not perfect on the upstream side.  He then checked it entering the house, looked at the pole, and said it was too low for how close I was to the nearest junction.

Spent the better part of the day replacing infrastructure side stuff, and connected me differently in the roadside box (he followed up to let me know what was going on, and to ask that I test again in the evening and call him back to let him know).  The roadside box was apparently fibre from there back to the head end.  (Richmond Rd here in Ottawa).

Problem solved.  Called the tech back the next day and let him know - he did not seem surprised.

So in my case, it WAS an infrastructure issue.  I had to fight tooth and nail to get Rogers to do anything (though not with the number of calls that you've been having OP, I had two tech support calls, and 1 tech that told me to replace all my gear).  Getting the first tech out wasn't a huge issue on the second call - simply told them that my ROD services were not working, the error that was on the screens, was on all boxes, and my SDV channels were OK.  I did also politely mention that if On Demand didn't work, there would be no reason for me to continue to pay for HBO and TMN.  They reset my box and went through all that stuff, but when it STILL wasn't working, they booked a tech.  Getting the second tech to come out was the hard part.

It really seems like a crapshoot on the quality of tech support/problem solving you'll get with the techs.  The first one that came out infuriated me to no end.  To suggest that a problem that is house-wide on 4 receivers is the fault of the "old" receivers was unbelievable.  The second tech was amazing - came in (he wasn't even supposed to call me at all, but he came by the house and rang the door - excellent customer service!), checked on everything - no comment on the equipment I was using, troubleshot the problem, and fixed me up.

So OP and others with these problems - I wish you luck, you will likely have to fight.  You may need to look at signal strengths on your receiver(s) to see what is going on.  The diagnostic screens are your friends, if you understand them, you will most likely have more knowledge of what is going on than phone support.  In my experience, those on phone support are not terribly technical - and unfortunately, to get past the lines of Rogers' support to the people that can ACTUALLY help takes time and patience.