cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is enough enough?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I have been a rogers's customer for YEARS. Over the last few years there have been more and more technical issues. I have "VIP" including TMN and what it includes (in other words pay for the noise) Luckily no home phone but have “high” speed internet…

The internet is no gift either.

Recently I could not save movies. After a week of being told it was only me, they finally admitted is was a known issue. Today is the 7th day I have not been able to access TMNOD and MEOD for several hours. Last night it stopped saving movies. Tonight no access again - Perhaps this is permanent. After 45 minutes on the phone I am told again it is my problem (even though the box downstairs is also unable to access.)

Same thing different day.

This is just the last month.

Any advice?

Signed Hopeless...

***Edited labels***

55 REPLIES 55

Re: When is enough enough?

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Just checked and I too am unable to access any On Demand channels and the search function doesn't work either. For now I will assume that they are just updating theses features and check again tomorrow.

Mineau
I Plan to Stick Around

There are a lot of outages I find. But Bell Aliant is not much  better either, especially with prices. Shaw is highly priced and very particular with what you should have, and where you have it in the country.

Flaws, glitches, flaws and more glitches. The only good thing about Rogers compared to others is they are not as expensive depending on what you get..

Depending on your area, I would suggest speaking to a Rogers manager, not just a rep. Before doing that, do some research on other providers and reviews on their services, and the manager can either send off a technical request and provide you with a discount, or they can cancel your service with a "I'm sorry you feel that way".

I've been there. 😞

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hello and thank you for replying!

I am NOT happy about your situation, but I feel better.

I have learned something:

After having stared at the on demand screens (for it seems like years), there is a quick way to tell whether they will load successfully or not.

Initially, there is the Bright red screen stating "loading please wait". Then it reloads the screen:

If the top part of the reloaded screen has black clouds / dark haze on it, it will be successful; if it stays red, it will not.

Thanks again!

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Everything is working OK for me today. I guess they were just updating or something.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi Mineau,

Thanks for the information.

When Bell introduced "FIBE" they had a lot of specials; but now (I think) Bell is more than Rogers.

I didn't know Shaw was available in Toronto.

I'll call a manager later.

For now, the on demands are working.

Hi jays77

The on demands are working here too - it was usually later at night though.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@YtanyaY wrote:

I didn't know Shaw was available in Toronto.

Rogers Cable and Shaw Cable are not available in the same area, but Shaw Satellite could be.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you, OLDYELLR!

Update - Again the on demands were not available last night - It was intermittent.

How does one know if Rogers is updating?

Is there anywhere online that has this info?

Thanks

I'm in Toronto East York and just tried channel 309. It seemed to load a lot slower than normal, but I'm able to get everything on that channel (TMN and HBO Canada).

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi

Thanks for the information.

Both boxes in the house are unable to tune in to on Demand all day.

I just spend FORTY minutes on the phone with Rogers:

Technician # 1 diagnosed both boxes were defective.

I asked for a manager but was given a "head supervisor" who diagnosed the problem was on Rogers end.

He REFUSED to let me speak to a manager. I asked him MULTIPLE times. His answer: "It's not going to happen".

What do I do?

Thanks

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

If the supervisor identified it as a Rogers issue, what did you want the Manager to do?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

1. A small refund (I'm not getting what I am paying for)

2. I would also really like to emphasize that (as EVERYONE else is) I am SUPER busy and don't have time for 45 minute conversations resulting in varous different diagnoses but 99% of the time stating the problem is on my end.

BTW, if I called right now, it's likely I'd get another technician who ends telling me the problem is on my end again. (I have gone through this before).

Thank you

Not to say its YOUR fault.. but 3/4 of the time the issue IS on the users side.

Thats not to say, its the users FAULT.

Often things like what your experiencing.. with ROD.. is usually signal/communication issue.  You can have a decent signal even still.. but if there are issues with 2 way communications back to rogers.. the RoD usually will not work properly, etc.

This can be anything from outside.. to a failing spitter, etc

All that being said.. unless a user has put their own splitters, etc in the way, etc.. it is still rogers responsibility to fix it.

I would push for them to send a tech out, to check EVERYTHING.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

We have 2 digital boxes. The one downstairs has been SLOW from installation; they have replaced boxes etc. No help.

(The slow one is a 4000 series; The other one is 3200 and is quicker.)

Both boxes are not able to access the on demands.

Can I test the communication with another channel?

I can access the program guide and set a VCR reminder.

Or are these different frequencies?

I'll arrange to have a technician come - Where should they focus if BOTH boxes canNOT access the on Demands?

(I ask b/c sometimes the technicians have not been very good)

Thank you

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hopefully you get a good one.

They should start at the source and work their way in.
Street, outside the house, just inside, splitters, etc then work the way to the outlets.

The new guide can be slow in general, especially on the 8642, and somewhat on the 4642. It's just the hardware isn't powerful enough to run the the software. The new 9865 doesn't have the same issue.

Mineau
I Plan to Stick Around

You're welcome. With FibrOp, they are quite expensive, but their normal services are not as bad. What they do for FibrOp is rewire your home to be "FibrOp" ready, resulting in having to change all of the wiring if you ever want to go to another provider, which would be costly.. One of those "been there, done that" experiences, really.

Good luck with further research! Hopefully you find what suits you.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi Gdkitty,

Thank you for the reply.

I called Rogers again last night. The usual reboot -> no success.

I asked for a technician to come here and they REFUSED saying they'll escalate this to the engineers(?) because the problem can be fixed at their end. (They’ve escalated this 4 times so far in the past 3 days)

"They should start at the source and work their way in.
Street, outside the house, just inside, splitters, etc then work the way to the outlets."

Is there a diagram online of the cable from Rogers to the digital box?

Similar happened to me a few years ago where the on demands were intermittently unavailable (It went on for weeks.) Finally Rogers admitted it was a known issue.

The supervisorS REFUSED to give me the code required to make a formal complaint!

"The new guide can be slow in general, especially on the 8642, and somewhat on the 4642. It's just the hardware isn't powerful enough to run the software. The new 9865 doesn't have the same issue."

The 4600 box downstairs is EXTREMELY SLOW for the on demands.

The program guide is slow but not as slow as the on demands.

The 3200 upstairs is CAPABLE of getting on demands quickly (when they are "available")

Current Situation: I cannot access any on demand. They’re either having issues "tuning to the box" or "the on demand services are unavailable". (Error messages are too quick - they flash for a second and then they're gone).

(I was able to access on demands after midnight last night)

(Like brownouts!)

So now what?

PLEASE advise!

Thank you again!

P.S. I found a Web site that shows outages for anywhere in Canada and for different companies. I don't know if it is okay to post it here?

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks Mineau,

I did try to get FIBE a couple of years ago but Bell couldn't find THEIR Network Interface Device nor the origin of the phone line (it splits).

If it is a back end issue.. its only effecting certain areas, etc.  I have watched something yesterday and today from on demand, with zero issues at all.

I would just press for them to send someone out... ask for a manager, try and escalate it.

Really, there is no SPECIFIC diagram, as there are different setups, all depending on the persons house, layout, etc.

Generally, it should be as follows:

- Box on the street to the house... either burried line, or hung, etc based on where you are.

- To a box on the outside of the house, this is usally near where the elec meter is.  inside this box, as min should be a connector, which is GROUNDED, usually connects out of it, a wire up to a ground on the electrical box

- Then usually a line into the house

- From there, a splitter.  Here is where there is ALOT of variation.. and can sometimes cause issues with bad setups.

Usually its split at min, one for TV, then another off for phone/internet.

EG: Mine for example, when it comes in, is a splitter.  One line off of that, over to another splitter for internet/phone.  Other side over to a MOCA filter (for the whole home PVR setup).  There is then a in line boster (as two of my rooms cant get enough signal due to poor internal lines) which has outlets for the 3 lines to where my 3 boxes are.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks again!

"If it is a back end issue.. its only effecting certain areas, etc.  I have watched something yesterday and today from on demand, with zero issues at all.

I would just press for them to send someone out... ask for a manager, try and escalate it."

It is no longer a back end issue - they keep changing their minds.

They refuse to send a technician

They resused to let me speak to a manager (last night) - but tonight I was connected to a supervisor who said to call in AM.

Tonight they refused to escalate it.

I personally do not know how it is possible NOT to be able to figure out if problem is closer to customer or closer to them. It is a human built item and only so many things can go wrong.

I did have a booster some years ago.

Anyway thank you for the help!

I signed in just to reply to this post - as I'm having the same or a similar issue and am at my wit's end over it.

I have VIP and TMN. Last week, TMNOD and HBOOD stopped working on one of my boxes, as the week progressed, the problem spread to VIPOD and ROD, and all the other boxes in my house. It was intermittent at first (try multiple times and it may let you start something, try to resume...well, that wouldn't work), then on Friday last week it just stopped working everywhere.

I own all my boxes, and have 4.

2 SA8300HD (only 1 still under warranty)

1 SA4250HD

1 SA3200

I called in Friday night and got the run around (reboot box, etc etc), explained was happening on all of my boxes. They put it through to the network team and said I would get an automated call within 48 hours letting me know my issue was either resolved or if a tech needed to be sent.

Saturday morning I got a call that a tech would need to be sent (don't know how much investigation the network team could have done in less than 1 business hour, but whatever).

Sunday I have a brief period of VIPOD working.

Tech came out Monday - determined my signal strength at the tap is low, but that I should "replace all my boxes, as they are old boxes".

I feel like this is another runaround. In fact, it feels like extortion. I refuse to pay upwards of a thousand dollars (or equiv rental fees) to replace hardware when it is likely not the source of my problem. The chances of 4 boxes all failing at the same time, over the course of a week, are astronomical. To add insult to injury, when the tech wired my SA4250HD directly to the the incoming line (removing my home phone, internet, and the other boxes), lo and behold - ROD started working intermittently (still was getting some errors on resume etc) again. He disconnected it and put it all back the way it was, and it stopped working.

The tech opened a ticket to "boost my signal" at the tap, which I don't see how will happen without fixing the infrastructure itself upstream from me, and will have a followup visit with his supervisor next week. He then repeated that I need new boxes, and should trade in the one on warranty. I get the feeling that I will not be helped if I don't follow through.

I have NO interior wiring changes from Rogers' setup. My Rogers' installed splitters were replaced with a Rogers installed "Equalizer" last year, which I have to leave plugged in. ALL of the wiring in my house was installed new by Rogers when I moved in.  I understand my hardware is "old".  That said, I have run into this story from Rogers twice before and the issue proved to be outside of my house in previous cases.  Replacing my boxes that I have purchased outright just for fun would NOT have solved the problem then.

The whole way through the troubleshooting chain, there was "no report" anywhere of similar On Demand problems.  I'm adding my voice to this thread in hopes that a solution gets documented, and to voice my disatisfaction at the company's "blame the user" combatative customer service.  Also to note - at no time did I get an official ticket number, neither phone call, nor when I asked the tech point blank for one yesterday.