When Enough is Enough!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: When Enough is Enough!!!

@Jblaze wrote:

So I'm then told it takes 30 days to cancel the service because of the vast infastructure they have. I asked what he meant by that because to deactivate my service the guy just goes outside to the cable box and unscrews the connection. I know this because to "activate" my service I was out back with him and watched him screw in the cable.

I wont argue on the right or wrong of the 30 days part.  

But just so you know, its pretty much industry standard.  You will get this with bell, and other providers.. on both cable, internet, and cellular services.

So its just not rogers doing it. 

@jfr wrote:

Similar to jblaze above, I think I've been with Rogers forever.  I have been quite loyal and dealt with the hardware issues, the network issues and have given them the botd every time but it's getting very hard to continue.  I understand the complexities of infrastructure and that's why I've stayed this long.

However, they get roughly 200 of my dollars a month for cable and internet and rentals, and thats a consiberable amount in the big picture.  Works out to 2 1/2 grand or so year.  Yet they persist to call and want more and refuse tl stop despite repeated requests to not call.  Im big and old and ugly enough to know what I want and will check and ask when I need something changed or different.

But ffs...just stop calling me.

you have gone in and changed your settings in your myrogers account to remove them contacting you about stuff? (its really odd settings in there too... read the print there.. i beleive its you have to have them CHECKED to opt out of them).

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GDkitty

As you know, many others have tried this & it does not work as its supposed too. I have checked it off & yet i get called & emailed about everything with Rogers. I wonder if they actually do have a fix for this or its just there for nothing. Note i have seen posts on here about this as well where people complained about it as well.
Jblaze
I've Been Here Awhile

Well let me finish my story. After finally cancelling my cable due to a couple of reasons.

I have found alternatives and not Bell or Shaw. These are web based services who don't take 30 days to cancel things.

Also I can tell you what the straw was that broke the camel's back for me.

I had the TMN package and was recieveing that useless Entertainment Magazine that you get charged $2.00 for.

I opted out of recieveing it on the website through my profile.

When I signed up for the 25% discount plan I started getting it again. When my cable bill came it was cheap enough ($75) that I just paid the bill via interenet banking. I assumed that they started sending me the magaizine free as part of the deal. I never used it, threw it out all the time.

At the end of my year long 25% discount I went back and broke down my bills for the year to calculate what I was spending a year and saw that I was charged the $2.00 for the magazine all this time. I called Rogers and said that I had opted out of that and simply wanted my money back.

Now keep in mind I have now spent over $1000 for the year in cable and all I'm asking for is in total $20 back.

The rogers rep admits to me that they made a mistake. He can see I opted out of recieving the magaizine but their system made a mistake. He refuse to give me back the $20 says that I didn't call in soon enough. He could refund me for 3 months because that is their max.

I said that wasn't good enough, you either refund it all or I take my business elsewhere.

They decided that refunding me $20 wasn't worth my business. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello GDkitty

As you know, many others have tried this & it does not work as its supposed too. I have checked it off & yet i get called & emailed about everything with Rogers. I wonder if they actually do have a fix for this or its just there for nothing. Note i have seen posts on here about this as well where people complained about it as well.

When i first went into it, thoght i had my set up ok... then when i went into double check something once, notices the wording for it.  Most often you will UNCKECK things that you dont want... this site is sort of backwards... i am wondering if they potentialy have the settings backwards?   Not saying this is the case for all, but may be in some cases and that everyone should check.

Since 'fixing' mine, i have only received 1.  So for me it seems to work (mostly).  All i am saying, is to double check your settings.  One cant complain they are getting the mailings, IF their settings are set to get them.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jblaze:

I do understand.. and its not alot of money to them.. they should refund it, i agree.

But no matter WHAT provider you are on... ALWAYS check your bill, every month, line by line.  Should a person have to? No.
But i have seen it with at least 3 (telus, bell and rogers), always check bill every time, just to make sure everything is there, everything is right... that changes were applied correctly, etc.  I check mine monthly, even to make sure, ok, 10 mins of LD, when were those done? Oh this date, right, i was traveling here at that time, etc.

I actualy had the SAME thing as you.. after a plan switch, BOOM the magazine was back on.  Gave them a call the day the magazine came in, to make sure it was off again.

chadrock
I'm Here A Lot

Same sort of situation for me.  They gave me a free HD PVR on a two year contract when I moved to my new home as a bonus for switching my television over from another (smaller and much better) provider.  It was all done over the phone, and the guy who came to install the service had me sign the contract as well as the installation stuff.  Up to this point, everything was great and I was very happy with everything.  I should also say overall I'm pretty happy with my services (when everything is working properly) and the price I pay.  My problems started when I realized they weren't honouring their end of the deal, and never intended to.

My first bill came and I wasn't getting the 15% VIP discount I was promised.  I called in and one rep after another said "no that's not right, we will fix that" before it finally got escalated to someone who explained that because they gave me the free PVR I was not eligible for the discount.  When I made the switch the sales rep told me I would be getting the discount as well as the PVR.  He went as far as to tell me exactly what I'd be paying a month, including the discount.  I went over that contract hundreds of times and there is NOTHING in there that says I'm not eligible for any other discounts or promotions as a result of recieving the free equipment.  I asked them to send me a copy of anything at all that I signed agreeing to a free PVR in exchange for the loss of my discount.  They couldn't.

A few months later they raised their prices.  I thought that was pretty interesting, considering there's a clause that actually IS in my contract (and everyone else's, by the way) that says I can opt out of my contract if they choose to change any of the terms.  When I called in to point it out, they argued for hours with me that my contract was only for a free HD PVR.  Since they didn't CHANGE that I would not be allowed out of my commitment.  Now I can understand when a rep is dealing with a difficult customer it might be hard to be resepectful, and I certainly feel for CSRs who have to deal with that every day.  I never raised my voice and remained calm for the entire call.  I was polite and asked every rep how they were doing before asking my questions (eventually for the tenth or eleventh time).  All I wanted was a person who could explain to me how the price increase could be possible.  EVERY rep I talked to was rude to me and treated me very poorly.  One suggested that I "go back to school and take a contract law class".  I don't need a class to know that when you enter into a written agreement there are two sides:  the service received, and the price you pay for those agreed upon services.  Change the price?  Change the contract.  Fail to disclose any portion of the contract?  Breach the contract.

What do you do?  Hire a lawyer to fight with them?  They know you won't.  Pay the absurd cancellation fee?  Probably not worth it.  I'm a pretty easy going guy, and I'm not normally the type to complain about any services I receive, but Rogers is breaking the law and getting away with it for some reason, and I wish someone could do something about it.  Five months left on my contract and I'm gone, never to return.  I can only hope I can find a smaller company that actually values their customers and treats them with some respect.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have looked into these things a bit and will at least explain my findings. Unfortunately they are not in our favor.

The contracts we sign, are often that we are locked in that we have to pay for x years in return for a special rate or item, but the contract usually doesn't usually say how much (if it did, we couldn't go to a lower plan then either). Just that we will pay for the x years.

The terms of service document, which we have to agree to to use the service (if we don't we technically can't use the service) says they can change prices at any time (at least last time I looked at it ).

Sadly, the customer is stuck. And you will find this fairly common with other companies as well :(. When you are looking, make sure to look at all the stuff including the ToU/ToS for them.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Again, not saying I agree with it, defending Rogers, etc.

Just that them, amongst others, have huge legal teams, which are able to write them selfs out of most thing with these legal documents.

What was it a user found in there recently. Something along the lines of Rogers is not liable for someone dieing if one of their hardware fails and causes it. 😛

chadrock
I'm Here A Lot

Straight out of the terms of service:

"Unless otherwise specified in the Service Agreement, we may change, at any time, any charges, features, content, functionality, structure or any other aspects of the Services, as well as any term or provision of the Service Agreement, upon notice to you. If you do not accept a change to the affected Services, your sole remedy is to terminate the affected Services provided under the Service Agreement, within 30 days of your receipt of our notice of change to the Services."

Unfortunately there's no mention of paying termination fees in that clause, meaning anyone who's prices are changed while they're under a contract has the right to opt-out of their contract by cancelling the service with 30 days notice.  Nobody from Rogers ever argued that I was incorrect about the wording in the clause, they only ever argued about pricing having nothing to do with getting a free PVR and therefore wasn't eligible to cancel.  Immoral, illegal and downright dirty.  No other words to describe it.

ccrashh
I'm an Enthusiast

Well, I'll throw my 2 cents into this, for what those 2 cents are worth...

I also cancelled my Cable TV, which is due to be disconnected on Feb 8th (I had to give that 30 days notice thing).  I had downgraded to Digital Basic Cable, and found that in a month we watched, on average, about an hour or two of cable TV.  Frankly, there is NOTHING on Cable TV (digital basic or VIP) that is not also available online.  With Netflix (US), Crackle (kinda crappy but still has some things) and things like Hulu+ - why would anyone with even a modicum of computer knowledge put up with one of Canada's main TV providers (Bell, Rogers, and Videotron)?  Even if you don't know computer technology all that well, you probably know someone who does.

Short of being in the boonies and not having access to hispeed internet or unlimited (see Teksavvy), Cable and/or satellite TV is useless.

Rogers gave me a $10 gift certificate when I told them why I wanted to cancel. During the conversation, the rep tried to convince me to keep the Digital Basic because it was important that I have local news.  I have a radio for emergencies, and the internet for everything else.