When Enough is Enough!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: When Enough is Enough!!!

Oops!  I re-checked my Fibe quote from Bell and it's actually MORE expensive. The quote above was for the select pack for HDTV. They offer 3 packs - good, better, best. The select pack is between the good and better pack wheras Rogers digital VIP is more similar to the best pack. Also the good, better, and select pack dont include the asian channels which I have to get for another $10 bux. So I would have to get the better pack + asian channel pack which is still NOT better than the best pack or digital VIP with rogers. Argh!!!!  I asked for a re-quote and the fibe deal now comes to $156/mo first year. I also have to pay upfront installation cost  of $49.95 that appears once on the first bill. Thus making the first bill est. $212 bux!! Thereafter being $156/mo for first year. They said just before the first year ends you can call their retention department and they always give you a better price for 2nd as they dont want to "lose you", whatever...  Also, you keep the PVR and HD boxes after 3 yrs. But as yall know most HD/PVR boxes never last 3 yrs without issues. So they said most peeps rent the boxes after first yr promos are over so they can still be serviceable and exchangrable after the first promos's are over going forward. Also, there are no Bell/Fibe stores where you can exchange boxes like you can for Rogers even if you rent them which also sucks. You have make a service call which takes 1-3 business days for a bell tech to come and give you a new box, argh!!!  So if you have an issue with your fibe box you have to wait 1-3 days to get a new one. It's possible you wont have hdtv for up to 3 days waiting for a new box (if that's the issue causing you not to have signal) whereas with rogers you swap it the same day... 

So overall my quote with five changes drastically in cost.

$156 + $49.95 install fee first bill, first mo. = $212.44

remaining 11 mos on bell fibe @$156 = $1716

Total = $1928, year 1 with Bell Fibe tv.  Rogers is still $135 x 12 = $1620, Difference $308!!!!! Not worth switching to Bell fibe for me, SMH.

Keep in mind this is considering Bell HDTV at better pack + chinese channel pack is STILL less channels overall than Rogers digital VIP, argh!!! Bell fibe internet is slower at 15/10 pack. Currently I'm getting 28-32 mbs on avg download/0.5 mbs upload.

Conclusion: FOR ME, Bell fibe tv is not worth the switch from Rogers given price/value/services received.  

@Gdkitty wrote:
I think that's the kicker in the end. Which one has the most important part for you. If you need that better pvr, and the channels, etc, might be the better choice. Or the upload on the net. But while not quite as high, Rogers is raising theirs in the next month 🙂

I think what limits the fibe, is that from the closest CO, it's still only twisted pair to your house, which has a much lower max bandwidth than cable. So Rogers will tend to have less overall bandwidth issues than twisted pair.

Where did you hear about this??

Any idea how much the new upload mbs will be or what packages will be affected??

Thanx.

I Plan to Stick Around

Changes started Nov 7 to be completed by Dec 1

Express 25mbs/2mbs (currently 18/0.5)
Extreme 35mbs/3mbs (currently 28/1)
Extreme plus 45mbs/4mbs (currently 32/1)

***For current plans using D3 modems only, if you're using the old D2, nothing changes***

Although I am a Rogers employee, comments expressed are my own and do not represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. I am not speaking on behalf of the company.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ScottLang wrote:

Changes started Nov 7 to be completed by Dec 1

Express 25mbs/2mbs (currently 18/0.5)
Extreme 35mbs/3mbs (currently 28/1)
Extreme plus 45mbs/4mbs (currently 32/1)

***For current plans using D3 modems only, if you're using the old D2, nothing changes***

This 🙂  Thanks ScottLang

The USAGE, as far as i know, has not changed.. the same caps (though this could always change later). 

And as Scott said, the big thing to remember, these changes, only effect people with the D3 gateways.

Yep I checked with tech and client care and they both said those new free internet upgrades are available. Be sure to ask tech if your internet modem is D3, if not swap it for a D3. It might cost you a buck more or so... Another reason why it's better to rent. 😉

I spoke to client care and they added the code to up my express pack to those new speeds for FREE. It works!  I just went on speedtest.net and here's the new speed data. Basically rogers said they removed filters to increase speed on a rollout basis. but for those who want it now, you can get via customer care - internet.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2303846647.png

They also mention rogers is upgrading their HD quality on the cable side. Supposed to be better quality over teh next month or two. I guess that will solve all the complaints of jerking, jittering, fuzzy, and motion blur everyone has been mentioning. They call it IPV or something. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Too bad they could not also update the quality of their D3 modems!

LOL, I'm bored and did the speedtest.net again. Here's the most recent test results. niccce!! Highest results since I've been on rogers internet. 

ping 14 ms

download 53.79 mbs

upload 1.98 mbs

Link:  http://www.speedtest.net/result/2304205573.png

Another result from speedtest.net. Just did it now.. keep in mind I have the Express internet pack after the mentioned FREE speed upgrade. Never had a test result this high before. It does fluctuate but minimum is 25 mbs download/2 mbs upload as disclosed. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2304665746.png

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Well I also have joined the band wagon of sorts and have switch everything over to Bell at my g/f house.   Having a great time with all the HD channels and a variety of channels. 

I left when my Rogers Bill went up and then they decided to take away the Disney jr channel etc from my package..........I have children  so  if the channels go so do I.  I switched over and for the same price (maybe less)  I get all the channels Rogers took away.

And as soon as I can figure out how to get a dish on my mothers building I will be doing the same thing there.  Its a shame that i seem to get the same internet speed on a phone line as I did on cable, I guess its because they dont automatically throttle back my internet use if i play WOW or COD online like Rogers was doing according to the CRTC.