What type is Rogers Hitron CGN3 FIRMWARE

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glykos
I'm Here A Lot

What type is Rogers Hitron CGN3 FIRMWARE

Hi,

Could someone please help me identify the firmware for the Hiltron CGN3 modem?  Is it:

DD_WRT, Tomato or PFSENCE....I'm trying to configure a VPN service and it doesn't identify the Hiltron brand as a supported router.  I'm new to setting up a personal VPN service so my apologies in advance if I've misfrased my question.

G

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What type is Rogers Hitron CGN3 FIRMWARE

DD-WRT, tomato and PFSENCE, are CUSTOM firmwares/software for routers.. that you put on another brand router.

The hitron is running firmware it creates.. like cisco makes their own for their routers, SMC for theirs, etc.

Those custom firmwares is what would be be put OVERTOP/INPLACE of the existing manufacturers one.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

DD-WRT, tomato and PFSENCE, are CUSTOM firmwares/software for routers.. that you put on another brand router.

The hitron is running firmware it creates.. like cisco makes their own for their routers, SMC for theirs, etc.

Those custom firmwares is what would be be put OVERTOP/INPLACE of the existing manufacturers one.

View solution in original post

glykos
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you Gdkitty for your quick response!!! Sooo, in your opinion, (and once again...sorry if I'm not phrasing the question right), would I be able to set up the VPN service using anyone of those firmwares?
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Donno.. that will all depend on your VPN service, etc.

IF its stuck to HAVING to use say one of those... you CANT install those on the hitron.

But, you could put your hitron into BRIDGED MODE, and attach a 3rd party router, which is compatable with one of those custom firmawares.

glykos
I'm Here A Lot

Hi GDkitty, I AM stuck with the firmware I listed or it isn't supported by them...could you please tell me the process to put the modem in a bridged mode? Lastly, what are the advantages to have the modem in bridged mode?
Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!!
glykos
I'm Here A Lot

Hi GDkitty, never mind with the process (I should stop being lazy and search before I ask) I found the process posted at http://www.rogers.com/web/support/internet/home-networking/247?setLanguage=en
Just curious though...what are the advantages having the modem in a bridged mode?
Best Regards, G
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, in bridged mode.. its effectively just a MODEM.
you are not using the wireless, routing, anything else from the device itself.
It allows you to use your OWN choice of 3rd party router, which you then have 100% control over, inculding putting custom firmware, etc on.