What should i get

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

What should i get

Im currently using an iphone4 but need to upgrade my wifes iphone 3g. Im thinking of going in a new direction with android. The htc evo seems really good but its been out for quite a while in the states. I want to get her something powerful that will last. Should i get the evo? Or is there something else coming i should wait for?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: What should i get

@jayrod1981 wrote:
Im currently using an iphone4 but need to upgrade my wifes iphone 3g. Im thinking of going in a new direction with android. The htc evo seems really good but its been out for quite a while in the states. I want to get her something powerful that will last. Should i get the evo? Or is there something else coming i should wait for?

There will be the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE rsn (real soon now) and, apparently the Nexus Prime is coming in a while.  Both phones are being lusted after at this moment. 

I'm Here A Lot

And how are these better than the htc? Power, camera, batt life, interface? Just want to make the right choice if its gonna last upwards of 3 years. I have a friend who has a nexus and doesnt like it. Dont know how old it is. Never owned an android. Some things seem cofusing. Like when an update comes out not every phone can upgrade. Im used to the iphone which is a bit simpler.
I Plan to Stick Around

HTC Evo 3D

3G Network

Dual-core @1.2Ghz

Dual 5 Megapixel Stereoscopic Camera

4.3" qHD 540x960 

Android 2.3

1 Gig internal RAM (8 Gig microSD included)

32 Gig expandable microSD

Full specs:  http://www.htc.com/ca/products/evo3d-rogers?view=1-1&sort=0#tech-specs

Samsung Galaxy S II Infuse 4G

4G (LTE) Network capable

Dual-Core @1.5 Ghz

4.5" Super AMOLED Plus Display 800 x 480

8 MP Rear Camera w/Flash

1.5 MP Front Camera

Android™ 2.3

16 Gig internal storage

32 Gig expandable microSD

Full specs:  http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphones/SGH-I997ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetyp...

Samsung Galaxy Nexus  (aka Nexus Prime) (To be announced on October 11, 2011)

4G Network capable

Dual-Core @1.5Ghz Exynos

4.6" SuperAMOLED HD screen 1280 x 720

Android 2.4/4.0 (IceCream Sandwich)

8 MP Rear Camera

2 MP Front Camera

NFC  chip (Near Field Communication)

16 GB internal storage

32 GB Expandable microSD

(Possible LapDock like the Motorola Atrix)

*edited for typo/fonts

I Plan to Stick Around

@jayrod1981 wrote:
And how are these better than the htc? Power, camera, batt life, interface? Just want to make the right choice if its gonna last upwards of 3 years. I have a friend who has a nexus and doesnt like it. Dont know how old it is. Never owned an android. Some things seem cofusing. Like when an update comes out not every phone can upgrade. Im used to the iphone which is a bit simpler.

To answer your question yes updates are fractured in the Android world.  Every carriers (AT&T,Rogers,Bell,Telus,etc..) want it's own softwares/interface/tweaks added and must send them to the manufacturer to incorporate in the Android image they install on the phone.

When Google release a new firmware version and a provider wants it it must ask the manufacturer to build him a new android image with his specs. The upgrade will them be build, sent to Google for approvable/test/stability then sent back to the manufacturer who can then send it to the carrier for internal testing. When the carrier approves it it's released as an update to the clients.

This is the cycle of the "open source" nature of Android. Apple is closed source and will do everything in-house and pushes the update to the users when it's ready. It may seem easier to end-user but the whole process is quite similar. It's just that Android OS is incorporated to the phone by many manufacturer rather then sollely made/distributed by the same entity.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'll get the new Nexus because it's unlocked on all levels (system and carriers) and the software is way more stable and tested than the custom ROMs from HTC and Samsung ... and it gets the new updates first.
I Plan to Stick Around

Well it's unlocked ONLY if you buy it unsubsidized.

Nexus will be network lock when subsidized by the telcos as usual.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info. With your answer and some extra research i think im leaning towards the samsung galaxy s 2. Seems faster and more powerful with a great camera. Hopefully it will stand the test of time.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Silvertag wrote:

WRONG.

All HTC Nexus One and Samsung Nexus S sold until now in Canada (and in the rest of the world) are fully unlocked.

It doesn't mean you won't be locked to the carrier by contract if you get it subsidized but the phone will work on all compatible networks in Canada (and the rest of the world).

I Plan to Stick Around

@Mathieu wrote:

@Silvertag wrote:

WRONG.

All HTC Nexus One and Samsung Nexus S sold until now in Canada (and in the rest of the world) are fully unlocked.

It doesn't mean you won't be locked to the carrier by contract if you get it subsidized but the phone will work on all compatible networks in Canada (and the rest of the world).

*Bang his head on the wall* 

Your totally right .. My brain skipped the "Nexus" is a Google phone and always sim unlocked .. Thanks for the reminder 🙂