What's the point of posting the Android OS update schedule?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What's the point of posting the Android OS update schedule?

So Rogers posts the schedule for the JellyBean update for various phones such as the Galaxy S 2. JB for the Galaxy S 2 was scheduled for December, then January, now February. What's the point of posting the schedule if you have no intention or are not capable of making the date?

I'm not sure why Rogers thinks it's better to post garbage rather than nothing at all. Perhaps they can put someone who has some competency in charge of posting schedules. And hopefully someone who's accountable when the (real) schedule is missed.

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: What's the point of posting the Android OS update schedule?

Hello Alph

Bell & Telus have the same schedule as well. You must read the whole post instead of what you want to read. The post says "* exact version may be different by device

**release dates are subject to change

***all brand names & logos are trademarks of their respective owners"

This means they can change the dates anytime they want. I am very upset as they keep doing this on every single update they post. I wonder why in the world they would do this & then they change it. They wanted to compete with Telus & Bell as they have the same as well. The problem is some updates pay take time to get them tested / add their bloatware & a few other things. The problem is that this should not take more then 1-2 months at all.  Others may comment & say " Its the manufactore & such". Its really not as ROGERS posted the dates, not the manufactore. The manufactore gave the updates to Rogers months ago. They seem to not understand that tho. I blame Rogers anyways. They have the updates & take their time to release it. This looks bad on them & give us lame excuses all the time.

You wont get any more info then we all know here unless it gets leaked out. So far nothing has been leaked out. The mods that edit the post, get the info from the back end team. Blame the back end team, not the mods on here. They just post what they get told. The info the back end team has, they get it from the developers that do the updates. In all, this is a mistake on Rogers part for always changing the dates. They should stick to the dates & not change it.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi Alph,

We posted the schedule in response to requests from our customers who wanted to be kept up to date on future OS upgrade dates, even if those dates were subject to change. As the schedule notes, it is subject to change and we update it with the latest information as frequently as we can.

When it comes to OS upgrades, we have to wait to get them from the manufacturer then test them on our network before releasing them.

Sarah

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I lost faith in Rogers technical support and staff. I don't believe that it takes so long to approved JB when over 10% of phones running Android are already on JB.

As I'm typing this message my Nexus 4 is on his way. No more wainting for ltest firmware.  

I like Rogers for its network not for its tech support.

Guy 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello picolo2000

What RogersSarah said is true tho. The updates times & releases can change anytime. The problem is that Rogers does this with every single update they have. They always say " we have to wait to get them from the manufacturer then test them on our network before releasing them.". The problem with that sentence is that they do not realize that customers actually speak to the manufacturer & get the info straight from them. Rogers has the updates but takes their time to check them, test them, add their bloatware & send them out. I wish this process was faster & us get the updates faster but they like taking their time. Rogers gets the updates months before they release them tho.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

RogersSarah, I'm glad that Rogers is listening to customers on the update front. Great move.  I believe that good/bad news is better than no news.

That being said,  I will never again buy a carrier branded phone. Being nerdy, I was so annoyed with my last two Rogers Android phones because of this.  The delay cause by the manufacturer and then the carrier customizations is rediculous. Switched to the Google Nexus line of phones and have been thrilled on the update speeds ever since. Updates right from the mother ship, yee ha!

RogersSarah, if you have any ability to send feedback to the Rogers "mothership", tell them that customers don't give a crap about Rogers branding (and most that I've talked to hate it).  They just care about the device and the network quality.  Aside from the My Account, the Rogers apps I've tried are broken anyway I'm don't see the value of preloading them...especially since they're available on the Play Store/Apple Store.

So, test the updates on the network and then get them out to customers.   End result, happier customers.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AdamUpNorth

As much as i agree with you, Rogers will never change. Believe me on this. Many people have tried saying the same & look, nothing changed. They still add their branding & bloatware on phones. The only phones they can not control is the Nexus line & the iPhone's. Those are the only phones they can not add bloatware & branding on.

Most of the Rogers apps are broken & not useful at all anyways. They take their time to add bloatware & test them anyways.

Truly i hope one day Rogers changes & does this for their customer. I wont get my hopes up tho.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This being said and well said, JB for Samsung S II was released almost 2 months ago at SFR (France). 

If Rogers is running short with staff....I can do beta testing at a very low price.

Guy

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hahaha.. I will beta test it for free! 😉
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello picolo2000

Rogers does not need beta testers. They have enough developers. Like i said tho, they take their time to update phones. This is how Rogers has been for years on end with every single OS update in the market. They claim that the manufactorers give the update to them late when its not true. I have spoke to 2 Rogers developers that test the updates before releasing them in which have told me they have the updates for a few months but take time to test each one out & such.