What's the point of posting the Android OS update schedule?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: What's the point of posting the Android OS update schedule?

Fairly easily.

David Schuster wrote that they have been reaching out to carriers for Lab testing of the new 4.4.2 GSM firmware. Rogers doesn't have it posted on the updates page. This is for the international version of the RAZRHD (ie; Rogers model) whereas the americans got their CDMA model upgraded recently. So clearly Moto wants to get it out to the handsets.

I'm not pinning you into a corner asking for an answer but I have to agree with others in the thread here. Currently, it seems the only way for me to get updated firmware for my Moto is to go 3rd party (custom ROM) or buy a new Moto handset from Rogers (sorry, I'm not spending that kind of money again when it appears the carrier doesn't support their devices long-term). I didn't rent-to-own my handset, I bought it outright. Could I upgrade? Sure. But why? If I'm forced to upgrade, it makes more sense (to me) to look at other carriers. Now that Verizon has a foothold (of sorts) in Canada, why not them? Or even TELUS, whom I work for and could easily get a discounted top-of-the-line handset.

Point here is I don't want to switch carriers or handsets. I would prefer Rogers to keep supporting their products/technology as other carriers do. Seems reasoable to me.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello flatline

I do agree with you on them supporting it the device but as i said it all depends on the carriers & the manufacturer. If the carrier does not want to send it out, the manufacture can't do anything. I do wish they did send it out tho seeing as they should have done it BUT maybe the sells for the device hasn't enough & Rogers didn't want to bother sending it out? Other carriers even American ones do this from time to time.

AS for Verizon. They won't be coming to Canada anytime soon. They already made this clear as they backed off. So your options are only the Canadian carriers you have said or are. If you like to go to Telus, so be it but i would suggest reading reviews about how Telus is before making a switch. I have been on many threads / forums where people complain about them & that they do not even carry many phones unlike the others do. ( If you search, you will see this.).

In the end. All carriers have issues. Rogers issue it seems they do not want to update the RAZR HD due to some reason. What is the reason? None of us will ever know us none of us work for them. Hopefully they do send it out tho.

Motorola Canada site says this

"

MOTOROLA RAZR HD LTE

This device will be upgraded to KitKat (Android 4.4)
"

This means it WILL get it but when is the question. No one knows & Rogers will only say it when they release it. I doubt Motorola Canada would have put that up if Rogers wouldn't send it out.

https://motorola-global-portal-en-ca.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1975#gs=eyJndWlkZUl...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Your arguments make sense. For me, the switch to TELUS would be because of the ridicuously low prices I'd pay in comparison to "the average joe", but that's a company discount.

I'm in no rush to leave Rogers but I'm also in no rush to stop lobbying Rogers on this matter either. If that means posting it in every forum here, so be it.

Either way, my posting is not intended to be inflammatory. The intent is for Rogers to step up. Plenty of carriers out there, yes all with problems, but it goes a long way to customers to continue to support products you sell (or have sold) for as long as the manufacturer does without strong-arming their decisions in your favor.

(I realize the irony of the above statement, I do.)

PS.. I did see that on the Moto site. Check their G+ page, they're actively getting ready to push out the GSM update. There's even a french soak test out there. My concern is Rogers doesn't say they're pushing the update, only Moto. Would Moto say this if Rogers wasn't taking it? Sure, there's plenty of RAZRHD's in Europe, South America, etc.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello flatline

I wouldn't suggest spamming the threads with the same thing as it can lead to get your posts removed per the rules of the community forums. It would be nice for Rogers to take a notice of this & do something / say something just to let you guys know if its coming or not. That WOULD be fair...

I do agree with you & like i said, i do hope they can step up & say something / release it as it would be nice.

Rogers will ONLY say that they will release a update ONCE they are done testing it / ready to push it out. Rogers doesn't push out the update FYI. Once Rogers has finished the testing / making sure it works without any major issues ( network ones) they send it back to Motorola & they send it out to the devices. Just if you didn't know how it works.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello flatline

Hopefully they do say something or send the update out for the customers which are still using the RAZR HD.