What's the cheapest way to get television on an unused HDTV?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Regular

What's the cheapest way to get television on an unused HDTV?

I've got one unused HDTV, and my TV package is the "VIP Package". What's the cheapest way to connect that TV to my Rogers TV service? From what I understand, my package allows for up to four televisions, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I'd like to know which TV box I'd have to get to connect the HDTV to the service.

From what I understand, only the three boxes from here are available: http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page

They are all pretty expensive, for a TV that I will use only intermittently. Is the Nextbox Digital Terminal, for $250 (I usually plan to buy rather than rent) the cheapest box I'd have to get to get HD channels? Getting the Standard Definition Digital Terminal would give me no HD channels I guess? And I guess I'd only have the option of renting this rather than buying?

Is it possible to buy a used digital terminal somehow, such as from eBay, that would be cheaper? I don't necessarily want to avoid buying directly from Rogers, but I'm just wondering if buying a box from, say, somewhere like Amazon or Staples would still work with my Rogers Digital TV package. I just want to know all my options.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What's the cheapest way to get television on an unused HDTV?

OK, you actualy have 4 options.

HD PVR

HD Terminal

SD Terminal

DTA.

PVR is not worth it.. dont bother there on infrequent TV.

Now, on that TV, it really comes down to the CONTENT and QUALITY.  IF you want HD content to be viewed there, in HD.  You will need to get the HD terminal.

IF you are ok with SD content, you can just get an SD terminal.  Now you are correct, they are not available to buy anymore regularily.. but if you can find a store that still has them to sell, they still can be added.

Both of these will give you the FULL channel lineup, just in SD or HD format.

The last option is the DTA.  Its primarily for the analog subscribers.. but you can use it as well.  Is it FREE.  BUT.. it is only SD, and will only give you the 1-60 channel range.

As for the question about buying a USED one.  yes, you can add a used one to your account.  The ONLY thing is to make sure of, is that the previous person has REMOVED them from their account, before they sell it to you.  If they have not, you will not be able to add it to your account.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, you actualy have 4 options.

HD PVR

HD Terminal

SD Terminal

DTA.

PVR is not worth it.. dont bother there on infrequent TV.

Now, on that TV, it really comes down to the CONTENT and QUALITY.  IF you want HD content to be viewed there, in HD.  You will need to get the HD terminal.

IF you are ok with SD content, you can just get an SD terminal.  Now you are correct, they are not available to buy anymore regularily.. but if you can find a store that still has them to sell, they still can be added.

Both of these will give you the FULL channel lineup, just in SD or HD format.

The last option is the DTA.  Its primarily for the analog subscribers.. but you can use it as well.  Is it FREE.  BUT.. it is only SD, and will only give you the 1-60 channel range.

As for the question about buying a USED one.  yes, you can add a used one to your account.  The ONLY thing is to make sure of, is that the previous person has REMOVED them from their account, before they sell it to you.  If they have not, you will not be able to add it to your account.

View solution in original post

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes you need an HD Box to get HD Channels. If your going to go the purchasing route, It may be more Cost effective to get an HD Box from kijiji or ebay, But Beware that  those Boxes dont have warranties, and if something goes wrong with it, the cost is out of your own pocket.

Personally, I would Take the Next Box on the Rent To Own option. Sure its $7.50 per month but A) thats better than Regular price rental and B) It's still rental equipment until the 36th Month, so if something goes wrong with it all you have to do is swap the box at a rogers store.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

why wouldn't you go on eBay or Craigs List to see if you can find a used one.

You are allowed to own your own terminal and hook them up at no extra cost, you just need to them to authorize it after you hook it up.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cac59 is correct, you can use a used one as well.

Just make 100% sure the seller has had it removed from their account. If not, you will not be able to add it to yours. (This happens fairly often with used)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One more important thing to mention,  Rogers is so far the only provider that still offers SD boxes and HD as seperate. All other providers are offering one Box which is HD, to people regardless if they have HD or SD television set.  That means if you want to watch an HD only channel even in SD quality, you would need to get the HD box on Rogers.  for example. Discover World HD, is only available in HD channel, even if u have the SD box on rogers you wont be able to tune it unless you have the HD box,  same with HDNet, and other HD only channels on Rogers such as EQHD, RadX etc..   Where as on other providers, they offer a one box solution which even if you have an older TV set from 1980, you can still watch it, though it will be downconverted to 480i and have black bars on the top/bottom.  it will still tune.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

On buying a used box....

make sure its a used ROGERS box.  Other cable companies may use the same equipment (Videotron, Cox), but they can't be authorized on Rogers netwrok.

Highlighted

Great help from the community here!

You fine folks covered pretty much everything I would have suggested.