What modem should I buy with my package?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnacondAX
I'm Here A Lot

What modem should I buy with my package?

I have a Motorola SB5100 thats 10 years old and its died. I need to get a new modem and don't know what one to buy. I already have wireless router and don't want to pay for some crazy high end modem.

I have the Hi-Speed Express Unlimited package 33 down and 2 up that I have been happy with.

Any ideas ?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Re: What modem should I buy with my package?

If you had a SB5100, that's DOCSIS 2, which means your Express wasn't the 30+ megabit/sec version. Probably closer to 12-15 megabits/sec.

So, the way I see it, you have two options:

1. Delay the inevitable by picking up a used DOCSIS 2 modem, or

2. Embrace the DOCSIS 3 world...

If you go with #2, then you will need to get a gateway all-in-one modem. Rogers does not offer straight modems like the SB5100 in DOCSIS 3 world; this has been debated for years and years and that's just how it is. The gateways can be put in 'bridge mode', which turns them into straight modems. Most people here will tell you that the gateways are lousy routers/wifi access points and recommend running them in bridge mode with a good high-end router (Asus RT-AC68U is the forum favourite).

In terms of actually buying one, the CGN3 (which is regularly on sale at Future Shop/Best Buy) is basically the only option. Its flaws are well-documented here, but in bridge mode, it works, and since it supports 24 downstream DOCSIS 3 channels, it's pretty futureproof. (As rentals with the lower speed plans, Rogers also offers the CGN2/DPC3825; I don't believe they can be purchased. Both are fine bridged; if you use them in gateway mode the DPC3825 is far better)

Also, you'll need to switch to a DOCSIS 3 plan. Review the current options on the Rogers web site - note that the posted rates include modem rental ($12/month for the CGN3) - if you buy a modem you won't pay the modem rental fee. You'll probably find you'll get about 2-3X the speed for the same amount of money, though maybe less so if you want unlimited (note, too, that if you have 3 Rogers services, you get an extra 200GB for free on the D3 plans, which may reduce the need for unlimited)...

View solution in original post

All Replies
VivienM
I'm an Advisor

If you had a SB5100, that's DOCSIS 2, which means your Express wasn't the 30+ megabit/sec version. Probably closer to 12-15 megabits/sec.

So, the way I see it, you have two options:

1. Delay the inevitable by picking up a used DOCSIS 2 modem, or

2. Embrace the DOCSIS 3 world...

If you go with #2, then you will need to get a gateway all-in-one modem. Rogers does not offer straight modems like the SB5100 in DOCSIS 3 world; this has been debated for years and years and that's just how it is. The gateways can be put in 'bridge mode', which turns them into straight modems. Most people here will tell you that the gateways are lousy routers/wifi access points and recommend running them in bridge mode with a good high-end router (Asus RT-AC68U is the forum favourite).

In terms of actually buying one, the CGN3 (which is regularly on sale at Future Shop/Best Buy) is basically the only option. Its flaws are well-documented here, but in bridge mode, it works, and since it supports 24 downstream DOCSIS 3 channels, it's pretty futureproof. (As rentals with the lower speed plans, Rogers also offers the CGN2/DPC3825; I don't believe they can be purchased. Both are fine bridged; if you use them in gateway mode the DPC3825 is far better)

Also, you'll need to switch to a DOCSIS 3 plan. Review the current options on the Rogers web site - note that the posted rates include modem rental ($12/month for the CGN3) - if you buy a modem you won't pay the modem rental fee. You'll probably find you'll get about 2-3X the speed for the same amount of money, though maybe less so if you want unlimited (note, too, that if you have 3 Rogers services, you get an extra 200GB for free on the D3 plans, which may reduce the need for unlimited)...

View solution in original post

AnacondAX
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your reply, I guess I have allot to think about.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3407063184

This was my speedtest when things were working 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@AnacondAX wrote:

Thanks for your reply, I guess I have allot to think about.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3407063184

This was my speedtest when things were working 🙂

Okay, for DOCSIS 2 that's outstanding. That's not Express, then. Someone else who knows the old DOCSIS 2 plans better than me can probably fill it...

Now, take a look at your invoice and see how much you were paying, and let's see what DOCSIS 3 land can give you for that money.

For the record, here is what I just got: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4065633292

(Since I bought my CGN3, I think this costs me $74/month with the old pricing, probably $77/month now, including 550GB/month)

AnacondAX
I'm Here A Lot

This is part of my bill now, my wife did some dealings with rogers. I still don't know how we get that discount. hehe

I am thinking the DOCSIS 3 will be the way to go. I just hope we can keep the discount 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@AnacondAX wrote:

This is part of my bill now, my wife did some dealings with rogers. I still don't know how we get that discount. hehe

http://s17.postimg.org/fn7ww2u6n/bill.jpg

I am thinking the DOCSIS 3 will be the way to go. I just hope we can keep the discount 🙂

I think your wife may have also somehow gotten someone to give you the DOCSIS 3 flavour of Express without DOCSIS 3 hardware. (One reason I think this: the DOCSIS 2 flavours tend to be called 'Rogers Hi-Speed Express', the DOCSIS 3 flavours are just 'Hi-Speed Express')

In my experience, the retention discounts usually apply to any plan, so that shouldn't be a concern. But if I am right that you somehow already have the DOCSIS 3 unlimited Express - I am not sure whether switching to the 'Hybrid Fiber 30' or 'Hybrid Fiber 60' makes much sense...

Maybe you should just pick up a CGN3, put it in bridge mode, and continue with life...

AnacondAX
I'm Here A Lot

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

@AnacondAX wrote:

I guess this would be it ?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-rogers-advanced-wireless-dual-band-modem-cgn3-rog-engl...

and then bridge it..

Yup, that's the thing. Not the best price for it, but if you don't want to rent it for $12/month (or rent a CGN2/DPC3825 for $8/month), it's your only choice.

And then once that two-year contract is done, your wife can negotiate you a sweet deal on the 150 megabit plan. 🙂

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Oh, one other thought: I don't know how you can confirm this, but some retention discount codes will also discount modem rental.

So, if that was the case with yours, then you might only be paying ~60% of the rental price...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Keep your eyes open for sales at BestBuy and Future Shop.  That modem routinely goes on sale for $150.  I think Bestbuy is a better location as you can get a freebie gift card with it to boot.  I think mine was $25.