cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is up with the slow data?!

iarekay
I'm Here A Lot

I have tested my evo 3d, htc one x (multiple radio versions) and my wife's iphone 4s on the rogers network. And while Rogers claims we have HSPA+ my max download is only 2.2Mbps across all 3 devices in Winnipeg. It's ridiculous that we pay for this Data that claims hspa+ and yet will only work at 3G speeds. Meanwhile other hspa+ networks manage 4-10Mbps. I could understand not hitting 10 or even 8 or 7 but geeze.. Come on.

And while I'm at it. where does Rogers find their tech support staff?... Wow.

****Edited Labels****

20 REPLIES 20

Re: What is up with the slow data?!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello iarekay

Winnipeg is supposed to get HSPA+. Which area are you in?

Downtown Winnipeg. Data is sooo slow here and i feel like I pay for this 6gb plan for nothing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hmm that should not be happening at all. How long has this been going on?

I've only noticed it within recent months.

I should also mention that the phones do claim to be connected to HSPA + networks. The speed's just not there.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
It seems that the network is not letting it go threw. The phones support HSPA+ but for some reason, Rogers does not let it go threw. What does tech support say?

They claim the towers are up and working fine. I explained it can't be coincidence that I am getting the same results across multiple devices and asked if they could escalate it. She said she would however I was surprised I had to ask as I figured they would be interested to know and look into it. I've been a Tech Support Rep and understand that a good company wants to be aware of things like this so as to do their best to correct it. Obviously I got the impression this was not the case with Rogers.

jasondksagert
I've Been Around

I have a Galaxy S3, on 4G HSPA.  I've tried various speed tests, max download speed I've gotten after midnight so far is 860 kbps.  I know the speed test is working, b/c when I do it on WiFi I get 20 Mbs download.  Rogers advertises "up to 21 Mbps"... and I can't even get over 1.  Other people want to post their top speeds?  Cellular providers need to start listing minimum speeds to be more transparent in their speeds.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jasondksagert

Which area do you live in?

Also may i ask have you changed the setting on the Speed test app? When you first download the app, its default lt will be in Kbps. Go into Tools = Display Speed IN & see which one is selected.

I live in Scarborough ( Midland & Kingston) & get this:

With LTE:

Ping = 40s
Download = 48.02Mbps
Upload = 20.15

With 4G ( HSPA+)

Ping = 59ms
Download = 15.03Mbps
Upload = 5.13Mbps

I am in Winnipeg - in fact in the ROGERS building - and get the following results:

ping:221ms

download: 2.08 Mbps

Upload: 0.56 Mbps

on an Xperia Arc. The bars icon seems to switch between 3G and HSPA

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello aamyot

Are you using a Xperia Arc or a S3?

If you are using the Xperia Arc, you should have been able to get a more download speed. The Arc only has GSM / EDGE / 3G & 4G ( HSPA+).

it is a LT15a

josh3794
I've Been Around

I have run the speed tests on my phone, my wifes and my friend runs his off and on.

With an HTC Onex, a Galaxy S3 and a Motorola Razr HD none of us have had our speeds have gone over 2Mbps at anytime.

The speeds are horrible all the time. 

confyzone
I Plan to Stick Around

Im on my Galaxy Nexus and only get 0.84mbps download and 0.22upload

What i want everyone in the manitoba region to note is that it took rogers making agreements with mts and vice versa for the 3G/H+ network to be spread across manitoba like it has. So with both companies sharing towers and now with MTS turning on LTE in Winnipeg/Brandon for their network and no new towers I've heard of being built, 2 companies worth of customers on 3G/H+ will slow anyone down.

nToxik
I Plan to Stick Around

I also work downtown Winnipeg and I seem to be getting slow internet on my GS3.

How do I test what my speeds really are?

Edit:

I just downloaded an app from the Play store called Internet Speed Test.

Results:

Down:  3.48 Mb/s

Up: .708 Mb/s

I then downloaded Speedtest.net app and get the following:

ping: 367ms

Down: 3.38Mbps

Up: 1.04 Mbps

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Just noticed a massive slow down on my GNex here in Ottawa. Just started this morning. Talked to Rogers and they said the network is fine. I changed the SIM and no difference. I will wait to see if it gets better over the next few days.

torstar
I've Been Around

I am in downtown Toronto and my phone is almost unusable with HSPA+ data (galaxy nexus). Had to connect to wifi!

mousetamer
Same phone same issue. Curious if it is phone or network related. Maybe its the Mayans

mousetamer
Mine are back to normal as of last night.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I had this happen yesterday & just right now for a minute or so. I am guessing its because of the high winds & weather we are getting which might affect it as well.
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 9 in conversation